PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Today I decided that it's about time that I finally used some manners by stepping out of the shadows where I've been lurking on this forum and introduce myself.
My name is Chad. I have been living in Sacramento for the past 15 years and before that I was a product of the beautiful Pacific Northwest . . . which is where I first took up smoking pipes while in college. Some of the guys and I would stand out front of the dorms and "speak the truth" with our pipes - a saying I co-opted from a class when I learned that some Native Americans believed that smoking a pipe made it impossible to tell a lie. In addition to some good old-fashioned male bonding it was a great chance to meet girls. (No, really!) I can't tell you how many times we had girls stop and smell the aroma and say something like, "that reminds me of my grandpa."
These days most of my pipe smoking is a solitary event but that time is something I cherish. I do still make time to "speak the truth" with friends and with the fine men at my pipe club.
I have a collector's mentalitysickness so I have more pipes and tobacco than I need, but from what I've read here that doesn't make me at all unique.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hello friends! I'm a relatively new pipe smoker compared to many (6 months or so), though I dove into the hobby pretty head-first so I feel I've been learning a lot. For me the joys of pipe smoking are found in slowing down, being quiet, and complementing settings that are already peaceful, meaning I love pairing piping with a good blues record or with a sit in the park. I've lived in Chicago (actual Chicago, not the suburbs) for nine years and I absolutely love my city. I'm studying to be a pastor and dream of planting a church in the city built on conversation, racial reconciliation, and caring for the poor in my neighborhood. Currently I'm serving as a hospital chaplain for part of my seminary education, and needless to say that's an intense but sacred venture. In my downtime I love to relax by discovering new music, playing any Zelda game, downing one of Chicago's many gourmet burgers, or sharing a good ol' fashioned lawn game with friends. I hope you'll find me to be an inquisitive and thoughtful member of the pipe community. Thanks for welcoming me here, and cheers!

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Hello all, I have been lurking for awhile and decided to join up as I learned that this is a class Act!

I have been a pipe smoker for quite a few years. I am in North Georgia and am glad became a member , thanks for having me

hooboy

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Hello all from Dayton, OH! I've been an off and on pipe smoker since 1983 when I was gifted a Savinelli pipe (long since handed off to a friend of mine who admired it). Pipes were always interesting to me as I love the craftsmanship of a well carved briar. My wife has described me as "tactile" in that touch is very important to me for things I use such as mechanical pencils.
I tend to favor bent pipes and am open to both traditional and freehand styles. Having said that a pipe must feel right to me regardless of the carver's mark. My current personal favorite pipe is a Boswell twist from 1995 that my wife located in a Tinder Box. It was love at first sight (uh, the pipe) and for $35 US a great buy. My best smoker is a Stanwell Church Warden, the Hans Christian Anderson series.
I also favor aro's and am getting introduced right now to four variety's of Boswell's offerings.
Nice to meet you folks!

padgaland

Lurker
Oct 23, 2015
Hello from Concord, NC. I have just recently gotten back into pipe smoking. I bought my first pipe a cheapy churchwarden from a tinderbox in Augusta GA when I was in training in the USAF. I find that in my 30+ years of existence I had an odd fashion sense (compared to the norm) I love pocket watches, vests, pipes, and kilts. I am also a trained chef. My specialties are pretty much anything. If I haven't made it before give me some time to look up the basics and I will make it for you no problem.
I am looking forward to meeting like minded people, and possibly make some new friends.
BTW I have 6 pipes already and a Peterson Shannon 69 as my high end pipe.

dalamar

Lurker
Oct 24, 2015
Greetings.
Been smoking a pipe more consistently recently as I have used it as a way to quit cigarettes. My father smoked a pipe while I was growing up and I found that I also enjoy it. I picked up a few cheap corn cob's from the drug store as well as a Dr Grabow Duke.
I prefer aromatic tobaccos and have a fondness for Stanwell Melange, Mac Baren 7 Seas Black, and my local Tobacconist has a very nice Whiskey Cavendish that I like.
I have lurked around and gotten some good information from this forum and figured I would say Hello and Thanks.

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
Greetings, Ibintroduced myself a few weeks ago with my psedo son in law junkie tale. Oh well, water under the bridge. I did take back my Peterson Silver Capped bent dublin and the gigantic Johs, that even the son in law did not like. I am not sure why I bought that pipe either. I guess everyone has one clunker in their collection. Oh well, onward and upward.

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
Hello yall from the great country of Texas!
Just started in this hobby a little while back and have been enjoying the steep learning curve and detailed information available. I have been lurking for a little while and finally got around to getting signed up. I have found this board to be very informative and kind.
Thanks for the help so far and I look forward to contributing in the future.

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hi guys.
My name is Jeff I am a retired snowbird spending 6 months in Canada & winters in Florida

Today is my 68th birthday so thought that I would not procrastinate joining up here any longer

I have spent many years over @ Brother of the Brier, & Smokers forum as this site was so large & intimidating

Having rather poor eye site I can't spend too much time reading but that's OK as it leaves me more time for piping

Looking forward to some chit chat

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
hello good friends and pipe smokers, I joined a couple of months ago, but I don't think I have introduced myself properly, I am Hector, from the great city of Houston Texas, just started the hobby, I have a pouch of captain black royal, and a mm corncob pipe, love to smoke and read a good book , and a good stiff drink, any one from Houston know any store that sells decent pipe tobacco?

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
hello, I'm a soon-to-be 21 years old turkish-american pipe smoker. I was born in Eskisehir, which I think most of you have heard because of the meerschaum pipes they produce, currently residing in istanbul. I've been smoking for about 6 months, but due to the extreme scarceness of tobacco in turkey, have been smoking "serious" blends for about 3 months. looking forward to have some good chats, hopefully make some friends :puffpipe:

robykeys82

Lurker
Nov 6, 2015
Hello to everyone!

I'm a 33 yo Italian, I began smoking pipe 2 months ago. I started with MacBaren Scottish Mixture and with some Peterson Aromatics bought in Dublin while I was on holiday.

A friend of mine brought me some EM samples I have to try yet!
I read several reviews here and I found this forum very nice and packed with lots of useful information! Soon I'll create a new topic with some advice for my honeymoon purchases in the US :)

jpdarrieux

Lurker
Oct 26, 2015
Hello everyone...
My name's Jean, greek-french and i'm a new one to pipe smoking looking forward to meet new people and learn more about pipes...

Nov 10, 2015
Hey everybody,

My name is Aaron I'm a 20 yr old Minnesotan stay at home dad that has been seriously smoking and collecting pipes for around 3 years. I am getting ready to start carving pipes and blend tobacco. Can't wait to meet people, learn more and talk about pipes and tobacco!

brewsmithy

Lurker
Nov 11, 2015
Hello everyone from Virginia! I am new to this forum, and to pipe smoking in general ( almost a year now ). I found many links to this forum from various tobacco and pipe searches and was drawn in by the "Free Pipe Project". What a wonderful idea. I look forward to learning more about pipes as time goes on, but right now I feel like a fish totally out of water. Tobacco smoking started as a device to hold in my hand (cigs) while working on equipment on cold concrete floors during the winter. The friend of mine I worked with smoked, and would hand me his to hold when he was in a tight spot. I soon realized it made a great hand warmer. . . before too long, I was holding it in my mouth, and the rest is history. Recently I fell into pipe smoking as a 'cheaper than roll your own' method of smoking. . . but oh how much I have truly been missing. My first "real" pipe mix was a standard Borkum Riff Bourbon, and it was like discovering cooking food, vs eating it raw. . . and entirely new world!
Cheers!

clinthulhu

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
Good morning from Ohio! Just wanted to jump in here and introduce myself. I've been a steady pipe smoker for probably 10 years or so now. I've always loved pipes and started collecting them while I was still in high school (and smoking them occasionally as well) In general I'm a lover of tobacco and enjoy pipes, cigars, nasal snuff and much to my own dismay... cigarettes (but not nearly as often these days.) I will also chew from time to time but that is kinda rare for me.
In any event I have been spooking around the forums for a good long time now and finally decided to sign up and join in the fun. I am co-founder of the Scoundrels, North East Ohio Pipe & Cigar Club and we meet monthly at the Havana House in Bath Ohio so if anyone is in that neighborhood I would love to see you at our next meeting. I also run a blog called Pipe Scoundrel where I review pipe tobaccos, cigars, snuff and post pictures of the estate pipes that I clean and restore. Feel free to check it out here if you are so inclined https://pipescoundrel.wordpress.com/
Otherwise I'm pretty much an average guy, I'm a dad to three great kids and married to a wonderful woman who puts up with my crap. I'm also an avid book collector and enjoy pulp writers from the early 20's and 30's such as H.P. Lovecraft and others. I look forward to hanging out with all of you and learning great new things about the hobby.
-Clint

chapu

Lurker
Nov 1, 2015
Hello, everybody! Chapu here. I'm almost 30, from Argentina. I smoked pipe for about a year when I was 18, using an old briar my dad had left. But as I tend to chew on the stem I ended up breaking it. I kept procrastinating on getting a new stem and then I lost the stummel. Fast forward to about two months ago, when a friend invited me to smoke some cigars at a local tobacconist. That reminded me of how much I loved that old pipe and how I missed puffing on it. So after some research I bought a lovely meershaum lined straight billiard Spitfire. Now I'm a merry 3 to 4 bowls-a-day chap.
Waht else could I tell you. As a beginner, I like aromatics (I'm smoking some Planta Danish Black Vanilla right now), but I'm slowly working up the courage to open the tin of Presbyterian Mixture I bought last week :-D I lurked around this and other forums while perusing the net for information, so I decided to join in on the fun here. I'll be probably pestering you all with some questions.
Cheerio!

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
Hi, I'm a 34 yr old from central Illinois who is enjoying a second try at piping. A first ill conceived attempt in 2007 has at least started me with some well aged treats this time around, and lurking here for the past 9 months has taught me enough to have me well invested to this hobby.( lifestyle? madness?)

gunny

Lurker
Nov 15, 2015
I somewhat introduced in my original thread, but I'll do a more formal one:
I'm a retired U.S. Marine and full-time college student now. I'd claim stay-at-home dad and Mr. Mom, but I suck at those so I don't claim them. Which means I have 3 kids, two are very active in sports and keep us pretty busy. The other is very active in her social life and keeps us on our toes. I have a great wife and 3 dogs (two of them I don't claim, I can't stand them although I still treat them like part of the family...an 8 year old Yorkie and a fat chihuahua). The third was my father's day gift and he is purebred bloodhound (almost 8 months old).
What else...I'm a gun nut with a relatively small collection (currently building an AR-10) and waiting to pick up my Sig P226. I like a good blade and dabble with forging iron. I snowboard when I make it up to the mountains and enjoy jumping on my Harley and going for a ride when the opportunity presents itself.
I currently reside in Southern California, not by choice and against my will, hopefully when I finish with school I can find employment in the Texas (DFW or Abilene) or Oklahoma area (OKC or Tulsa). I was born and raised in Kansas and most of family is still in that area as well as my wife's. Life goal is to start a bison ranch, well bison and yak.
That's about it. Oh, I found this forum through a Google search. Actually multiple times. It seemed like everything I searched for it lead back to hear. Seems like a lot of good folks here and I hope to talk with you all more.

Status
Not open for further replies.