PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugaplum480

Lurker
Sep 24, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Hey everybody, my name is Greg. I signed up to the forum about two yeas ago, but have fallen off the earth since then. So I figured I would just reintroduce myself. I started smoking a pipe about two years ago after finding my grandfathers pipe collection. I've tried my share of tobaccos and found my love for English blends. Captain Earls "Nightwatch" has been my favorite so far.

willm

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
Hey folks, I'm Will from Augusta, GA. I've been smoking a pipe for a little over 5 long and enjoyable weeks, and I'm pretty certain that I'm already addicted and obsessed.

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
Hi. New here and back to pipe smoking after a long time. I used to smoke a pipe in the 80's and got away from it in the 90's. Currently I have a couple pipes with another Ascorti bent egg (I know, a Tinder Box only, but I always loved them) on the way. I used to smoke a lot of Latakia blends, but am currently enjoying the burleys. Nicer aroma for those around me while still giving me the nic hit I love and nice flavor. Looking to re-learn what I've forgotten and to learn more as I go. Mostly right now looking for what tin tobaccos match what I am currently into (burleys with a little Virginia or cavendish and no latakia).

glmpdv

Lurker
Jun 28, 2014
Hey Folks,
My name is Guilherme, I'm a brazilian guy studying Engineering in Budapest - Hungary.

My first pipe experience was here, and I really liked it from the very beginning... Looks like I have many things to learn, so you'll often see my questions around.

I'm glad I found this nice and friendly community.

Here's a pic from my first pipes:

jeffthechef19

Lurker
Jul 3, 2014
ThHello everyone!mI'm Jeff I'm 23 and live in Iowa where you all get your corn syrup from yay! Anyways about a week ago we had really rainy weather and I remembered that a good friend of mine had given me a pipe he told me to try it because I am addicted to cigs. And so I went to Walgreens and got some captain black white pouch which to you guys and gals I'm sure is a cheap tobacco but its actually really good. The near by college town had a b&m(tobacconist) but they recently closed so CBW was my only choice.I googled how to smoke a bowl correctly after failing to enjoy the first one and it led me straight to this site and it was a tremendous help...needless to say screw cigarettes! I mat be the only 23 year old in Iowa that smokes a pipe but they don't know what they are missing! I was also wondering if someone on here could tell me of a tobacco similar to captain black white that is online and tastes better/higher quality. Thanks so much !!!!!

munday

Lurker
Jul 4, 2014
I'm Mike Munday - new member - A huge fan of Latakia - my favorite is Lancer Slices - wanted to see if any of you had any suggestions for blends you have experienced that are heavy with Latakia. I have tried PS Balkan Supreme - Blue Mountain & several others. Have any of you worked at creating your own blend with Latakia? Just purchased 21 ozs of Sutliff Sweet Virgina and experimenting with blending with latakia. Are you a Lancer Slices fan - it was backordered at P&C and Mars couple of months ago - have loaded up with LS since then - really a killer smoke. Read my first post - thought I should add a little personal info - hitting on 67 - semi-retired -

not a fan of retirement - always looking for stuff to do - have been in the Media for over 50+ years - was #1 on Radio in the late 60's & 70's Morning Drive & Afternoon

Drive - have been in Advertising & Marketing for 40+ years - own Mike Munday Advertising - started smoking cigars and pipe in Vietnam 1969 - stopped and started back

up several times - have been a light cigar & pipe - mainly pipe since 2011. Really enjoy my pipe - make it a great 2014!

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Good evening Gents (and Ladies). I am sitting down for the night on my back deck just having finished a bowl of Trout Stream and I thought it best for me to say hello. I have enjoyed your forum for a little while now so it best to join in on the fun. Cheers.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Hullo There,
Recently got back to into pipe smoking after a 4 yr hiatus of going back to school and living at home. Started when I was 18 and have loved it from the beginning. Love a good english, but I hate flakes...at the moment anyways

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Hello recently quit smoking and decided I need something to do when sitting outside and I bought a Dr Grabow and a bag of tobacco from CVS. I have really enjoyed it and found this site so figured I would join. I have also been smoking cigars for about 10 years as well so I am no strange to a good tobacco flavour however pipe Tabaco is remarkable different. I am a native Texan who currently resides in south Texas. The smoking reference in my name refers to Cigar and pipe smoking as well as good backyard BBQ cooking and smoking.

mattlocascio

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Howdy!
My name is Matt Locascio, I live in Helotes, Texas,and I'm 20 years old. I'm soon to be entering my Junior year at Texas A&M University, College Station. I'm in the Texas Aggie Corps of Cadets and Fightin' Texas Aggie Band (Class of 2016 Whoop!). I enjoy music, learning about my faith, learning about fitness and health, among other things. I'm majoring in Industrial Engineering and hope to land a career in manufacturing.
I'm the type to smoke when I have a reason to celebrate or when a bunch of my buddies are wanting to get together. I was first introduced to smoking by my brother, when he started smoking every now and again. From there, having the background I do the fine arts and in being creative, I've taken up pipe making as well. I made my first one last summer, and have made about 13 or so this summer. I would have made more by now, but given I'm in college, I have to have a way to pay for materials and I don't really have that at the moment. Plus, getting everything started in my store online has taken a lot more effort than I thought! But it's been a great experience so far, I hope to continue this new hobby well into my future. A couple weeks ago, when I was at the Helotes Marketplace trying to sell my creations, a guy came up to me and offered his grandfather's collection of pipes to me for FREE after seeing some of my work. There were 36 different pipes, mostly Dr. Grabow and Kaywoodie pipes, that were in the set. Anyway, I've now picked up pipe refurbishing and I fell this is a great place to learn more about pipes and pipe smoking in general. I'm looking forward to hearing from others who take part in this great pastime. Thanks for your time!
P.S. If you're interested, check out some of my work here:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LocascioPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect

https://www.facebook.com/LocascioPipes?ref_type=bookmark

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Hey Everyone,
I'm Pat. I'm from Buffalo, NY. I have been smoking cigars for about five years now and looking to add pipe smoking to the list as well. My cigar smoking becomes somewhat limited in the winter time when we have frigid temps and 3 feet of snow, so it was recommended that I look into enjoying a pipe as an alternative. I am a complete noob to pipes but have gathered enough info over the past couple of days online that I ordered a pipe and few different blends to try. They should be arriving in the next couple of days. I hope this hobby turns out to be as fun as it looks!

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!
I have been reading the forums on a daily basis as a guest for a long time and finally decided to join! I am also a fan of the Pipesmagazine Radio Show. I hope to get to know some of you and hopefully provide some helpful info to other members.
All the best!
Olivier

cyclebrew

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Hello all!
My name is Ryan and I am a new pipe smoker in Yakima WA.
I currently smoke a very used inherited Dr. Grabow and a new Missouri Meerschaum diplomat cob pipe. I recently purchased a couple of Falcon pipes and am interested in a new Brebia I spotted online.
I am looking for a tobacco to thoroughly enjoy, and have had one bad and a few more minor tongue bites...but have enjoyed it enough to keep chugging along. Last night I had a great experience with a blend from Lil' Brown smoke shop, and I think it had Latakia in it.
I have smoked cigars for a few years and am looking for that rich experience, but with the flexibility of a pipe so I can attend to the kids (seems they gravitate to me as soon as I light up!) I've been trying some aromatics, a Virginia, and have some frog Morton yet to be opened.
My wife and kids keep joking that I am am old man now with the pipe (I'm 32), but I don't mind.
I look forward to participating in this community and any any recommendations you all have.
Cheers!
Edit: forgot to mention I have been loving the pipes magazine podcast! Lots of great info.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Hey guys!
I'm Patrick from New Jersey. I've been smoking cigars for 5 years or so and have been smoking a pipe off and on for three years. In the last several months I've been bitten pretty hard by a new found fondness for pipe smoking.
I really enjoy Peterson Pipes, there is just something about them that I like. They might not be the fanciest or the most original but they work well for me.
My current favorite tobacco is Hearth and Home Burley Kake.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Hi all,
I started smoking a pipe about 1.5 year ago, but didn't do it very often. More recently I've decided to take it more seriously. So now I'm re-reading about it, re-cleaning my pipes and recently bought about 40 samples of different types of tobacco, to try more systematically to determine what my tastes are.
I've only got 2 pipes so far: the first one I bought, which I don't really like (mouthpiece too bulky for my mouth, and overall too heavy), and an estate one I bought at an antiques shop, which is currently my go-to pipe. I am planning on buying one or two new ones, on forthcoming trips to Berlin and London.
I haven't started on those samplers I mentioned, and so far I've only tasted 3 different tobaccos: Sail Natural (recommended by the shop I initially went to, as a starter smoke), Orlik's Golden sliced (red), and Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe (which I really like).
I always come to this forum for information and good reads, so thank you all :)

slickbrabec

Lurker
May 9, 2014
Virginia
Hey there hi there ho there. I'm Charles, been getting in the groove of smoking pipes and whatnot. Aromatics are pretty dope, and Canadians are the my favorite looking pipes. Other than that, totally clueless. My doc (Sailorjeremy) got me into pipes some time ago, still learning.

im2for1

Lurker
Jul 20, 2014
Hello!

I'm Liz.

Some of you may know me as the owner of Ladies of the Briar yahoo Page and also Vice President of the New Jersey Fellowship of Pipe Smokers.

Hope to have some fun here.

Status
Not open for further replies.