PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Hello, my name is Doug. I am from Ruidoso, New Mexico and am 40?? something. I really don't remember. You know how it gets when you have kids, a job, a wife, chores, etc. Just trying to remember what Tobacco/Cigar is hard enough. I forgot the last cigar I smoked. Actually, I do remember. It was a Cuban Cohiba in Jamaica. Ya, Mon. Just got back a few weeks ago. Love the beach and people there. I regress.
I have not smoked a pipe in a while. I smoked for a while in the 30 somethings, then I had kids and chewed/dipped tobacco to hide it from them. Kids got bigger and I have been smoking cigars lately. Thought I would give the pipe a try again.
I have a cob on order and a few others I will try. I generally have smoked the OTC stuff but I am excited to try some of the better tobacco.
Thanks for all of the great knowledge here and hopefully, I will be able to keep up with you guys!!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hi,
My name is Mike Smith and I will be posting with the ID "4nogginsmike" to call attention to that concern. Although I may be making business announcements in the commercial section, in the forums I will be posting with very similar content as compared to what anyone else would post.
I have been a pipe smoker for 12 years and a member of the Knox/Brothers of Briar forum since 2002. I favor the high nicotine and dark Virginia blends such as Cumberland and only smoke straight pipes. Artisan pipes are very attractive to the eye but $50 finds from ebay are a lot more attractive to the wallet.
I look forward to meeting all of you in this little corner of online heaven.
Best, Mike

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Hi all, I have been looking at this forum for quite some time and it is time for me to join. My name is John an I live just outside of Knoxville, TN. Been a pipe smoker for years so it is good to be here.

clocksmith

Lurker
Aug 21, 2013
Hi all,
My name is Brian Pizor and I am from Northeast Ohio. I am a clocksmith and have recently worked my way back into pipe smoking. The Pipes Magazine Radio Show has been a great source of education and entertainment for me when I am out on the road making house calls. I seem to be partial to English blends but am open to any category that doesn't bite and pleases my palate.
Great to be here with all of you.
-Brian

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Greetings to all. Just joined this evening and wanted to introduce myself briefly. Took up a pipe about two weeks ago after being reminded of pipe smoking by finding the Brown Leaf section of the Badger & Blade shaving forum. Had smoked one briefly about forty years ago, and decided I would try out my Dad's old Kaywoodie. Tasted good! So I am at it again; perhaps it will help me cut back on cigarettes. Looking forward to learning a lot from the members here; I will have many questions to ask!

lax02

Lurker
Aug 23, 2013
I just wanted to drop a line and say hello to everyone. I am new to the forum and new to pipe smoking (had my first bowl this afternoon). I am looking forward to learning a lot about this art and carrying on the tradition that my Grandfather started in our family.

watro

Lurker
Aug 21, 2013
Hi all,
I'm new to the site, so, as a brief introduction I just started pipe smoking. I got introduced to it by a friend on a guys weekend and I instantly loved it.
I just bought my first pipe and tobacco and am happily puffing away.
I found the site looking for information on the web and so far loving everything about it!

driver

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Hello!
I've been lurking for a few months now and finally decided to register and get in on the discussions. I am new to pipe smoking but have been an avid cigar smoker for years. I was very fortunate to find this site before I even lit my first pipe! The knowledge here allowed to have a wonderful experience right off the bat. I would have had no idea what I was doing otherwise! My first bowl was at the end of June and I haven't looked back since. I truly have fallen in love with this hobby and I'm looking forward to enjoying it for years to come!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Hello everyone; I joined a few days ago. I have been a pipe smoker since my dad died 12 years ago. Mum gave me his old leather tobacco pouch, so I thought I'd find out what it was all about. Dad used to smoke "Ogden's Walnut Flake" in a Falcon pipe; I do neither!
Having smoked many different tobaccos over the years I've begun to home in on SG and G+H Plugs and ropes. They are stronger and do take a bit more preparation, but that is part of their pleasure. The analogy with plug/rope vs ready rubbed, or even some flakes would be - do you prefer freshly-ground vs instant coffee? No contest in my book! With the ropes there is the additional pleasure of knowing that this tobacco form has been around for centuries - I can just picture the old sailors cutting off a bit of rope and rubbing it into their pipe, or chewing it! (something I never intend to risk!)
I started off with a worthy Peterson and now have a few high-grade Petersons, which I love. More recently I have been collecting old English pipes - Charatans, Comoys, Loewes, Dunhills and yes, even Upshalls. You would have to break my wrist to prize any of these from me. Then, only last week I bought a new pipe - a Morta, crafted by Tim Askwith, master pipe maker. 10,000 year-old bogwood! A new experience for me, "Falling in love again....never thought I would........" That's a song, isn't it?
Anyway, It's great to be part of the gang, and I've managed to add a few minor posts in the "Astley" thread started by pitchfork.

thehp

Lurker
Aug 24, 2013
Hello All = HP ( Hillbilly Philosopher ) here.
Smoked pipes years back , then kinda walked away - sold off a huge collection of pipes on ebay ..now it is 18 years later ... woke up 2 weeks ago and first thought of the day was " I need a pipe". 2 weeks later and I am back in it full swing - already picked up 6 pipes , and burning trough tin after tin of good old long lost friends...
I prefer flake tobacco, like meers but have only bought one so far this time around. Brand name is nice, but I go by feel and heft. Have a Savaneli poker ( 308 I think ) that I loved on sight that goes wherever I go already ..
Wife . 3 sons. Homebrewer. Winemaker. Construction manager. Hog cooking savant. Part time philosopher. Generally just looking to enjoy whatever years I get and try to die without ever crossing anyone in a negative way.

bigbellypapy

Lurker
Aug 24, 2013
Hello all bigbellypapy here. I started smoking pipe in 1992 gave it up after about a year. Recently ran across my old pipe a couple of months ago. Picked it up and been smoking every since! Really not sure wy I quite enjoy it very much. Divorced twice have a girlfriend four grown kids and four grandchildren. Love a good mix drink and or a good bottle of wine.work twelve hour shifts three on three off. Hoist operator .

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Good day all. I am new to pipe smoking and so happy to have come across this site. Thank you members for all of your insight. My TAD and PAD is off to a wonderful start.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Been lurking for about a week, just got my first cob in the mail.

Glad to join the ranks of former cigarette slave. Now to get the "War Dept" to let me increase the pipe and tobacco collection... All in due time.

grant

Lurker
Aug 30, 2013
Hello everyone,

I've been a pipe smoker for 20 years, and I guess I'm a bit of an American traditionalist-over the years I've settled in with cobs and OTC burleys (Carter Hall being my fave) for the most part, same as my grandfather and great-grandfather. But I do very much enjoy Nightcap on a quiet evening, and I do keep a couple of aromatics on hand for an occasional change of pace. I'm always willing to try something new.

I decided to sign up because I noticed that anytime I would Google anything pipe-related I would invariably end up here, and I have made purchases and taken alot of advice based on what I have read here, so maybe I can pass on my experience, limited as it may be.

bb88

Lurker
Aug 30, 2013
Hello Pipers,
I have smoked pipe for about 30 yrs, Love straight Va's and English type Tobbacos. I love Old Kaywoodies and just got a Dinwoodie.. I love making Cheese, sour dough bread, Planting flowers (I have a greenhouse business for 26 yrs) been married for 36 yrs. You all do a great job on the forum. bb88

pipepirate

Lurker
Aug 26, 2013
Hi ,I have just joined,an old quarter horse breeder, retired,I now just sit between the ocean and the bay at the end of a 27 mile peninsula,smoking my pipes and watching the storms blow by. I collect English hand made pipes. Looking forward to talking to everyone.

robski

Lurker
Aug 30, 2013
Hi Folks,
Looks like a lively place, so thought I'd join in.
Been smoking pipes for the best part of thirty years. Couldn't tell you how many pipes I currently own , other than to say it's quite a few. They're mostly English and mostly traditional shapes.
As for the weed, I stick to the heavy stuff, 1792, Irish Flake, Black Bogie , Revor Plug - you get the picture !

kid20acmc

Lurker
Aug 30, 2013
Hello guys greetings from the sea!

it's me kid im new here and also to this kind of thing. Heck i don't even join forums but for this new hobby i think i would give it a shot. i don't know if im doing it right or posting it in the right place. I hope you guys would understand. i have been smoking for 4-6mos. now and ah... im a heavy cigarette smoker i still smoke a pack a day even after i learned how to smoke a pipe. My wife really hates smoking but she prefers tobacco more than cigarettes so its a good thing eh, i just recently bought 6 new pipes around 30usd at new york. well.. i don.t know if its good or not and... so that's it. i hope to learn more from you guys by the way im a sailor and im from Philippines. More power!

pipepuffer

Lurker
Sep 1, 2013
Hi everyone!
My name is Bob I am 55 years old and live in the San Francisco BAy area. I been smoking pipes since 1988 off and on. Been a visitor to this site fora while and decided to join.
I love learning and reading other people's experiences . I have built up a modest collection over the years and its good to get back into pipe smoking and leaving the cigs behind!
Best
Bob

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Hello all. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 33, live in LA, I'm a musician and love my family, music, Harleys, my '67 Mustang, piercings and tattoos, and oh yeah PIPES!! My grandfather's lovely smell,from being an avid pipe-smoker, inspired me as child to "want to try that someday." Now here I am, a rare continuation of a dying breed. It has become one of my distinguishing passions; and one I'm particularly proud of since I feel I've somehow had this bred into my very being, from my grandfather on back. I'm also proud to have a few of his pipes (who is about to turn 90 btw) in my collection. Anyway I could go on but since this is just supposed to be an introduction I will cut my long-winded self off. Feel free to message me or what ever, I will talk about pretty much anything. Hello again!
-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.