Birmingham, AL
There is definitely a strong family resemblance. :D
xpipe1.png
xpipe.png

Welcome to all the new members!

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
My name is Hans and i have been on and off with pipes since around 2001-2002.

Currently i am on more so than ever. I'm an old soul at 35 going on 75.

I live in Portland Oregon and love to read about pipes, history and tobacco blending.
Well that's the short of it. Look forward to reading a lot more on this site!

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
Hello!I came upon this site while surfing some of greg peases' articles. Liked some of the forums and decided to join. I'm coming up on my 53rd pipe smoking anniversary. I really like pipes and all they have to offer. The truth is, I have pad,pmd, and tad to a degree rarely seen. it's too late for me to change,so I relax,light up and place another order, or make another pipe. Almost keeps me out of trouble. Pipe smoking is growing fast. I like this due to the science, art, techniques and magic that will be passed to the younger ones; Whom, I hope will improve this brotherhood. I'm honored to be here. Thanks.

briarfan63

Lurker
Dec 5, 2012
Hello everyone. Typed in "pipes magazine" because of my favorite publication and came across this site. What a great find. To tell you about myself, I bought my first pipe on my 16'th birthday and have enjoyed it off and on for the last 34 years. I have slowly gone from corncob to meerschaum to briars, but never giving up my faithful corncobs. My favorite briars are Peterson and Savinelli with Peterson at the top of my list. I have never purchased drug store tobaccos. Unsure what they are like. I have been smoking a special blend from my favorite tobacconist in Syracuse, NY. Some day I hope to find a close comparison to it in tinned tobacco. If anyone here is from the central New York area, I would appreciate hearing from you. Maybe there are hidden tobacconists out there that can help me find my next favorite blend. Thank you.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Briarfan welcome to pipesmagazine.com's forums.
Can you tell us a little bit about this blend you smoke? We maybe able to help you find a tinned version very similar. I'm from NY as well but down closer to Poughkeepsie.

briarfan63

Lurker
Dec 5, 2012
Hey Fitzy,

Thank you for the reply. I frequent the Newburgh-Beacon areas frequently. Let me know what you need and I will get it to you soon.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Hi,

I'm Tim age 61. I live in North Idaho (don't worry we drove out most of the white supremacists a few years back).

I have been smoking a pipe for about 40 years. I discovered this site a couple of weeks ago and am looking forward to learning more about how to enjoy this hobby. Learning never ends...

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Hey fellas. I started smoking when I was 16 (cigarettes). I enjoyed them alot smoking mostly Pall Malls, Lucky Strikes or Camels. They were only 40 cents a pack then. As you can tell I like to taste strong tobacco and not have it filtered. I quit because they weren't treating my lungs well at 22. I dabled with dime store pipes and cigars in my 20's then went to skoal and quit that too. I then started with premium cigars and went through that for awhile before taking the plunge in the fine pipes and tobacco arena. I started with light aromatics but grew tired of smoking "air" and moved on and found English blends. The more diverse and full flavored the blend the better I like it. I like bold coffees and bold tobacco. I have alot of Petersons some are excellent and some just so-so. I have some Savanelli's and other lessers brands. I think I have over a dozen. I'm 50 and drawn to anything that is not PC and is conected with maximum freedom. I hate tobacco nazis or any nazi that doesn't want me to enjoy my life as I see fit. I say we vote them off the island!!! Anyway I've done alot of research to find the best tobacco for my tastes. I have gotten some McClelland stuff which I have had to put in jars and age it because it really needs it bad. I just tried some Dan BBBB and am getting ready to try some Pease tobaccos. I hope to increase my knowledge base and look forward to the journey.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard MustangGT.

I think more than a few of us are of like mind and have had a similar journey through life.

Dive right in and make yourself at home.
And, to all the New Members of late.

We're glad to have you as Members as well.

Don't be shy, post up your questions, comments, and especially those pictures of your pipes.

:puffy:

pathfinder

Lurker
Dec 7, 2012
FOB Shank, Afghanistan
Hello all!
Name's Josh Gordon, I've been pipe smoking since my great grandfather gave me his handmade Meerschaum pipe on my 18th birthday. My favorite pipe tobacco would have to be Captain Black Royal, honestly due to the simple fact that it stays fresh the longest during deployments. As you may have gathered from that prior sentence, I am serving. I'm an 11B (Infantry) and have been for 7 years now. I'm currently on my 3rd deployment (1st to Afghanistan, 2 to Iraq) and I'm still smoking pipe. My "Old Cheep'o" Pipe has been with me since my first tour, its even got 100mph tape on hit, thanks in part to the "Three step drop" out the side of a Blackhawk which broke the month piece in my assault pack Haha. No bigs, I think it's become my favorite (All though ugly now) amid all my other pipes. I have a question if you will, rather more of a request, does anyone know of a business that sends pipe/pipe tobacco care packages? The other Squad Leader in my Platoon has a buddy that does "Cigars for Warriors", but I know of no one that does it for pipes?
There's about 10 of us in my company that smoke pipe and we're trying to see if there's a company that sends the stuff out. We're 90% Infantry in our company (10% to HQ etc) and we're attached organically to an Aviation Battalion. We're Fox Company (Pathfinders), 5th Battalion, 101st Combat Aviation Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) out of Fort Campbell KY. If any of you know of a company and could spare a moment, shoot me a PM and I'll send them the info. I'll also throw our address below if you (maybe the owner of said company) could orchestrate it. Thank you all, and I look forward to talking to you all!
Very Respectfully,

Josh Gordon
Address:

SSG Gordon, Joshua

Pathfinders, TF Eagle Assault (5-101)

FOB Shank

APO AE 09364

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
I have been a member since last February, but have just returned for the first time to this forum since last Mayish. Thought I would check back in as a newbie.
Hello all and thanks for having such a great site.

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
Hello Oldpops41 here im from Cleveland TN. getting back into my pipe smoking. Would like suggestions on anythinr pipe smoking and if anyone knows where i can find or get some Grandads.

bronxbill

Lurker
Dec 10, 2012
Hi, I'm living in Raleigh NC; been here since 1981. Smoked my first pipe working at a summer camp while in HS. Put the pipe down for a couple of years; picked it up again while serving with the Marines in Viet Nam in 1967. Thought it made me look older and more distinguished :). Been smoking a pipe ever since

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hello. I guess I'd describe myself as a reformed non-smoker. I've long enjoyed the scent of pipe tobacco, though I can't stand cigarette smoke (and I'm still a little dubious about cigars...). A friend of mine recently picked up a pipe, and it was rather nice sitting out on the back porch of a cabin, with the scent of pipe tobacco in the air as we read and did some writing.
I spent some time online poking around, found a local B&M that was extremely helpful (Prince Phillip's, in Denver), discovered this forum and read the entire Beginner's section, and last Sunday, successfully lit my first bowlful and smoked it, thanks to a number of tips that I found here. My first pipe is a Bjarne Viking Classic - if I'm reading the shape charts correctly, it's a full bent apple sitter that actually sits properly when empty. The folks at the local B&M also steered me toward a lovely blend of Virgina Golden and Black Cavendish that they call "Victorian Standard" - has a great chocolate note, with smoky undertones.
Oddly enough, I'm the one insisting on doing all of my smoking outside (one whole bowl, so far...) rather than in the house - my wife insists that it's no different to her than burning incense. I think she's a keeper. :D I'm also thinking of getting a "smoking jacket", since it's just gone bloody cold again here in Denver - probably an M65 Field Jacket, since they're nice and toasty and have lots of pockets for pipes, tobacco, and accessories. :puffpipe:

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
gday Brians he name , I am a new pipe smoker about 2 months and love it. quit smokes soon after trying the pipe as there was really no way I felt like a smoke after tasting the pipe ... and the couple pipes I have a day are way more relaxing than the smokes ever were. Only problem is the lack of fellow pipe smokers n NZ along with pipes and tobacco and I am pretty sure we have the highest price of tobacco in the world ... a tin of petersons for example costing $80 for 50g.

sofar I have a couple briar pipes made by Jan zeman ... go check him out he is amazing ... and looking for a good meerschaum

tobacco wise I have not really tried that much as its so hard to get here but lookimg forward to working my way through a few till I find the ones I like , sofar a 8 year old hines mixture is tops for me ... anyway just thought I would say hi and that I am loving the site

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've been posting for a bit but hadn't gotten around to this thread yet. I'm a sophomore in a Michigan college and I'm from northern Illinois. I got into pipesmoking due to the influence of my roommate. The college I'm at is somewhat unique in that at least 1/4 of male students, and even more prophessors, smoke, and most of them pipes and cigars. Anyway, I've quickly slid off the deep end, aquiring 11 pipes in a year, 9 of which I still have. Enjoying the hobby and this community!

cleidophoros

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2012
Hi

A relatively new pipe smoker here. I have been smoking first cigarettes then RYO for almost 20 years now and last christmas wife got me a pipe as present (granted I have been talking and researching about pipes for a while at the time).

So after almost a year now I got 10 briars, 3 clays and a few kgs of tobacco. Not a bad start I suppose.

So yeah, g'day!

seaninkitale

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
I am an occasional pipe and cigar smoker. My situation really doesn't allow for anything more. I work for an organization in Kenya that takes care of abandoned and orphaned children. I would like to gain a deeper understanding of pipes and maybe what kind of briars I own. I am going to try and get pics of my pipes up soon so maybe one of you more experienced guys might be able to help me out. All I know is that they are made in Italy.

vemmen

Lurker
Dec 12, 2012
Denmark
Hello, all! I joined here just yesterday, after a couple of weeks of lurking around. A little about me; My name is Simon and I've been smoking pipe on and off for about a year. I'm quite young and I reside in a small town in Denmark. I love reading Tolkien's works (explains the avatar) and spy-novels while sippin' on a good pipe. Haven't got much knowledge about pipe-smoking, but I'm improving and expanding knowledge slooooowly. Cheers! :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Welcome aboard everyone. For those of you that haven't heard it yet there is an internet radio show that comes out on this site every week on Thursday evenings(I can't wait for tonight's show). Fantastic stuff. Be sure to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.