PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

paddymac

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
Hi all. Back in February, due to my becoming a new father, a buddy of mine gave me one of his briars (I've no idea who made it) and a unlabeled jar of tobacco that he "thinks" is cavendish. The rest is unfolding history.

physiognomy

Lurker
Aug 15, 2012
USA
Hi,
I just joined up & wanted to post a quick introduction... My name is Peter & I started my interest in pipes back in 2007. I first found relaxation & camaraderie in the cigar hobby, so the transition to pipes was natural. Dad smoked a pipe up until I was born & that connection drew me to buying my first briar & a couple ounces of bulk tobacco (including Altadis Prime Minister). My cigar friends soon shared their favorite pipe tobacco blends and my slide down the slope had begun.
I started out enjoying English/Balkan blends, but have gained a great appreciation for VAs & VAPERs (especially with some age) as time has gone on. My taste in pipes has also grown from the cheap estates to handmade pieces of art. I look forward to reading, learning, & participating here. Thanks for having me!
Peter

mikey

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
Hello all! Mikey here and enjoying this new forum which I found looking for like minded smokers. As a new piper I am really glad I found this place. I am a new pipe smoker and love it. I am looking forward to meeting and sharing ideas. I have a few pipes I am currently restoring and any help would be great. I have not seen a thread a pipe restoration, but I have not been here long enough to see and read everything.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Hi! I'm Trever Talbert, a pipemaker of some sort. I've technically been a member here for a couple of years but I didn't stop in during the early days when the site had some teething problems with display on Macs, but it certainly looks nice now. Well done, guys! I'll try and pop in and out as time permits. As for introductions, hmm. I've been making pipes fulltime for 15 years now, lived and worked both in the states and in France, wrote a popular and long-running blog about expat life in France, I write and still maintain a 7-years-running blog about pipes and pipemaking, and I also write a pretty silly movie review blog dedicated to my favorite (and not-so-favorite) horror and drive-in movies. And in my spare time, I write and draw my own web comic. Avid reader, lover of obscure movies, and general weirdo. I can't tell you who won American Idol but I can quote Mighty Boosh, and I'm more likely to be watching Vincent Price than Megan Fox on the telly. That's about all there is to say.

zirbengeist

Lurker
Aug 22, 2012
Hello Everyone
I hail from London Ontario. I started smoking pipes around 2 years ago when my uncle gave me a brigham pipe. I am still new to the hobby but I have been focusing on trying various Latakia blends. So far my favorite has been Samuel Gawith Skiff mixture. I wish I could find Dunhill in Canada as I would like to try nightcap.

friday

Might Stick Around
Aug 23, 2012
hello,
I have been smoking cigars "socially" for the past 10 years and decided to switch to pipes back in march. My main reason for switching was i like a lot of variety, but that can be expensive with cigars, and buying an average 8.00 stick and only smoking 4.00 worth was getting old. I researched pipe tobacco and it seemed what i should have been doing all along! I live in Plant City, FL so i went to Edward's pipe shop in tampa and bought an Edward's brand pipe. One good thing about Edward's is you can sit there and try a bowl of any and all of there bulk blends for free, anytime! Thats great for a new pipe smoker! At first, things were tough and kind of slow going. Aro's smelled great for people around me, but didn't really have much flavor. I tried Edward's aro's, captain black, tobacco depot black and gold, and paladin black cherry (which wasn't half bad, i think i like this one). Upon sampling most of what Edward's had to offer i really like there bishop burley which is a Va/Bur/Or mix. Not sure if what i taste or smell is correct but i love smoking this blend, my mustache smells like chocolate or sweet after i smoke this. I had also got 2 corn cob pipes, but dont really like cobs. So couple weeks ago, knowing i needed another pipe and some more different tobacco, I decided to proceed down a VaPer line IN a new pipe. So i ordered a Savinelli Trevi 607 billiard, Escudo navy deluxe, dunhill flake (yes i know its not a VaPer), and mcconell scottish cake from Pipes and Cigars. WoW what a difference this pipe is over the edwards! I love this pipe, it will be my Va/VaPer pipe! Im trying to smoke these new tobaccos almost one tin at a time. I started with the escudo and am loving it!
So anyway, thats how my last few months have gone! I love reading all i can on here and hope to be a productive member soon. Also i have what i call my relaxation room and my wife lets me smoke in there, which is great cause here lately in florida if it isnt 100 degrees its storming. or is that how florida always is? lol However I am never allowed to smoke captain black white in there again. my wife hates it! which is ok, cause as i dive deeper into non Aro's the worse Aro's become!
-TC

Aug 24, 2012
Hello all! My name is Jake - "The Backdoor Hippie" is an internet pseudonym and also the name under which I infrequently execute musical performances in public. I have been an occasional pipe smoker for the last 15 years after diving head first into the hobby in the early 90's. I befriended Mark Tinsky of The American Smoking Pipe Company and was fortunate enough to be tutored from time to time in his shop where I carved a number of my own pipes and even spent a day at the wire wheel helping apply "rustic" finishes to one of his Christmas Pipes. While I still enjoy a pipe on occasion I find myself (gasp) more likely to sit with a cigar instead - particularly in the warmer months when I find myself out on the golf course or just on the patio.
I sold off a good number of my pipes back in the late 90's, leaving me with a Tinsky Christmas pipe and custom bent horn, an old Comoy's (my first), a Bonacquisti Church Warden, and several of my own, which seem to be more than sufficient. I've also unearthed a stash of old tins in my cellar from the mid-to-late 90's that I am sure have aged quite nicely. Anyway, with my foray back into pipe smoking, I thought I'd just drop in and introduce myself.

callahan

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
Hi folks! Patrick here... I've visited these forums off and on for some needed advice and decided to go ahead and register today. I've been smoking a pipe for a couple of years now, finding it a great way to step back and sort thru everything going on in the old noggin. I've got a small mixed collection so far: a handful of Petes including two I managed to purchase during a recent family vacation to Ireland, a couple of Randy Wileys, a Mark Balkovec, the Briar Bird TPC 2012 POY, and some others.
I'm always looking for good advice and believe I'll find a good deal of it here.

all the best to all of you!

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
Hi everybody,
Started pipe smoking a bit over a month ago. It helped me quit cigarettes (and more!!). Much cheaper than cigars (at least here in Canada) and a much bigger spectrum in terms of flavors. I'm also a homebrewer (mmm! beer).
This site is great! I mean, where in the world would a hardcore heavy metal 20-something dude would hang with a 70-something grandpa. Brothers (and sisters, sorry Cindy) of the Leaf, all with respect for each other.

Also like the humor!

Keep puffin' :puffy:

edgar

Lurker
Aug 25, 2012
Gentlemen (and Ladies? perhaps?)
Discovered the site yesterday just browsing around, and had to join. I've been smoking a pipe off and on since I was 18. Growing up, both of my Grandfather's smoked pipes. One of them died when I was very young, but my Grandpaw Ray lived until I was a grown man. As far back as I can remember, my favorite thing to do was sit by him while he smoke his Cherry blend. I loved the smell, the ritual, and the accessories. For Christmas I always bought him a pack of Cherry blend tobacco. I may have been buying terrible tobacco, but he never told me otherwise. As soon as I was old enough, I bought a second hand pipe and a bag of Cherry. Coffee and my pipe became my new ritual, and on Friday nights, at the coffee house, the girls always showed me extra attention because I had an "old man pipe"...they thought it was charming. That alone was reason enough for me to keep at it!
For the past several years I have really become a more serious pipe smoker, but I never strayed off too far into the realm of the aficionado. I knew what tobaccos I liked to smoke, on a daily basis at least, like Prince Albert, or the occasional aromatic, but I never remembered what they were called.
Now, 35, I want to be more of an aficionado, knowing more about the blends that I smoke, and why I like them. Currently I have a lot of an English tobacco that I am loving, but couldn't for the life of me buy it again if I ran out.
I have 7 pipes in my collection, two which belonged to my Pawpaw (the one who died when I was young). One is his Falcon, which is one of my favorites to smoke from. Recently I came across a 60's era Dr. Grabow #20 Starfire, and enjoy it as well.
I hope to make some good buddies here, who don't mind helping me learn and grow and become a mature piper.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:worship: Welcome aboard to all the New Members!
We love to answer questions from the newest Members, they often kick-up lively discussions.

Don't for a minute think that your questions aren't "good," or are "dumb," or "silly".

We old codgers and many with a lot of experience may not think about some of those pressing concerns of the new pipe smoker. Or, like me, when I first joined had been smoking for 30 years and really didn't know (to quote granny from the Outlaw Jose Wales) "doodley squat". :D

Nobody will go :laughat: , or :nana: when you ask. That's not what we're about.

Some of the answers/opinions your questions will elicit might surprise you, and quite often won't agree.

Because; opinions are like belly buttons... Some are innies. Some are outies, but we all have one. :D

:laughat: (Most of us codgers have innies.)
Don't be shy, just dive right in and post up those photos and ask those questions.

:puffy:

twistie

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
G'day everyone,
My name is Jyri and I'm from Sydney, Australia. Been a lurker here for a while and thought I'd join and say hi. Been smoking pipes for a little over a year now and I'm working my way through the many, many fine pipe blends available over the interwebs. By the looks of things I won't live long enough to get through them all :(
In the meantime I hope to acquire more knowledge in the art and peaceful past time of pipe smoking.
Cheers,

Jyri

bigbehr

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Hello,
Im new here but not new to pipes. My Name is Ryan and am from Calhan, CO. LOng time lurker. Just wanted to finally say HI. Mainly into English Blends but open to just about anything.

akpipe

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2012
Hey all, glad to sign up with this forum.

Mostly an observer and information seeker. Will chime in from time to time when I feel I have enough personal experience for a pipe related topic, but I'm good for a good 'ol banter or two on other things.
Thanks to the guys that have already given me a warm welcome; much appreciated.

xolotalmungin

Lurker
Aug 30, 2012
Oakland
Hello all. Just signed up.. another site to navigate. Sorry if this ends up in the wrong place.

Anyway, pipe and cigar smoker for.. hmm.. probably 10 plus years. Not fanatic. Inherited the pipes, but tend to smoke a chunky Moore Mark, which I believe is a Custombilt knockoff. Primarily smoke flake or plug tobacco outdoors.

As time and money permit, I may start digging around the various blends and using the net for that rather than having to go out of my way to a tobacconist which has a limited selection anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.