PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Welcome guys!

I think I saw Fnord, watt fly, Oakbear, Mark, Tim, Merlin, Swampy (love the nickname !), Randy, Scott and Justin. If I missed ya, my apologies !
@Tim: north Dallas

wattfly

Lurker
Dec 28, 2011
O.K. My first post as a new member left something to be desired. Here goes again:
Hi, my name is Mark and I live in Mentor, Ohio. I am married to the same great lady since 1977 (yes, you must do the math). We have four adult children and 2 granddaughters.(Just found out we are getting another granddaughter in June). I enjoy hiking with my Springer and am an avid digital photographer. Fly fishing and fly tying are also on that list. I am a Michigan grad and have been stuck in this state of Ohio since 1975. But Holden Arb., just down the road in Kirtland, has been a constant respite from the doldrums of life. Me and my dog and my pipe hike there all the time.
I began smoking a pipe in 1976 and still have the large glass humidor containing a toasted cavendish blend that was my favorite back then. It is still moist and smells great. I have since moved into English/Balkan and just recently into Flake. Just this morning, I picked up 3 tins of 1792.
I have decided to stock up on 1792, as this appears to be my goto flake. University is a close second, but much more mild. Based upon a review on this site, I ordered a tin of Meridian, and for good measure, a tin of Jack Knife Plug and Odyssey. My current favorite English blends are Old Dublin, London Mixture, 965, Commonwealth, Squadron Leader, Caravan and Balkan Sasieni. The Frog Morton series is also on that list, sometimes... Other flakes that I have tried and like are Irish Flake and Virginia Flake.
That's all for now. On to Holden with my Bing full of 1792 and the dog. Happy New Year all.

toadfrog

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
Hello all, my name is Bill and I'm from Houston, Texas. I have been reading the forum for a few days and I'm impressed with all the information. I recently took up the pipe. One of the best moves I've ever made.
I'm still "green" as to pipe smoking, but I can see that I've introduced myself to a passion that I've been searching for. I'll be spending a lot of time soaking up the intellectual nutriment of the forum. As time passes, I may even get a post or two in.
Greetings to all.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think I forgot to say hello to you all -- I'm Dallas (dhintonca) from Vancouver Canada. I've been a pipe smoker since about 1965 when I was working in the Canadian Arctic, and apart from a 20 year medical hiatus, been smoking them every since. I've a small collection of working pipes, and a couple of museum pieces I haul out on special occasions! As well, I've about a dozen in a box in the basement which I can't find :oops: at the moment - I'm hoping, however......

joejumps4fun

Lurker
Dec 30, 2011
Hello All,
My name is Joseph...friends and family call me "Joey". I am from Northern VA near historic Fredericksburg...just 30 minutes south of DC and I've been smoking pipe for only 3 months now. I started in October...unfortunately I don't remember which day! But I have a few nice pipes and I'm really getting into it! So far I've only smoked aromatics (Lane 1Q, Sweet Vanilla, Cherry Cav) and got my first English blend: Savinvelli 1876 with some very nice undertones I am too unexperienced to describe.
I am 29, a husband, army vet, filmmaker (and seeking work!) and I ride the unicycle. That just about describes me. More about my films on my website (josephneigh.com)...but for now, I'm glad to join the ranks of pipe smokes! Anyone from VA/DC?

jew_jitsu

Lurker
Dec 30, 2011
Hello,
My name is Dave. I'm 30 from Michigan (in the process of moving to Philadelphia). My wife bought me my first pipe for Chanukah from smokingpipes.com and I'm very pleased. It came with a briar pipe, tobacco holder, tamper, pipe cleaners, stand and three 1.5 oz samples of tobacco; Sutliff Private Stock Blend No. 5, Tobacco Galleria Irish Creme and Rum & Maple So far my favorite is the blended. It has a very mesquite flavor.
Looking forward to hanging out and learning.

smokinggun

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2011
Hello everyone My name is Darby, I am a lady pipe smoker, I have lived in Sweden for 5 years but was born in America. Since I am new to pipe smoking (started in march 2011) I have joined here to learn more about it.

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Hey Ya'll, Shaw here. I have enjoyed the pipe for getting on three years now. I have visited this site before and found you Fellas supportive and educational. Thought I would join the party. Happy New Year.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Evening (where appropriate) to all! New to the pipe not new to tobacco. Spent a good piece of my youth smoking Camles like dad... started in the army ("Smoke 'em if you got 'em!" was for me! Easier than pushups!) Became a social smoker over time, especialy when a cocktail was involved! Quit and smoked Middleton Black and Milds when nerves got the best of me and I needed the cool calm of smoke. Talked about pipes (smoked my first at 15 after Robin Williams Popeye movie came out in 1980!) for a long time. This Christmas my son (a RYO guy) walked into Cup O Joes here in Queensbury and brought dear old dad a starter kit and a can of Half and Half (just like Papa Jim!)! "Stop talking and start smoking dad!" Love it! Love the website!

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
2nd newbie post: Not sure I should ask this here but I had a question regarding Middleton's Apple tobacco. Why would the manufacturer decide not to make it available in 12 or 14 oz tins? On the opposite note, why would Sugar Barrel be available in large tins and not pouches? The former makes it difficult to stock up and the latter makes it difficult to try out new tobacco...

schacht

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Germany
Hello and a happy new year, I recently registered finally and I´m glad to have the opportunity to introduce myself:
my name is Thilo and I live in Berlin, Germany, smoked my first pipe in 1998 and quit smoking cigarrettes, cigars and pipe sometime around 2001. Two years ago I felt, that I really missed pipe smoking and realized that especially nowadays, any reasonable man and woman shoud definately enjoy tobacco. So I started to get me some pipes again. This time, I think pipe smoking really catched me somehow and during these last 24 months, I simply had lots of fun smoking and gathering pipes.
I´m very much interested in sharing information about pipes and tobacco and pipe history as well, I love those older Dunhills and Charatans, and I´m really looking forward to congregate with other pipe smokers here at PipeMagazine.
My favorite five pipes are the following:
SCH_1752_Poster_web.jpg
SCH_1631_web.jpg
As you maybe - unfortunately - have noticed, english is not my first language. Please excuse the mistakes I make.
Kind regards

Thilo

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
Hi! Im new to pipe smoking and collecting! My names cody and I cant wait to immerse myself in the wonderous world of pipes!

karlj

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Steger, IL
Hello all and Happy New Year!! My name is Karl, Im a 34 year old man with a beautiful wife and two awesome children. Im a Journeyman Plumber out of the Chicago L.U. 130 and I live in a south suburb of Chicago. Ive been smoking cigars on and off since early 2000. Back in 2004 I tried smoking a pipe but was discouraged and abandoned it almost as quickly as I started. In November of 2011, my father in law and I went to Iwan Ries where I purchased a nice Nording Freehand, some Iwan Ries 3 star aromatic and Iwan Ries gourmet english. I've thoroughly enjoyed this obsession since.

This looks like a great community. Im hoping to make some friends, learn and share...

-Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.