PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macbean

Lurker
Jul 17, 2014
I've been smoking a pipe -- off and on -- for well over 50 years. That, however, doesn't mean I know anything. But I continue to learn through forums like this, and I'm anxious to read and learn more about what has been a wonderful relaxing, reflective hobby. I regard a good book and a good pipe a a major means of avoiding therapy. For the most part, I enjoy straight Virginia blends that just seem to get better and better even as the anti-tobacco forces conspire to shut us all down. As a Canadian, I worry that my sources of supply are gradually being shut down as it becomes harder and harder to acquire good tobaccos. Other areas of personal interest include lathe work -- both metal and wood; playing (and building) mandolins; and growing tobaccos, but perfection in that aspect of our hobby remains illusive.
I hope to participate in some good discussions, and thanks for letting me join in. . .

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome aboard. There are many Canadians here so I'm sure they'll be looking to hook up with you. Enjoy your time here. We're generally a loveable lot.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Welcome Mr. Macbean.
Supply may eventually become a problem for us all, so it's wise to begin cellaring. :)
I'm with you on the pipe and book combination. I've recently finished all the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Mysterious Island and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, all with the help of pipe and tobacco. I just started War of the Worlds yesterday. All of the classics I thought were so boring in high school are now fascinating.
I'd like to see some pictures of your mandolins. My wife plays a Breedlove made here in Oregon.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm a new member but I've been reading a lot about the subject matter so I can already 'hear' the responses to the following question.
What tobacco cellars/hoards best?
Don't give me the old, well, it depends on what you like...SOMETHING or TYPE must be most favorable for a long term siege. (seems I've gleaned it's Virginia's, amiright?)

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
11ie520.jpg

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Since you've been smoking for so long you must be of the elderly persuasion as some of us here are including myself.It seems to me that someone who builds mandolins knows something of perfection..Welcome..

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
Howdy! I'm not really new, but I don't post very often so I guess I counts. The name's Jeff. I like my corncobs but also enjoy traditional briar. Listen to a lot of heavy metal and I'm in university studying Medieval Russia.
I too am Canadian! In Victoria, BC. Not sure if anyone else here lives near me but I guess it'd be cool. The only pipe smokers I know are my roommate and my wife.

Jul 15, 2011
A warm welcome to all our new brothers! Please remember that the only stupid question is one that goes unasked. And don't mind us forum vets, we're just here to ramble out why aromatic tobaccos stink to high heavens and post pics of pipes that are no less than $1000 and are the peak of pure perfection and anyone caught smoking a Dr. Grabow will be beaten about the face and neck with packets of Mixture 79 until they see the error of their ways.
:mrgreen:
I kid, I kid.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome aboard. This is a forum where you'l find 10,000 of your closest friends happy to share experiences with you, offer advice, etc. I've been smoking a pipe for nearly 55 years, and I've still got things to learn, and while I have imparted some of my knowledge to members of this forum, at times I've been the recipient of extremely valuable new knowledge from others. There is no way I can check out every tobacco on the market, but by reading about the experiences others have had, I feel as if I've shared these tobaccos with them. Ditto for pipes, accessories,, techniques and so forth. It's a real blast being here and you're welcome as one of us.

lannarkgent

Lurker
Aug 20, 2014
Hello all,

I have picked up smoking pipes once again after a hiatus of 10 years. I got rid of more than15 pipes when I stopped, holding on to a very large gourded calabash and one other 28 year old pipe that I hit with a lawn mower. This forced me to look at buying new pipes. I have purchased three and after seeing what prices are now, I am going to try my hand at restoration.
I am an English style smoker with an occasional foray to the aromatics. I like heavy Latakia blends and I am looking forward to receiving the Cornell and Diehl Da Vinci that is on its way.
Situated in West Michigan, I like Drew Estates Central Park Stroll and Dunhill Nightcap.
I am so pleased to be here, as finding a knowledgeable pipe smoker is hard.
For a pipe smoker, the internet is a very good friend indeed.

briaradeptnyc

Lurker
Aug 20, 2014
Hey guys! I've always been intrigued by pipe smoking but first picked it up while living in Germany, about 10 years ago. Sitting outside in a beautiful beer garden with a nice pipe, a good book, and some excellent beer is pretty much my idea of heaven! I live in New York City now, which isn't exactly an ideal place to pursue our wonderful hobby, but I manage. Up until pretty recently I've been mostly a "closet smoker", mainly due to the fact that I was pretty young and looked even younger and as such would get glared at whenever I smoked in public here, but now at the ripe old age of 34 (ha!), my skin has grown a bit thicker and I've learned to pretty much stop caring about strangers on the street and what they might think of me.

I enjoy many different kinds of tobacco, depending on the time of year and my mood. In the summer I like virginias, VaPers and nice light aromatics, and in the colder months I really like a good strong English blend and occasionally some of the "goopier" aromatics, when the mood strikes me.

I look forward to learning from all of you and to participating in some lively discussion! Cheers!

wasatch

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Greetings.
I am from Utah, the not so friendly tobacco state : (
I have been smoking cigars for 5 years, and am

looking forward to expanding my tobacco horizons.
-B

Status
Not open for further replies.