New Member here. Hello from New Haven, CT.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Hello smokers!
I am new to the art of pipe smoking. Actually, this is my 2nd time getting into it. The first time I was a 20 year old kid and although I really enjoyed it, I was told I looked silly smoking a pipe at that age. Now I am 49 years old and 2 things have happened. 1, I no longer look silly smoking a pipe and 2, I no longer care whether anybody thinks I do anyway.
My grandfather smoked a pipe and I remember absolutely loving the manly smell of it. Like me, he was an intellectual and I picture him always reading a book, sitting in his favorite chair smoking the Sherlock Holmes style bent pipe that he loved so much. This is what piqued my interest in pipe smoking all those years ago. Now, after a few months quitting cigarettes, I figured this might be a good time to take it back up. For now I have a cheap Dr. Grabow pipe but I am looking to upgrade. The problem is that there are so many pipe brands and some are very expensive. Can anyone recommend me a decent brand pipe? I am looking to spend around $150 and I prefer European made non-filtered pipes. I appreciate anyones input and look forward to communicating with you all.
Spend around that amount for a estate Radice or a bit more and get a new Radice rind. Great pipes, handmade and better than many more expensive brands. You probably also ought to get a lower priced pipe such as a Rossi.
Pepe, Sally's or Modern?

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Welcome from the People's Republic of New York. If you are are on Facebook I would suggest you look into The Hartford Reading Society. It's a Pipe Group up in Connecticut. I have attended a meet up at The Owl Shop they hosted. Good group of people. As to upgrading your pipes I would suggest Kaywoodies. They are well made American pipes made in upstate New York. You can find the best selection at Greywoodie.

Last edited:

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
Welcome from Canada!
I think most european pipe makers like Peterson, Savinelli, Nording, etc. have models for $150, so it shouldn't be hard to find

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Hello smokers!
I am new to the art of pipe smoking. Actually, this is my 2nd time getting into it. The first time I was a 20 year old kid and although I really enjoyed it, I was told I looked silly smoking a pipe at that age. Now I am 49 years old and 2 things have happened. 1, I no longer look silly smoking a pipe and 2, I no longer care whether anybody thinks I do anyway.
My grandfather smoked a pipe and I remember absolutely loving the manly smell of it. Like me, he was an intellectual and I picture him always reading a book, sitting in his favorite chair smoking the Sherlock Holmes style bent pipe that he loved so much. This is what piqued my interest in pipe smoking all those years ago. Now, after a few months quitting cigarettes, I figured this might be a good time to take it back up. For now I have a cheap Dr. Grabow pipe but I am looking to upgrade. The problem is that there are so many pipe brands and some are very expensive. Can anyone recommend me a decent brand pipe? I am looking to spend around $150 and I prefer European made non-filtered pipes. I appreciate anyones input and look forward to communicating with you all.
Welcome from Texas!

Mar 11, 2023
New Haven, CT
Welcome from the People's Republic of New York. If you are are on Facebook I would suggest you look into The Hartford Reading Society. It's a Pipe Group up in Connecticut. I have attended a meet up at The Owl Shop they hosted. Good group of people. As to upgrading your pipes I would suggest Kaywoodies. They are well made American pipes made in upstate New York. You can find the best selection at Greywoodie.
People's Republic of New York? Is that to say it's become a communist place?🤔

St. David Pipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2023
Western Pennsylvania
youtube.com
Hello smokers!
Welcome

DesertDan

Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Hello from Arizona and welcome!
I got my first pipe when I was 15 a Dr. Grabow bent billiard, I still have it and smoke it these many decades later.

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
Hello! I am familiar with Waterbury, my brother lived in Oakville for many years. Can you recommend any good tobacco shops in the area? I used to go to The Callabash Shop in Hamden but I guess they closed years ago.
Sure thing. The Owl Shop in New Haven has a decent in house selection of tobaccos. I like most of their blends. Up in Smoke in Cromwell has a few tins and an in-house blend with their own whiskey as a top. Pretty good, even if you aren't into aromatic tobaccos. There is the Hartford Reading Society that meets every 2nd Thursday in Hartford... A quick search on here will bring you to that group.