PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

epazikas

Lurker
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
Hi! My name is Ed Pazikas, I am a 58 old age Swedish and new in the tobacco world. Yes, I never smoked before and decided to have a start on tobacco pipe due to issues I have with loneliness, depression and pressure at work. The reason who led me to pipe smoking over other options it is because I appreciate and like the nostalgia, I like and use for example straight razors for shaving, and I ride an old motorcycle.
i want to learn from you and confess I am a bit disappointed with my first smokes, because I am looking for fragrance aromatic tobaccos, I tried SavinelI Black Cavendish, Mac Baren Special choice and Virginia Vanilla Honeybrew in search for the aroma in the air and a sweet taste in the mouth while smoking but haven’t found it. Anyone can help and have a proposal on which choice should I try? Thank you! Ed

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
HI from France. Are you drying your tobaccos first? Stuff from the pouch is usually wet and sticky. It requires a lot of heat to burn and then burns hot and bitter. Set a few pipe fulls out and let it dry by a window in the sun. Then try it. Also dont pack your pipe tight. It takes practice and aromatics take even more practice

I just looked those blends up. Yes, all of them will need significant airing out. Different smokers smoke differently but you want it to at least feel dry (not brittle) to the touch. Most guys do at least some dry on most tobacos. It should not stick together or feel wet. Then load gently and when you tamp do it from the edges inward like you are building a fire (beacuse you are). Smoke slowly. Just experiment. You will get much better smokes than with it wet from the pouch and you will start to get the flavors. It takes time.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I found some reading for you
This is a great thread

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I started 10 yrs ago because of my health too. Both mental and physical came into play but it was the mental side that the pipe helped me with that makes me feel it has been worthwhile.
I had been a smoker, and had quit for 3 yrs when I was able to retire because I became eligible to buy Medicare health insurance at age 65. After about 9 mos. of retirement, I became so physically sick that I also started to become depressed and stressed. I began to roll my own again. After about a month of smoking ryo OHM tobacco I thought to myself: why not bypass these stinking chemically laden papers and get a corn cob from the drug store? So, I did. I smoked it like it was a cigarette for awhile, till I discovered the incredible realities of pipe smoking and achieving nicotine stress relief AND great taste without inhaling!
Room note to me is largely undetectable, but I sure can taste my pipes. While smell and taste are linked, most blend's taste are more suggestive of their aroma.
I say, approach pipe smoking with all the focus you can muster as it will provide you a learning experience that results in calm satisfaction.

epazikas

Lurker
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
HI from France. Are you drying your tobaccos first? Stuff from the pouch is usually wet and sticky. It requires a lot of heat to burn and then burns hot and bitter. Set a few pipe fulls out and let it dry by a window in the sun. Then try it. Also dont pack your pipe tight. It takes practice and aromatics take even more practice

I just looked those blends up. Yes, all of them will need significant airing out. Different smokers smoke differently but you want it to at least feel dry (not brittle) to the touch. Most guys do at least some dry on most tobacos. It should not stick together or feel wet. Then load gently and when you tamp do it from the edges inward like you are building a fire (beacuse you are). Smoke slowly. Just experiment. You will get much better smokes than with it wet from the pouch and you will start to get the flavors. It takes time.
Hello Sigismund, greetings! No, I haven’t dried them out at all, just opened the tin and straight used the tobacco in the pipe and lit it. Another thing is that I packed it possibly harder than you are suggesting me to do. Thanks for the tips, I just started with pipe smoking this week so it was a first timer, but the aroma was pure tobacco and not pleasant att all. I will try as you say and leave some tobacco or the whole of the tin to dry out nearby the window and after a few days try it again. From the brands I mentioned above, which one would you say is the sweeter and which leaves a nice bouquet in the air? Else my wife will through me away from our house. ;-P…
Any other flavored tobacco type and brand you would recommend? The lowest nicotine on it the better for me. Mercy… Ed

Reactions: OverMountain

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
It wont take days to dry. Just a couple of hours. It varies by condition and temp. I cant advise you on those blends as I only looked them up to know they were aromatics. They are ususally soaking wet when opened.

epazikas

Lurker
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
Greetings from Southwest Germany. I applaud and understand your reasons for taking up the pipe. Hopefully it will help. I can only concur with Sigmund and you wii find alot of Info and experience here.
Thank you, i am thankful for your welcoming. This gives me some motivation and I hope entering the pipe smoking world (aromatics) will help me out…
and greetings from Göteborg, Sweden… Ed

epazikas

Lurker
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
I started 10 yrs ago because of my health too. Both mental and physical came into play but it was the mental side that the pipe helped me with that makes me feel it has been worthwhile.
I had been a smoker, and had quit for 3 yrs when I was able to retire because I became eligible to buy Medicare health insurance at age 65. After about 9 mos. of retirement, I became so physically sick that I also started to become depressed and stressed. I began to roll my own again. After about a month of smoking ryo OHM tobacco I thought to myself: why not bypass these stinking chemically laden papers and get a corn cob from the drug store? So, I did. I smoked it like it was a cigarette for awhile, till I discovered the incredible realities of pipe smoking and achieving nicotine stress relief AND great taste without inhaling!
Room note to me is largely undetectable, but I sure can taste my pipes. While smell and taste are linked, most blend's taste are more suggestive of their aroma.
I say, approach pipe smoking with all the focus you can muster as it will provide you a learning experience that results in calm satisfaction.
Thank you for sharing your experience as well….highly appreciated and it would be very nice to be in touch with all of you, Ed