PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
So I'm tagging along with the wife today rolling through the antique shops and such when I find this lighter. It is a Laguiole and obviously a pipe lighter due to the fact that it has a tamper and a pick built in. I dont know much about it except that I paid $8 and it works.
GEDC0116.jpg

GEDC0117.jpg

GEDC0118.jpg

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Hmmm, I have a cigar cutter from them, didn't know they made lighters. Love the bee emblem, their trademark. Nice catch.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Yeah I cant find anything online guess my google fu is weak today, but it sure does a nice job.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
Originally posted by markw4mms:
Very nice lighter! I really need one now,since mine just broke. [:cry:]

Have you tried a Beattie Jet Lighter? Those old Laguioles are hard to come by but the Beattie is easy to pick up on eBay. It's also got he bonus of the flame shooting out to the side for easy pipe lighting. I've tried plenty of lighters and my Beattie has become my go to pipe lighter (I hate the sound of piezo-electric ignition on modern lighters- just not as classy and it's loud and annoying when smoking around others).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhnDLzWXkA

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
At $8 you can't go wrong. Very nice looking. Congratulations :clap:

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
polyflame dude
is that real wood ? can you tell what kind ?
the link above, and if you first click the pic below then click through the image on the page there, go to polyflame
if you can figure it out after that then you must not be french reading impaired or a lot smarter than me
( btw - there is a
click here you stupid american
button on the top right but that didn't seem to help )

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
if you can figure it out after that then you must not be french reading impaired or a lot smarter than me
ok i kind of figured it out - there is a link to a

mouth watering catalog there
maybe you're not so much smarter than me after all
after looking at the pdf doc - there are a lot of cool things to look at but unfortunately i found no evidence of flint, fuel or flame pertaining to the aforementioned fire facilitator

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 with Ed there. Laguiole is a French company that makes all kinds of outdoorsy stuff. They're known for very thin long knives and what's called "sommelier" cork screws. They ventured into pipes a little, with pipes made by butz choquin and lighters from poly flame.
Cool find though. Let me know if you ever want to get rid of that puppy ;-)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
This is a Laguiole knife. I had one growing up. Wonder if it's still at,y mom's house somewhere...
33k0607s1.jpg

The other "Famous" brand of French knives is Opinel, of which I still have two here.
pocket.jpg

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
@ Mick
i will trade you

lifeon2 ' s lighter

for

your two knives
( i am still working on the part about how to get the lighter - stay tuned - maybe if you let me borrow the big knife i can use it to pry the lighter out of his cold dead hands - oops wrong survival apparatus' metaphor quotation )

Status
Not open for further replies.