PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Hello there gentlemen, welcome to a great forum. The folks that post here are wonderful. It seems like you've been welcomed with open arms already.

Mar 1, 2014
-fjneslage
Good that you are active. So far pipe smoking hasn't caused me any shortness of breath. I try to stay active, it does make a difference. How much do you smoke per day? I generally smoke two or three bowels, mostly in the evening.
First off, welcome to the forum.
I know it's a bit of a hot topic, but if you can avoid inhaling it's not going to affect your lungs at all.

(I realise that some people will have already developed that reflex and may have a harder time than others.)

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Hey Fred, welcome to the forum! Always good to hear of prodigal sons returning to the ancient hobby, haha. A lot has changed in 20 years, there is a lot of catching up to do! Enjoy the eide brother.
-BnB

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Hello Fred, and newbroom and be welcomed.
For many, many years I only smoked aromatics which I ordered from the Takoma, Washington Tinder Box store. Just a couple of years ago on a whim I ordered a blend called "Sherlock's Choice" and was accidentally introduced to the world of English blends. I found it to be a mild and well balanced blend and it made me wanting more. I think it was good introduction but others here may provide better ideas.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to be, and you'll find all kinds of information about pipes, tobaccos and the art of smoking along with 10,000 of your closest friends. If you have a store nearby that sells a tobacco you enjoy, stick with it. Otherwise, you will be amazed at how the variety of tobaccos has proliferated over the last 20 years. There are literally thousands of tobacco blends out there, and you're sure to find one you like. Of course, once you get started at that, you will find yourself afflicted with TAD--tobacco acquisition disorder.
By the way, I think you have just taken a title away from me as the oldest guy on the forum. I'm 72, and at 73, I believe the crown passes to you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fred, welcome to the center of the pipe world, or so we like to think. If you haven't discarded your old pipes,

you might want to follow some of the threads on restoration on Forums or avail yourself of the various pipe

repairmen who can bring back a pipe from decrepitude and make it shine. As for non-aromatic mild tobaccos,

there are a world of them out there. If you'd like to try a flake (flat pressed squares of tobacco you "rub out,"

break up by hand) I'd recommend Orlik Golden Sliced, Peter Stokkeybye's Luxury Navy Flake, or Cup O Joes

#5. If you like burley, Carter Hall is a fine mild smoke, as is Lanes Burley Without Bite, and Prince Albert. But

there is a vast selection, and it is likely you can find a number that suit you exactly. You can buy sample packs

or create your own sample pack by ordering several examples in one ounce portions in bulk to save a buck.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Welcome! I think you'll find that this forum is full of folks who are more than happy to help guide you on your renewed pipe smoking journey.
As for suggestions of some nice, non-aro smokes, I think you should try some straight Virginia. Something like Dunhill Flake or Orlik Golden Sliced. These are nice, bright flakes that you can fold and stuff or just rub out and pack like you would an aromatic. To me, there is nothing like some Dunhill Flake in a cob!

fjneslage

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
Many thanks to all of you who gave me the suggestions on some new types of tobacco to try. To me that's one of the great advantages to smoking a pipe. It just adds to the enjoyment. I am in the process of ordering a bunch of 1 oz samples today. Also I would like to thank all of you for making me a welcome member of the forum. I am really excited about all I can learn about pipes and tobacco.

Fred

fjneslage

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
Junkyarddawg, the reason I quit smoking was at time, I was smoking pipes and cigarettes and was having health issues. Smoking was also becoming increasingly unpopular, especially in the office or at meetings. Long story short I just quit. I really missed my pipes, so last January I figured screw it, I'm going to enjoy my pipes for the years I have left. I also quit inhaling.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.