PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I bought this Dunhill tanshell because I like the tanshell finish and just haven't seen many I'd want to have. Found it on smokingpipes.eu

I've always been curious about the poker shape, so figured why not?

It was a tossup between this and an Eltang, but the Eltang had a black finish, which I have enough examples of already.

Comes with an inner-tube, so I guess we'll see if that sticks around.

I was going to wait to pick it up until I was in Germany, but then saw the VAT added an extra E$200+ if I had it shipped there... MENSCHENSKINDER! I'll chance the shipping time... which I suspect will be fine.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I will try it both ways and see how it goes. The small bit of reading I did about them seemed to show some benefits (dry smoke because of less turbulence), so it's worth a shot.

My guess is that it will just be something extra to clean and I'll not use it, but you never know. Might depend on how tight the fit is, I guess. I'm curious to see how it works.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@doptedlamp,Yes can't deny, when sales tax is deducted & free shipping is offered what else a man can ask for,
as far as for those innertubes, I was detecting some extra condensation building-up when I was using it for the first initial smoke with my Dunhill prince shape, will look into this further ,
Ps, not always Dunhills are much cheaper in England mostly because of the strong exchange rate of the pound sterling(£) and it is seldom when independent tobacconists in England are offering discounts to this very brand

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I was detecting some extra condensation building-up when I was using it for the first initial smoke with my Dunhill prince shape
That's interesting. I was reading that the straight shot of the tube should reduce the moisture, because there's less turbulence. But maybe that's all armchair math and mumbling. Luckily, it seems like you can take them out without issue. Curious to know if that's the case.

The tanshells on smokingpipes.com were all going for about $1k... without the silver band/mount, which I think usually pops them up a bit higher. Smokingpipes.eu beat that by a wide margin without the tax.

I just eat shit on the exchange rates, which in my case was Canadian. I have an account in Europe, but it's cash only and not worth the hassle it would have been to access it for this kind of money. Even so, I have no idea where smokingpipes.eu is actually based, but it's in Euro, so the exchange was ok... or at least what I'm used to. Haven't bothered to look at UK sites.

Actually, I wasn't even in the market for a Dunhill pipe. This one just caught my eye and you were supposed to buy it so I didn't...

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That’s a beautiful pipe and like anything else in the pipe world, inner tube issues can be greatly exaggerated. I personally love them, but they slip right out if you decide they aren’t for you, so nothing to worry about.

Again, that’s a fantastic Tanshell!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
That's interesting. I was reading that the straight shot of the tube should reduce the moisture, because there's less turbulence. But maybe that's all armchair math and mumbling. Luckily, it seems like you can take them out without issue. Curious to know if that's the case.

The tanshells on smokingpipes.com were all going for about $1k... without the silver band/mount, which I think usually pops them up a bit higher. Smokingpipes.eu beat that by a wide margin without the tax.

I just eat shit on the exchange rates, which in my case was Canadian. I have an account in Europe, but it's cash only and not worth the hassle it would have been to access it for this kind of money. Even so, I have no idea where smokingpipes.eu is actually based, but it's in Euro, so the exchange was ok... or at least what I'm used to. Haven't bothered to look at UK sites.

Actually, I wasn't even in the market for a Dunhill pipe. This one just caught my eye and you were supposed to buy it so I didn't...
Good Evening Sir,love your colorful'' English Sir,but Yes SPC.EU is Based in Ireland right beside to Peterson's headquarters in Salynoggings Ireland, and as in Ireland they do accept Euros,as far as other tobacconists in the UK go, based on my recent online researches ,their prices are somewhat less in comparison to the continent,especially,smoke.co.uk & smoke-king.co.uk but shortages in supply of various models are not rare event there. Next up; innertubes,we will keep experimenting on this,but based on my limited experience, any obstacle(metal stringers,I mean does tend to collect some moisture in the mortise,but let us see how this goes eventually)Best Greets, Paul

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I believe you meant to write "colourful," which really, is the only acceptable English to use. I realize that most of the Americans who left in the old days probably were not very intelligent and had a hard time carrying the language with them, but you'd think a few hundred years is more than sufficient to sort out a simple mistake!

Mercy. I'm only kidding. The world loves Americans. Don't let anyone say otherwise.

That's a pity that the tube isn't working out ideally. It seems to make sense, being that metal is going to have a tough time absorbing moisture compared to briar. The point in their favour also seemed to make sense.
I'll put mine through the paces and see how it goes. I'm not expecting much though. I haven't kept an insert of any kind in the few times it has come with a pipe of mine. They have just gotten in the way. But, I'll keep an open mind.

Otherwise, are you satisfied with your new pipe? The construction on the newer Dunhill's seems fine to me. It's not a brand I collect, but I do have a fairly new billiard with fantastic ring grain and a bamboo shank that I can't find fault with. I'm hoping for similar quality.

I have a Sir Dunhill White Spot 2018 Tanshell Billiard with the tube and I have always smoked it with it in. I am not sure if it makes a difference but if I get all wrapped up in a movie and forget to check my tobacco level as I am puffing away, I figure it might save my stummel from excessive damage. I still have to swab it out if I am smoking a wet-ish blend. I have never had an Aromatic in it but I assume it would be worse.

The quality of this pipe is excellent and it smokes in the top of its class. I have several Dunhills ranging from 1928 to this 2018 and they are all top notch smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.