PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Hello gents and ladies!
I got new Chacom yesterday which looks absolutely beautiful. However, it seems like the it was drilled high as it is a bent pipe, so the pipe cleaner hits the wood right below the hole. I think I tried majority of suggestions-like backing off a bit and twist, having a little bend at the end of PC, etc. Even though I could not get it through, fortunately, I rarely use pipe cleaner during the smoke and I've also heard that pipe cleaner test does not necessarily guarantee the quality of pipe. So those things are not concerns for me...
My concern is that, I would have to take apart the pipe after each and every smoke. And it seems like that will, over the course of time, loosen the stem. I was taught not to disassemble pipe as much as possible except for the occasional deep cleaning. I am not sure if I should keep it or return it...
What would you do??

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Nice pipe !! I always take apart my pipes to clean them. They are not failing in any way due to vigorous usage. Don't worry. Smoke it. :puffy:
Or send it to me, I have no concerns. :D

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
I am sorry, but now it is no longer a concern.

Therefore, I am keeping it. :D

Thank you for your thoughts!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I remove the stem after smoking a pipe and clean the stem and the bowl separately. Nothing has happened in a year. Of course, after each smoke I wait enough for the pipe to cool down.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Of course! I should wait till it cools down. I've read somewhere that physically twisting the stem out is not the culprit of loose stem but the humidity and as you said, a warm pipe is.

Thank you for your thoughts!

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
I was so busy with the pipe cleaner... I failed to notice the little chip/dent in the bowl! Although it is a really shallow chip, with my finger, I can feel my finger "falling into" the chip.

(How did I miss that?!)
Should I be worried about this?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I wouldn't have worried if there hadn't been that darkened area around. Let's see what others are going to say since I am not very familiar with the briar.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Yikes. Yeah, a little concern is due here. On the one hand, briar is tough and a pit that shallow shouldn't be a problem. On the other, as Jvnshr pointed out, that darkened area could indicate more pitting beneath. It might be a thermal feature from drilling and be a weak spot. If it were outside, there would be a fill, but inside it could burn out. I'm by no means an expert. I would contact Chacom, or whomever you bought it from, and bring the issue to their attention, with photo, and see what they have to say. They will most likely offer a trade or discount. Now you have to decide how much you like this particular pipe. If it were me, I'd go with the devil you know as opposed to the devil you don't know. I'd ask for a discount then take my chances. But then, I'm a cheap bastard. There are many who would not accept this kind of flaw, and rightly so, for the amount of money you are spending on a new pipe. I'd like to hear what the more knowledgeable members have to say on this issue. Regardless, there is a decision in your future. Good Luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I saw that before I bought the pipe, I'd pass on buying it. Once I'd bought it, I might decide to take my chances. It could be a spot that would start a process and end in a burn-out, though I think it is more likely that once you develop some carbon in the bowl, it will stabilize and you'll never have a problem. But if I saw that starting out, I'd have put the pipe back on the pipe shop rack.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Looks like a stone/sand inclusion that is pretty common with briar. I wouldn´t be too worried but you can put a little dab of pipe cement on it if you´re so inclined.
Lovely Bulldog ny the way...
Cheers
Frank

Jan 8, 2013
I wouldn't worry about the pipe cleaner test, but that pit in the chamber would be a concern, I think. It's a shame too, because that is a lovely pipe. I would contact the seller and exchange it for another.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Im not qualified to offer up much advice but I do feel the need to comment that it is an incredibly beautiful pipe!

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
This is very unfortunate, as it is a beautiful pipe and I would like to keep it in my collection. I bought this pipe from pipesandcigars.com and I sent them an email. I am going to see what they can do for me.
As a newbie, I would have easily passed by this spot without your thoughts. Therefore, thank you once again for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate them! :D

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
once you develop some carbon in the bowl, it will stabilize and you'll never have a problem
I purchased a Ropp a couple years ago where I found a similar issue in the bowl. I contacted the seller and informed them of the discovery. They made a note on my file and told me to smoke away. If the pipe burned through at the flaw within one year, the seller would take the pipe back and replace it. In the end, like MSO recommends, the cake naturally filled the flaw and the pipe is a wonderful smoker today.
It sounds like you have informed P&C, they should take care of you.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
I have informed P&C and emailing back and forth on what to do with it.

Since it is such a lovely pipe, as mayfair70 suggested, I decided to go with the devil I know.

I have asked for a discount but haven't got a response yet.
Anyways... thank you again for all of your helpful and detailed inputs!

Status
Not open for further replies.