PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I am shopping for a fuel efficient car and I am in a bit of a conundrum. I am looking at TDi vehicles but in doing so can't get over that diesel fuel is more expensive. See if you follow me here...

On average Diesel fule costs about ~20% more than gas. So if I were to buy a TDi that advertises 42 MPG, that would translate to ~34MPG for a gas vehicle based on current fule prices I looked at today. Here's my questsion. I commute over 75 miles each day. I want to be fuel efficient but I also want comfort and amenities (bluetooth, nav, kickin stereo). My budget is flexible, but I prefer SLIGHTLY used. Right now I am considering a 2013 Jetta Tdi but also a BMW 5 series that is pretty fuel efficient... there are a lot of smart people on here... any thoughts?

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Chevy Volt. My commute is 26 miles each way. After three years I had 38,000 miles on 34 gallons of gas. Charging station at work. Charging station at home. Buy one off lease for a song.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
charging station? You had to buy one to plug in at work? Remember.. comfort...amenities... I am not necessarily small in stature... not rotund either but you get my drift.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
No - we have 10 stations at my building alone. Not only did I not buy the charging station, I didn't have to pay for the electricity either. And I became the default driver for lunch each day as my cost per mile was zero. Went to lunch with a 6'3" buddy who must weigh 270. He slid the seat back, but otherwise fit fine.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
gigger, thanks. I hadn't looked that them. I am looking to buy. I am also intrigued by the 2015 Audi A3 Tdi... pretty sharp looking.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The payback on the upgrade to a diesel at your commuting rate is probably beyond the average 5 year auto loan.

I suspect a 75 mile commute is also beyond what a pure electric is capable of achieving.

My '08 Altima has 375,000 miles on it, I'll probably buy something next year.

My top choices would be the:

Hyundai Sonata or Kia Optima.

Both 4 cylinder models get MPG in the mid 30's.

I believe both still have a 100k powertrain warranty and each rec'd good marks in Road & Track and Autoweek (above the Accord & Camry)

I've rented the Optima, the rental was full of convenience options and drove like a dream.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Plus, on a diesel you have to add into your costs:

- the fuel treatment

- the timing belt needs replaced on the VW every 75k, at about $800 per job.

(the Optima/Hyundai/Accord 4 cylinders use a timing chain, lifetime item)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
forget VW unless you like hanging around auto repair shops and forget screwing with diesel. this morning regular gas was 3.19 and diesel was 3.99 not to mention the engine maintenance required. a very comfortable and reliable Honda Civic will get you 40 mpg. the current Civic's are about the size of my Accords of a few years ago.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I just traded in my '13 Sonata 2.0T for a Challenger, so i am the village idiot in this thread's instance, lol. I love the challenger and do not regret my decision one bit and it does not get as bad of gas mileage as most people think. I don't have a crazy commute and do not really drive a heck of a lot. I only put 17k miles on the Sonata, which i bought brand new off the show room floor and owned for around 26 months before i traded it in. I actually made a little bit of money on the Sonata and lowered my payments by purchasing the Challenger and because of my pristine driving record and smart shopping around, lowered my insurance payments by a dollar or two a month.
Al, the Sonatas and Optimas are both great cars and you cannot beat the warranty that they offer. I thoroughly enjoyed mine for the couple years i owned it and would definitely recommend either of them to anyone. They are basically the same car and differ very little outside of appearance. I don't like the route that they both have taken with the new models aesthetically speaking, but they are very reliable cars in my experience with them and are a great value.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I feel for you bro! Just buying a car is the worst! Dealers trying to throw in all those "required" fees and the best friend attitudes. Damn I hate car shopping.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sorry, no help here. I prefer the old gas guzzlers!

I'm currently restoring a 1972 Ford F-100 with a 390 big block that will be pushing around 450hp when I'm done with it, and probably be getting around 8mpg.

For fuel efficiency, I ride my Harley Davidson Electra Glide, which gets around 40-45mpg.

My daily driver is a Ford Explorer Sport Trac, which gets around 20mpg.

The most fuel efficient car I ever had was a Chevy Camaro Z-28 with a Tuned Port 305 small block (believe it or not), which got around 28mpg highway.

The only diesel I ever had was a 1995 Ford F-250 lwb 3/4 ton, with a 7.3L that got around 19mpv highway.

What can I say? I like good ole American iron!

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
The wife has a 75 mile round trip every day. We went with the Toyota Corolla Eco Premium. Leather seats, nav, fully loaded. Very nice car. Not your father's Corolla. $20,500 negotiated price. Gets 40 MPG. Nice car.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dochudson +1. VW has poor reliability/durability. You need a maintenance contract. Don't do it.
I'm facing car decision complicated by wife's medical mobility situation. Re-do old car for several grand

or buy new. May have to buy new for better chance at reliability, no guarantees, alas. I'm getting a little

long in the tooth for the "fun" of going for 200K miles plus.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
20141012_120129-600x450.jpg

Hemi Orange 2010 Challenger R/T. Love this car. Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust and K&N CAI as well as just got windows tinted to 20% all around. She purrs nicely! I plan on getting a tuner and upgrading the suspension with new coilovers soon to add better handling ability.
20130107_163442-600x450.jpg

Here's my old 2013 Sonata 2.0T Limited. I did a few modifications to the car including lowering springs with hub centric 20mm wheel spacers, HID 6000k low beam and fog light upgrades, 30% tint all around, professionally powdercoated 18" stock wheels, aftermarket solid black grille, debadged rear and 1 12" JL W3 subwoofer in the trunk.
Most of you probably could care less about any of this so just ignore the auto-jargon, lol. I love personalizing and customizing my vehicles to make them unique, just something i've always been into and probably always will.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with you layinpipe, I can't not tinker wit my car. I almost added a "Hemi-Orange" color to my previous comment, my favorite color on a Challenger. 6-speed?

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
BMW Hands down! They have the greatest service, greatest buying experience and who can argue with their track record in car and driver for best car in its class for over 20 years running. Buy one and thank me later. Oh, and they are fuel efficient, they actually have a fuel saver mode to maximize fuel efficiency, a comfort mode for smooth comfortable driving and a sport mode that will pin you back in your seat! I am 6'4" 278lbs and fit into my 328i perfectly so a 5 series would be perfect, that's the next car I am getting.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Al, unfortunately not, it is an automatic but has the tiptronic option to manually shift with the shifter. I definitely love manuals, especially with a muscle car, but i'm glad i got the automatic because driving them in traffic is a bitch and there is a lot of traffic in my neck of the woods. I would definitely go manual if it wasn't my daily driver. I'll have to settle for the tiptronic for now though.
@huskysibe, BMW's are very nice and their reputation is sterling. They just cost too much to fix and own over the long run, from what i have read. I drool over any of the M series, particularly the M3 because i think it is the perfect size/power/handling combo for me. I'd love to own one some day when i could afford it.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Diesel NO, fuel filters, oil changes, fuel treatment, cold weather hard starting, bought in 07 a Prius with the bigger wheels, leather , Handleing package, 1 battery, starting battery is all except tires, gets 42 in town and just a little over 50 mpg when she goes to Mandeville to vist Daughter. Will buy Prius V for the next one, little bigger. Can't go wrong with Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.