PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
Today I went to Rolling Thunder and the Vietnam Memorial in DC. A few months ago my Dad was diagnosed with moderate dementia so I decided to bring him down and see the wall. It was very emotional for him and myself. We spent a few hours their and we found the names of two guys he was with when they were hit and died. The best part of the day was when a few guys on the metro stopped and thanked him for his service. To all the men and women that gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom I say thank you. My dad's the one with his shirt open slinging the 60cal

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
@ Lockdown:
Of all the places you could visit this weekend, that would probably be at the top of the list of the most appropriate. I can only imagine how moving that must've been. I have seen and volunteered at the Travelling Wall, but have never been to DC to see the real one. You are fortunate to have been able to visit that monument. Thank you and your family for your sacrifices. Very cool photos.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
@ ranger, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else this weekend and yes the emotions that I felt for him were overwhelming.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is pretty special lockdown. I was never able to get my Dad down to the wall (we live an hour North of DC). He finally went once with my mom, but he didn't want me or my brother to see him there.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
He always called it a pony team, the way he explained it they would get dropped in somewhere and there main objective was to make contact with the NVA . Most of the guys in his unit or platoon were from the airborne that were sent over to the 1st cav. @ SS My dad evidently had a conversation with my mom and he told her he was going to ask me if I would mind if he went by himself. I did mention it to him before we got there and he said he didn't know how he would be emotionally and I told him that it would be ok if he went by himself, we ended up going together.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Sometimes I still miss being in the Army. Plenty of times it wasn't fun, but when it was fun, it was really fun.
Memorial Day is always kind of strange for me. Three good friends of mine fell to an Iraqi IED just south of Baghdad along with their interpretor (a heroic guy, educated fellow who had the means to get out of the country but wanted to stay and help.) I'd have been with them if I hadn't injured my right knee ACL.
One for the family before my time... "8th of November"

One for those in the future... "Castle of Glass"

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I posted this on FB late last night.
It's almost Memorial Day. I would like to take this moment to honor my 5*great grandfather, John Underwood,who died as a prisoner of war in the American Revolution in 1777 or early 1778. He left behind a widow with 5 children. He was about 35. I am descended from his oldest son, Isaac, who was about 13.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Thank you to all who are or have served and sacrificed for the rest of us. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Ravenwolf, the "8th of November" always brings crocodile tears to my eyes. I had never heard the second one. Both were very moving.
Here's another: The Mog

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks to one and all who have worn the uniform.
I am grateful that my Grandfather (who served in WWI), my father (who served in Europe during WWII), and my step-father (who served in the Pacific during WWII) all made it home. My mom was a "Rosie the riveter". My prayers to all who made it home and for those that didn't. May God bless you!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
2z7n3bq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.