Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Laura Dern’s character “Diane” smokes throughout the new Twin Peaks episodes.
One of my favorite lines (which I was looking for on youtube but couldn’t find it) is in a scene where she will be waiting alone in a morgue waiting room while the others she’s with go examine a body...she proceeds to light up. As they are leaving the room, one of them tells her she can’t smoke in there...she replies, “It’s a fucking morgue”.
Diane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl9rxEdSAvA

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I was driving to work today and heard an advert on the radio for the movie "Chappaquiddick".......... at the very end a voice says "film is rated PG-13 for thematic material, disturbing images, some strong language, AND HISTORICAL SMOKING"........ This is getting truly absurd, really?......... Historical F%@*&ing Smoking??........ :crazy:
Here's the Youtube trailer..... look at the Rating at the beginning..... God save the Children!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG-c8DtOm9g

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
AND HISTORICAL SMOKING"........ This is getting truly absurd, really?......... Historical F%@*&ing Smoking??
That “historical smoking” warning was mentioned once before by someone on here. Truly absurd is correct, to say the very least. It boggles the mind. Stuff like that is so stupid it’s really embarrassing.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
AND HISTORICAL SMOKING
czf3p.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The better not watch any episodes of Maigret on Britbox. The good Inspector Maigret is smoking his pipe in over 50% of his scenes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Old movies on the television often get censored for words these days. It's a social thing I can't get exorcised over. Same with smoking censorship. It's television, make believe, for crying out loud! Sure it's ludicrous but, it's simply people making choices, bending to changing social norms, attempting to avoid controversy on "social media." Lots of luck with that!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Old movies on the television often get censored for words these days. It's a social thing I can't get exorcised over. Same with smoking censorship.
Apples and oranges imo. Excluding smoking from a film or TV show to begin with is one thing, but adding “historical smoking” to the list of official criteria for setting ratings is bat-shit crazy.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yet again we agree! Ludicrous isn't a synonym for "bat-shit crazy" but, we implied the same.
Ah, I see. I was misinterpreting your point.
I’m really not at all surprised by smoking not being depicted as much in newer productions...but the historical warning thing strikes me as a whole other level of ludicrous.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
^^ That was my point too Brian. Its a given that they want to reduce smoking in movies, but hearing the advert on the radio while driving was a real eye opener. Just the term "Historical Smoking" is absurd............ :crazy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Social media has brought back the Power of the Mob.
People haven't changed a bit. They are still the same fearful, violent, resentful, controlling, envious, gloating, cruel, and ignorant creatures they were back when someone could point, scream "She's a witch!" and that person would get stoned to death or thrown into a bonfire.
The only thing that has changed is how many people can hear and respond to the accusation, and the weapons available to kill the witch. Both are orders of magnitude more efficient.
In short, EMOTION, not REASON, is back in charge.
The kind of Thought Police-style anti-smoking silliness mentioned in this thread will soon be the new normal for EVERYTHING.
Buckle your seatbelts, kids, it's gonna be a seriously nasty ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.