PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I do it with Amazon. All throughout the week me and the wife add things to the cart to order on payday. Usually it changes by about 50 percent by order day.

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
I keep running shopping carts at a half dozen different places. Eventually, one of them fills up to the point where I order, and I delete those from the other places. TobaccoPipes is kind of annoying with their 'Hey, you left stuff in your cart' emails.
And sometimes I revisit the cart and think 'wtf were you thinking, you don't need that many tins of Cult', and I empty it. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tidalwave, so much depends on knowing your own consumption. I'm a moderate smoker, a bowl a day with days off, but sometimes a few bowls on weekends. My TAD attacks are comically modest, two or three blends every few months, but I still keep considerably ahead of my consumption. I still dig out blends I don't remember buying. But I have accumulated some good leaf including some Dunhill, McClellan, Seattle Pipe Club, and Lowlands, among others. I'm enjoying a pound bag of D&R Two Timers, much of which I've jarred. And I have some large tins and tubs of blends in case the FDA shuts off the spigot on us. I should probably hoard a tub of Granger, despite it being around for more than a century, in case it gets caught in some regulatory leg-hold trap.

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
Fear of the tap being cut off is what fuels most of my TAD these days. Realistically, the 40+ pounds I have are likely to last me until I die, barring some major advances in longevity in the next two decades. My rule of thumb is I'm trying to get one pound minimum cellared of everything I really like. I'm not optimistic about continued availability of a lot of them.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I delete, many times, the items that I have placed into a cart, when the shipping charges are added onto the order, and almost double or exceed the total price of the items. I very rarely buy impulsively because of ridiculous shipping charges. I can't tell you how many times I bought small items, e.g. pipe-cleaners, packets of tobacco samples, which weigh very little, and they were delivered in an oversize cardboard box, loaded with tons of padding. The point is that the box + all the padding weighed more than what was shipped. I paid for a box that went into the trash. A bubble-padded envelope would've been sufficient, and cost me half the price of that useless box. Nor do I get any shipping choices, except regular handling, or the very expensive shorter-delivery time options.
Now, I rethink most of my online purchases, and only buy what I really need, or can't easily purchase.

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
It's particularly bad if you want to cross the pond. I've got a $250 cart sitting at Estervals because I'm choking on a $50 shipping fee. The costs for shipping between the US and EU have gotten ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.