PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishbriar71

Lurker
Sep 21, 2012
If your basic is in San Diego you need to fill a back pack with 50-60 pounds and find the tallest mountain you can climb and do it over and over again. Make sure you wear some combat boots to get your feet ready, any kind of running shoe is bad, it's a luxury you won't have. I graduated from Parris Island 22 yrs ago and if there was one thing I'd do different to prepare it would be to run in boots all the time. IF you do this the weight will take care of itself. Good Luck.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
everything said has been good advice and makes sense. the big thing i find what works for you. everybody is different. if you cut out pop and beer (i say this as i drink my sam adams octoberfetst...mmmmgood) it will help tremendously. ive currently cut out anything but water and beer. just couldnt give it up. but everything else can go. when i get serious, its 6 small meals a day, nothing but water, and work out 4 days a week and run 7 days a week. when i was deployed i ran a 5K everyday and got my time down to 20 minutes, and im not a runner at all. wish i was still there physically. i could, but when your stateside theres just so many more enjoyable things to do lol.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I will make this real simple . No bread ,taters or sugar . Iam a big camper I weighed 250 coming out of boot camp and you could count my ribs . Now Iam old beat up and have more hardware than your Toyota and struggle with my diet at all times . I have tried every diet there is and that is the only one that works .

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I realize motivation is probably not an issue for a lot of you, but if it is, this is working well for me so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtfJAyjkkGs&feature=relmfu

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
Many good suggestions here.

Buy weights and bench cheap on craigslist. Someone is always selling them. Find a good lifting routine. Keep to the basics. Lots of info here. null
Find out what your maintenance colorie intake is.null

If you are going to exercise more, probably stay at mainenance and you will lose. If you don't lose, eat less.

Eat whole clean foods that total your calories, every 4 hours except for sleeping of course. Lots of water.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Motivation is still an issue for me, but I manage because I've been doing it for about 12 years now. Running and getting to the gym every other day is just routine for me. Sometimes I have to convince myself to drag my butt out of bed, but I always hit my stride and feel good after I go.
My diet has changed to accommodate that lifestyle, so I've all maner of protein mixes, energy bars and vitamins and a regular stash of fruits, yogurt and other good stuff to eat so it's just what's there. We eat out only 1 or 2 days a week and spend the money we save on the good food we like.
I might add, since most of us are male, those of us over 30 should get your testosterone checked. The right levels can do wonders for your energy and limit your reliance on other medicines.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
As one who spent three years training Marine Recruits on Parris Island, I'll tell

Ya', get out and start running, in boots!
(Me in '76)

Family0042.jpg

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
...and, as you're running start singing, "I don't want no teenage queen, I just want my M14..." Or, "Ain't no use in going home, Jody's got your girl and gone, ain't no use in feeling blue, Jody's got your sister too". Songs of joy from days gone by and remembrances of basic training as we marched.
BTW-For the uninitiated, Jody was your backdoor man. He took care of your loved ones while you were away. :D

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I got this in an email from Mike of BriarBlues...only in NY.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/new-york-approves-soda-ban-big-sugary-drinks_n_1880868.html

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
If you're relatively fit and find yourself concerned over fifteen pounds, there really isn't much of a concern there. Fifteen pounds isn't really enough to put your Body Mass Index (BMI) at a point that you should be worried. Clean up your diet (remove junk food); get a health dose of solid protein, good carbs (rice, potatoes, etc) and healthy fats (Olive Oil, almonds) into your system; if you're a sugar hound, choose stevia (Truvia). It's sweeter than sugar and has no calories.
Your boot routine is going to be largely calisthenic. To prep for that and balance that 15 pounds out I recommend doing circuits, a series of intense exercises that are conducted within time limit and then repeated after a short amount of rest. Try to hit all major muscle groups.
Example Circuit

I. Push Ups (Max amount in 1 minute)

15 seconds rest

II. Chin Ups (Max amount in 1 minute)

15 seconds rest

III. Crunches (Max amount in 1 minute)

15 seconds rest

IV. Deep Squats (Max amount in 1 minute)

15 seconds rest

V. High Step Run-in-Place (Knees up to waste, 1 minute)

Rest 2 minutes. Get some water, catch your breath, start it again. Repeat circuit 4-5 times. Five days a week.
This targets both your cardiovascular and muscular strength, mimicking military calisthenics. As your cardio fitness increases, the routine will get easier. When it does, start reducing/dropping rest periods; then start adding exercises to your circuit. Don't be afraid to be creative with the exercises you add. I've had pre-boot clients hold a twenty pound rock in various positions for one minute. It's not easy, but it works.
Hope this helps.
Cajunguy, NSCA-CPT (among other things)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Run three miles wearing combat boots in less than 26 minutes every morning. Get used to it.

You'll lose weight. Gut it out! Just think... you'll be a Marine around the first of April!
A
s one who spent three years training Marine Recruits on Parris Island, I'll tell

Ya', get out and start running, in boots!
this is your best advice.. get yourself a pair of combat boots and start running. don't worry about diet (except junk food and booze) do basic setups, pullups, leg lifts. (oh, if you can do your running in sand that would be better) I still remember getting off the bus in Ft Gordon for basic and to get into the mess hall you had to do 10 pull ups. you would be surprised at the number of guys that couldn't do that. they are the ones that became close friends with the DI's. the DIs will size up the weaker very quickly (mental or physical) and they will concentrate on you.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Since you're getting combat boots, you better learn to shine them too. Your nightly boot polishing ritual is a great way to wind down at the end of the day. You'll be assholes and elbows before dawn so the night before, you want to get those boots ready for inspection! We used to compete with each other on the best spit-shine and I could make my Class A low-quarter shoes look like patent leather.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabQ23zpF8c&feature=related

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Unfortunately shining boots is a thing of the past in the army. with the new ACU's the boots are tan and unshineable. I always loved the look of a nicely shined pair of boots though.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
in a world of shit if they go back to the old boots!
Yeah, shining boots is a thing of the past. I can still hear my drill instructors, "Port side shine em up, starboard side shower up!"
Gunnar, I went through PI in 2000 so things may be a bit different BUT, you will need more mental toughness than anything. Mind over matter, if you don't mind, it won't matter. I second some others' advice. Do interval or circuit training. Google the "Spartacus" workout. It is a very intense circuit workout and I found it in Men's Health Magazine with minimal equipment needed. A couple of dumbells and a pull-up bar. Go to wal mart and get one of those door frame pull up bars. Pull-ups are your money maker and are of utmost importance in the Corps and are your easiest way to get a high PFT score. If you just can't afford any equipment google isometric workout. You will find lots of ideas to get going just using your body weight. You can do a lot of stuff with just a plain old chair. Have fun in the pit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.