PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Allaboutpipes

Lurker
Jul 17, 2022
I will be honest and tell you that I joined this forum to try to find out the value of about 15 pipes that belonged to my dad and granddad (estimated dates 1920s to 1940s). I know that there are two Meerschaum pipes in the collection. The rest are briar (I think).

I am trying to find out a reasonable value for these pipes so that I can sell them and try to make some money for my elderly mom.

I know very little about pipes, but I am the kind of person who likes to research things before selling them.

I wonder if the folks here can help me or if I am stepping out of bounds by asking this question.

If this is the wrong place to be asking, can someone refer me to another objective source to find out value without getting ripped off.

I don’t just want to put these on eBay and see how high they get bid, because I wouldn’t even know where to start the bidding.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
one thing that might give you an idea is to see if you can find recent previous sales of similar pipes (brand, style, and age) for pipes in similar condition. That's one way to get some idea. Though nothing to be considered official going prices. I've seen pipes sell for four or five times what they're worth and more often for a bunch less.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You may benefit from contacting a member here @pipestul who is one of the top and most reputable pipe sellers at eBay. Assuming there is nomenclature that he can use to determine the maker, he could probably give you an idea of what they'll bring mon eBay.

I'd also recommend you consider using Pipestud/Steve to sell your pipes. Yes, you pay his commissions/fees but many, many more people will view your pipes under his listing and he has an impeccable reputation. So they will likely sell for quite a bit more.

Good luck.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
The suggestion of Pipestud is a good one, as is posting a few that you think might be the best ones on this site. Lots of members here are true experts on pipes in general and on specific makers. You also can send them off to Smokingpipes.com to the Estate Department. They will evaluate them and send back an email with what they will pay to buy them from you. The number will be lower than your expectation but Smokingpipes is a leader in this "industry" and virtually every member here does business with them regularly. Like Pipestud, they are known for their honesty and fair dealing. If you don't like the evaluation price they will return the pipes to you at no cost.

one final thought: don't get your hopes too high. Unless your grandfather and dad were people of means or collected really unusual pipes, they probably aren't worth a lot. For example, Unless the meers you mention have a marking from an especially admired carver, are an unusual shape or very ornately carved they probably have relatively minimal present value. Given the time period, you might have some American factory pipes which hold a special place in the hearts of many members here. Good luck to both you and your mom.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
If this is on the up and up, contact @pipestud X 100. I had a very good experience culling my small herd a few months ago. Probably could have done it on here, and may someday with a few, but the process was stress free, I like "easy" and the check was here before the auction was done (okay, that's a bit of hyperbole, but you get what I mean).

Reactions: pipestud