PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2014
Just curious, Gandalf, have you ever actually smoked a pipe before? That probably came out more confrontational than I intended, but it's not something you just pick up a Dunhill and do. It takes practice and it's not for everyone.
It seems like you just want a Dunhill just to HAVE, not necessarily to SMOKE. If that's the case, mission accomplished. If I'm wrong and you're interested in enjoying a good smoke, you would do well to heed the advice already given.
I smoked an old peterson my uncle gave me when i was sixteen and smoked it till i was eighteen when I lost the bloody pipe. I want to start smoking again so i was looking pipe, Specifically dunhill because my grandfather charlie used to smoke one and talk about it all the time. So if i buy a new pipe to smoke i want a dunhill because it will remind me of him (that may seem very strange). Sorry if it may seem a bit weird.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
a used pipe that has been abused beyond the Geneva conventions by a mindless gorilla
-Hey sablebrush show some respect to our pipe smoking ancestors! :lol: Well maybe he was a gorilla but he had good taste in pipes!
Welcome to the forum Gandalf.
So if i buy a new pipe to smoke i want a dunhill because it will remind me of him (that may seem very strange).
That's not strange at all. I like Petersons because that's what my old man smoked. A Peterson was the first serious pipe I bought because of that. Finding a nice Dunhill estate is a waiting game that requires lots of patience but it can be done.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
gandalf:
I think the issue is that it seems you're looking for the cheapest pipe you can find that has "Dunhill" stamped on the shank. I think that's the wrong approach, which is why these first two pipes are in such hopeless shape.
A good, smokeable estate Dunhill is likely going to cost upward of US$100. I've gotten some on eBay for a little less, but that was ten years ago. If you want a Dunhill worth smoking -- and one with a strong likelihood of staying with you the rest of your life -- then you need to be prepared to spend the appropriate amount of cash.
But as others have said: A Dunhill doesn't have to be your first pipe. (And it probably shouldn't be, unless you can find a good one at a crazy-low price.) Since you don't even know if pipe smoking is something you'll commit to, it would make sense to start with a pipe in the $50-75 range. (Yes, you can get a corncob for under $10. They're fine. They're just not something I'd ever praise.) This would be considered a lower-end pipe these days. But with that budget, you can get a smokeable pipe that you can "train" on -- learning how to pack properly, tamp when necessary, smoke slowly, clean and maintain, etc. And with the money you save from not buying a good Dunhill, you could pick up a wide range of tobacco blends to try, so you can figure out what the different styles are like and what your preferences might be.
So: My personal feeling is that if, as a new pipe smoker, you're willing to spend $100 to get started, your money would be much better spent on a less-expensive pipe and a good variety of tobacco blends than on a single pipe that just happens to have "Dunhill" stamped onto it.
For lower-range brands, I've been really pleased with the quality of modern Comoys and Stanwells. In the under-$100 range, I don't believe GBD is a good contender; Peterson is very good, but just hovering around this price point. I've been very surprised at the quality of the Trypis line from Canada, which starts at $35, I think. And there are literally dozens of no-name or house-branded pipes out there for less than $50 that provide a perfectly good smoking experience.
Bob

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Gandalf, I would agree with flmason, if a Dunhill is what you have your mind set on. Sorry about my earlier terse "No!", I had just woken up, and dark have been my dreams of late. I didn't want to see you make a mistake. Luckily, sablebrush52 fleshed things out. Good luck on finding a pipe you like, and welcome to the forum.
Dave

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Gandalf,
I understand the sentimental aspect. If you're buying a Dunhill just to honor your pop, fine, nothing strange about that. If you don't really care whether you take up pipe smoking or not, just want to have a Dunhill then, as Bigvan says, mission accomplished.
If you want to take up pipe smoking and it HAS to be a Dunhill, then be prepared to spend the money for a good restored estate from one of the excellent dealers mentioned above instead of burnt out wrecks that will cause your lips to go gangrenous and to fall off.
Otherwise, buy a less expensive, but still good, pipe, a few cobbs, and explore some tobaccos until you have a good idea of what you like. Then buy a Dunhill and be able to enjoy it.
My apologies to the mindful gorillas. I meant no disrespect.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Gandalf. Welcome to the forum and to pipemania. I love my Dunhill but it took me a bloody long time to get there and it can't be the only pipe I own else I'll just knacker it out through overuse. I worked my way up through Petersons and Stanwells until a) I knew I would stick at pipe smoking and b) my PAD morphed into an obsession with Dunhill and I would have sold my children to own one! The desire to honour your Grandad is a great thing, but I doubt he started with a Dunhill and - as a seasoned pipeman - I'm sure he would have understood your move through other pipes first. Good luck mate and hopefully you have many years of enjoyment ahead!
Andy

Feb 6, 2014
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I'll just start with a corn cob and work my way up. I will still keep searching but i think i will stretch my budget a bit.
Kind regards, Gandalf

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
A very interesting thread on the mystique and allure of a Dunhill pipe. Does anybody not want one? They seem to be very much a right of passage pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.