PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobh

Lurker
Aug 26, 2014
Hi:
New here and hoping I'm posting in the proper forum. If not, my

apologies and will re-direct if need be.
After persuing a number of articles, I can see there are more than

a few experts and am hoping someone might be able to tell me something

about this rather unique stem.
In the midst of moving I found a box of various pipes (Mostly German Porcelain)

that my father had purchased years ago. I've searched everywhere online to find

something similar, to no avail and this is perhaps my last resort unless someone

can direct me to a book, site or other venue?
I'd be very appreciative and hate barging in like this but I truly am at wit's end

after a zillion Google searches.
It's made of wood, no identifying markings and has a flexible, hookah-style hose.
Would be most greatful for any info or tips to find same.
Thanks! Bob
page44.html

bobh

Lurker
Aug 26, 2014
Image links won't work but if you click this link the photos are here:
http://www.toddjohnslaw.com/page44.html
Thanks!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Interesting pipe. It looks like the body of the pipe is either ebony or African Blackwood. Stem is definitely Vulcanite...No guess as to the origin....

I paused before posting this, because you may already know. This looks to be the body of an unusual cavalier pipe with the bowl missing. There were many of these floating about Africa and the Middle East. I'm not sure what the history is, but I've seen old pictures of soldiers smoking something similar.

I hope someone else can fill in the gaps for you.

bobh

Lurker
Aug 26, 2014
Smokey Bear: thanks for info!
Cosmic: I was kind of thinking African because of the "blackwood" or ebony. Mid East makes sense too because of the hookah style hose attached. I'm still digging but comments like these help! Thanks all!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its Middle Eastern and was designed to hold the bowl of a clay pipe or brass rendition of the same. They are very collectable and don't show up very often.

bobh

Lurker
Aug 26, 2014
Condor: Many thanks!! Would you say it's Ebony? African Blackwood? (Or are they one in the same in essence?) Also, any idea of the general time period this was made? Is there a name for such a pipe since it's not necessarily a hookah. Or is it?
Appreciated!

Thanks, Bob

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Whart you have is two parts of a German pipe. Here are two pictured: http://p2.la-img.com/170/23609/8396978_1_l.jpg These vary anywhere from a 10" shank all the way up to the "Regimental" pipes made for WWI soldiers, which had the names of those in your regiment on the bowl and a shank easily three feet long and decorated with turned or carved horn decorations, slices of antler, and wooden baubles with metal ornaments. The pipe shown on the left has a plain wood shank with bark left on, other pipe has a shank made mostly of turned and carved horn, and both have slices of rough antler.
You've got two parts: the tip which would rest on the table or floor, holding both shank and porcelain bowl, and the stem and mouthpiece, with flexible cloth hose. Some shorter pipes had curved, carved mouthpieces, but most longer ones had the yarn, cloth or mohair hose on top. Someone, for some reason, stuck them together. The lower part is probably ebony, and the mouthpiece could be vulcanite or horn.

bobh

Lurker
Aug 26, 2014
Jonas
Jonas
Thank you so much for clarifying this issue.

So it appears that I'm missing the middle section...but...
Upon closer inspection the lower black section has a threaded

section at the top but with smaller threads inside AND larger on the exterior.
I'm thinking that the larger threads were for the middle extension BUT

maybe (and I'm guessing here) if one wanted a shorter pipe, he or she

could merely screw the stem assembly into the smaller interior threads

as it appears now. Ever hear of that?
German for sure huh? A couple accent points on the base definitely add a mideastern look

as does the hose but I'll take your word for it. Would Meershaum have created such a piece?
So early 1900's if for WWI.
Again, thanks for this clarification and anything else you could add.
Bob

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Looks like a German Pipe, missing the bowl and a section of the stem.

The mouthpiece and other fittings look exactly like mine, and mine is stamped Austria.

Should have a porcelain bowl with Wind cap, some sort of painted scene on the front of the bowl.
Tom

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Fascinating! I looked around the web for some and couldn't come up with anything quite like it. This picture from the Amsterdam Pipe Museum has a similarity around the mouthpiece and also construction materials. I plan on visiting this museum in the next two years, so I'll let you know if I find anything else :)
germanpipe_zpseaf3b954.jpg

bobh

Lurker
Aug 26, 2014
Thanks to all for the most singular and valuable info!
I too will continue some research based upon what you

kind folks passed along. If I come up with further details

or info I'll add to the post. I also want to see if this

pipe was designed to handle both a middle section or without.

The double threads I mentioned earlier aroused my curiosity

on that.
Again, thanks gentlemen!
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.