PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
i still say smoke what you get be it cob or basket briar. my first experience was a basket briar nearly a decade ago. Whatever gets you started on the hobby is better than not trying it at all. That being said I can't wait till my duo of diplomats with altadis 965 match sample. The general will wait till spring. Does anyone know what type of wood is the bottom of certain mm cobs? I'd be thrilled if they actually used a piece of briar bottom..dream cob I suppose .

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I believe they just say hardwood, but the MM's I have the wood is hickory judging by the grain. Hickory is a good choice because of how hard it is. I have a custom carved pipe by a local carver that is completely carved of hickory and is a great smoker.

Dec 1, 2010
I have to agree with most of the folks on here, I LOVE the Country Gentalman. I used to own a straight stem until it was broken. I've been meaning to get a new one, but I've not gotten around to it. As to the General, I have one. My suggestion is that you don't hold it into your teeth, as it is very awkward to have in the mouth. The bowl is quite tall and holds a nice amount of tobacco. I would suggest it, but only to fill it partly if you are going to smoke it outside, as it takes a good hour to smoke a full bowl.
TSP

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the comments, jimbo and cortezattic...
I do try to smoke carefully and that will extend to whatever pipe I have in hand.
I have occasionally scouted around eBay in search of briars. Other styles may follow down the road. I'm not averse to an estate pipe at a good deal; however, I lean towards new ones right now simply because used pipes (presumably) have a higher risk of flaws when you don't know what to look out for and also because Canadian shipping is costly. A situation where I required a return would be too expensive. I'll be doing a little reading before I commit to buying a briar. Hopefully I'll get one sometime in January or perhaps for my February birthday instead! I might be brave and get a nice one - we'll see.
Meanwhile, I'll be buying a number of Country Gentlemen to smoke aromatics in, whenever I receive my first 4noggins order. I'm looking forward to it! I'm also curious to contrast the differences I find in smoking a cob versus a briar. It's hard to fully gauge by reading descriptions alone!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Consider a Brigham pipe. I have one and it's a really good smoker. I've heard others praise them too.
Although you appear to live closer to Spain than to Chicago, I believe you can get them locally at HOLY SMOKES, 55 STAVANGER DR., St.John's NL -- which appears to be a B&M only ph: (709)-576-3597.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Cortezattic,

Thanks for looking! If that shop carries Brigham pipes, the clueless store clerk must be the last one to know. I work very close by and it's always the same unhelpful old lady. She's said that they have no pipes whatsoever; if it can be ordered, that's another story. When I asked about ordering in new tobacco, she replied "We only order what Tony thinks will sell" without further comment, which evidently is Borkum Riff Cherry and CBW to the exclusion of all others. They probably have an insane markup anyway, I might be better off buying my pipe from Spain :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I got that address from the Brigham website. I think there are other listings in Newfoundland -- just not St. John's. Any way you look at it, postage is probably cheaper if you stay within Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.