PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipegoat

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Greetings!
My Dad was a big pipe collector but sadly he suddenly passed away last year. :c I have inherited his huge collection of hundreds of pipes.
I am keeping a few for mementos but the rest should go to other collectors who can appreciate them properly. (plus I don't have room for hundreds of pipes!) I am planning to list groups of them on Ebay but I have a total lack of knowledge about pipes. Basically I know nothing about them! I have no idea how to price them, or what to look for in a quality piece, or even how to store them.
I searched online for advise and ran into this great forum! I'm hoping it is okay to run each group by you guys for a general price check and advice before listing them?
Would that be okay to do on this forum? And what section of the forum is most appropriate for that kind of thing?
Please let me know! I would really really appreciate any help! I would at least like to share my Dads collection with people who can really appreciate it and maybe we can even unearth some gems? :)

pipegoat

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
cam00682-600x564.jpg
As an example here is a random batch of Briars I just pulled out. All in used condition.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I would absolutely take Roth's advice here. You will not only end up getting more of the actual worth of each pipe, but any of these guys will be able to properly restore the pipes for the next owner. I think if you really want to give them the best home and get what you need out of the collection that's the best option. Also you could get the ones you are keeping restored.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I think I see some kaywoodies and grabows but I can't tell for sure your better off doing what Roth suggested then you can be 100% sure. It would still be great to see your fathers collection in all it's glory if you care to share it. Best of luck and I am sorry for your loss.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Roth is on the money. Both Mike from Briarblues and Steve Fallon (aka Pipestud) are active members here. Dunno about the others.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Roth has given you very good advice. All of the gentlemen he mentions have impeccable recommendations for honesty and service. I have not dealt with the others directly, but I can vouch personally for Steve Fallon, also known as Pipestud. In my estimation, it is more likely for the moon to fall from the sky than for Steve to ever cheat anyone on a pipe transaction. The man is absolutely solid. He will sell the pipes for you for a small percentage and do ALL of the work. All you have to do is send him the pipes and when he has sold them he will send you a check. The check will be right on the money and it will cash. Because of his reputation, he gets a lot of business and good prices at his sales.
My recommendation of Steve is not meant to demean these other men. I have been buying and selling pipes for more than twenty years and I have never heard a single substantiated claim of any kind of problem with any of them. I simply don't have personal experience with them. I would not hesitate to do business with them for a second, based on their recommendations in the pipe community.

Aug 1, 2012
I have had business dealings with all the men that Roth mentioned except for Mike at Briarblues and I would not hesitate to recommend them. Unless you are willing to do a monumental amount of work (i.e. several months of intense research), selling them yourself without knowledge of what they are is not a good idea.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
What is that metal pipe top left? Looks interesting. Seems your dad preferred straight pipes. :)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Send that one to ejames and have him make you a tamper out of it. I've had him make me 2 out of old ventilators and they are awesome!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Roth has given you very good advice. All of the gentlemen he mentions have impeccable recommendations for honesty and service. I have not dealt with the others directly, but I can vouch personally for Steve Fallon, also known as Pipestud. In my estimation, it is more likely for the moon to fall from the sky than for Steve to ever cheat anyone on a pipe transaction. The man is absolutely solid. He will sell the pipes for you for a small percentage and do ALL of the work. All you have to do is send him the pipes and when he has sold them he will send you a check. The check will be right on the money and it will cash. Because of his reputation, he gets a lot of business and good prices at his sales.
Aww shucks, Joe... you've gone and gotten me to blushin' pardner.
Pipestud

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Some nice looking pipes, the most any of them would cost where I buy my used pipes would be 18-22$ with the majority being 12$. Basically it all comes down to what people are willing to pay. Personally I won't pay more than 22$ for a used pipe, and then it has to be a gem, like the bottom right full bent I'd pay 22$ for, Canadian.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have perused most of the recommended sites mentioned above.
Many of them have representation here on the boards.
I have personally only bought from Marty Pulvers of Pulvers' Briar and I loved both transactions.
I offer this: I am not sure that any one of the sites can process hundreds of pipes quickly. You may want to take some time and call up the guys and then divide up the collection between your top 2-3 candidates.
In the meantime you can list some of them here on briarbid if you want a little extra spending money.
Condolences on your loss. I know it can be difficult dealing with loved one's estates.

pipegoat

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Ohh thank you guys for the great advise! Its really overwhelming to deal with. :c I will contact the fellows you recommended! They sound perfect for the job! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.