PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alibaba

Lurker
Jun 4, 2020
South florida
I have recently started smoking pipes, i used to smoke cigars that used to last at least 90min, i wa looking for a pipe with a bowl so big that it can last at least 2.5-3 hours, i know thia is a very long time and it would probably be vedy rare and hard to find, but please let me know if you know of any, also keep it cheap if possible, And bonus points if it is a churchwarden looking pipe (very long, at least 13”). Thank you in asvance for any help

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
You can get large sized bowls for reasonable prices.

Fill that up with flakes and you’re good for a long time.

Alibaba

Lurker
Jun 4, 2020
South florida
Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur has a pretty deep bowl, long shank, and is not expensive. Couple that with the right tobacco and you’ll be smoking for a while. Plugs, cakes, and dense flakes are your friend.
Well i feel like a crackhead now that i am saying this, but i am using a macarthur and was looking for something that will last almost double rhat time( it lasts about 90min) , let me know of any that you know of, i will definitly look into cakes and flakes, but i would like to know how do you put rhem in a pipe, i know that tou tamp down the shredded tobacco but how do you use flakes or cakes, also if you are able to tell me how flakes and cakes are made ti become a solid piece(any additives?)
Thank you for all this help brother

Alibaba

Lurker
Jun 4, 2020
South florida
You can get large sized bowls for reasonable prices.

Fill that up with flakes and you’re good for a long time.
The pipe you linked was 100$ i was thinking sub 25 maybe if its a churchwarden sub 40$ because i care more about the comfort/ usability of the pipe rather than material/looks, and i was actually looking for somethinf with a bowl that is even larger than linked pipe, almost 1.5-2 times as big,if you still have any siggestions and can help me out i would really appreciate it brother

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have recently started smoking pipes, i used to smoke cigars that used to last at least 90min, i wa looking for a pipe with a bowl so big that it can last at least 2.5-3 hours, i know thia is a very long time and it would probably be vedy rare and hard to find, but please let me know if you know of any, also keep it cheap if possible, And bonus points if it is a churchwarden looking pipe (very long, at least 13”). Thank you in asvance for any help

Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

That's a very long time! If you let the ember die, you can stretch it out all you want!

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well i feel like a crackhead now that i am saying this, but i am using a macarthur and was looking for something that will last almost double rhat time( it lasts about 90min) , let me know of any that you know of, i will definitly look into cakes and flakes, but i would like to know how do you put rhem in a pipe, i know that tou tamp down the shredded tobacco but how do you use flakes or cakes, also if you are able to tell me how flakes and cakes are made ti become a solid piece(any additives?)
Thank you for all this help brother
Plugs are made by stacking whole leaf tobacco in layers and then compressing it over time. You end up with a dense tobacco “lasagna.” If you slice thin slices from the edge of a plug, you get flakes. Cakes are made by taking cut tobacco and compressing it into something that looks kind of like a plug, but can be rubbed out or crumbled into chunks. All of these have less surface area than ribbon, so they smolder at a much slower rate. Think of the plugs, cakes, and flakes as being logs in a campfire as opposed to the ribbon and smaller cuts, which are more like kindling. My analogy may not be the best, but I think it’s appropriate enough to get the point across.
As for preparation, you can cut your own flakes off of a plug with a razor or sharp knife. Once you have a flake, you can either rub it out into strands or fold it. Folding will give you a longer burn time, but usually more relights. Cakes can be crumbled into chunks and loaded up. They’ll also give you a long burn time.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The pipe you linked was 100$ i was thinking sub 25 maybe if its a churchwarden sub 40$ because i care more about the comfort/ usability of the pipe rather than material/looks, and i was actually looking for somethinf with a bowl that is even larger than linked pipe, almost 1.5-2 times as big,if you still have any siggestions and can help me out i would really appreciate it brother
$25 for a 3-4 inch deep bowled pipe?

I’ve never seen such a thing. You might need to buy some materials and make one yourself. Good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was going to mention the Savinelli Hercules series, but someone beat me to it, and it's a good suggestion. However, big bowls are available from many brands and lines -- just shop where they give complete specs on pipes, the depth and diameter of the chamber, but also the weight, length, materials, etc., so you know what you're getting. Surprising how many sites don't. I like churchwardens and have several, but if you are just getting started, you might like (instead or in addition to the 'warden) a regular length big bowl pipe. Remember, big bowls are a little heavier, and a churchwarden stem increases the leverage against your teeth of that added weight, plus you are more tied to staying seated with a 'warden. If I were you, I find a big bowl with a regular length stem and get the 'warden later. I love 'em, but I do smoke them less.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hmmm... I wonder what that pipe is that @chasingembers has....

That one may fit the bill...
You're probably talking about the Moretti magnum. I also have a Dunhill and a Weaver with larger chambers.?

$25 for a 3-4 inch deep chambered pipe?

I’ve never seen such a thing. You might need to buy some materials and make one yourself. Good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Alibaba, it's worth noting, for a really long smoke in whatever big bowl pipe you select, cuts like flake, coin, plug, and rope will considerably lengthen your smoke. I think they smoke longer because the leaf is compacted even when rubbed out and retains more moisture, maybe similar to hardwoods burning longer in the fireplace or wood stove. Beyond that, you can get two of your biggest bowls and pack both of them to extend your pipe smoking pleasure.