PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

qhelms

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
Stopped by the nearest BM today to stock up on tobacco before I get sent off to no tobacco shop land (southern Utah).. anyhow I got some bulk navy flake. Always been curious about it. It had a clean cut hay smell from the jar. I rubbed a bowl out when I got home and put flame to it. Pure magic. It won't replace my favored latakia blends but is a great alternative. Any other flake lovers out there and what are you smoking?

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Hey qhelms!! Yeah I am a fairly new pipe smoker but I was introduced to flakes through the members here. I really enjoy the navy flake, but I gotta say The Peter Stokkebeye Luxury Bullseye flake is one of my favorites. I tried some Orlik Golden Slice and that was pretty yummy as well!!!.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
@qhelms-welcome to the forums and congrats on finding a backup change of pace blend (I have about 15 and still discovering).
+1 on the Peter Stokkebye LBF. I also enjoy Peter Stokkebye LNF, Solani 633 and MacBaren ODF. I have a tin of Orlik Golden Slice that I'm almost ready to crack open.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
All the Virginia and Virginia dominant blends I smoke are flakes. The only non flakes I have in the house are Latakia blends. Well I do have a couple ounces of PS Golden Dansk around here somewhere, but that's the exception and my only "aro".

Not a fan of rum in my tobacco so a lot of Navy flakes are out with me, but flakes in general make me happy.

qhelms

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
It didn't take long to figure out that I like dressing and toppings on my salad and icecream, not my tobacco. I'm not against a little rum but it can't be too heavy handed. This one I found is curious. I detect no rum in the jar but can taste it in the smoke.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not a flake purist but find myself acquiring more and more of them. I really enjoy the concentration of flavors and aroma.
Personally I always have a hard time picking out the rum.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
SG Navy Flake is a really tasty tobacco. It has a little lat in it but not too much. Try that you might like it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Samuel Gawith Best Brown flake is a great middle of the road flake. If you cannot find it at one of our sponsors, JRcigars usually has it in stock. Escudo is a Virginia/Perique flake that I think every pipe smoker should try.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums

Navy Flake is one of my favorites

+1 on the Sam Gawith Navy Flake especially if you're a lover of latakia

and +1 also on Bullseye and Escudo

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
McClelland makes quite a fine Navy Flake. It has a bit of a bite to start but really mellows out and becomes deep and rich. Worth trying out if you are getting into the flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.