PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marpipe

Lurker
Aug 19, 2013
Vancouver
Does anyone buy their tobacco from these smoke shacks rather than ordering from the US? Curious because I've been reading that over 1/2 the tobacco in Ontario is sold illegally, not so prevalent here in the West (BC)
Would be great if they would do mail order - no more worries about duty!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't know about the East, but in Calgary you need a treaty card to really be able to benifit from tobacco prices on the reserve.

That being said, I think it is the Mohawk reserve / nation that grows and processes their own tobacco in both Canada and the USA. So I am sure there is a market there that is just not available else where.

Also, I would assume that the reserves would concentrate on Cigs more than anything, maybe Cigars as well. But for the selection and price on pipe tobacco from places like 4Noggins and SmokingPipes, I would recommend them for your PAD & TAD needs.

Mar 1, 2014
You must personally spend 48 hours outside the country in order to get anything tax free.

I'm fortunate enough to have relatives in the states now, so this gives me a good excuse to go visit.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I think it is a real shame that you can't get good tobacco in Canada without jumping through hoops and paying so much. I expect the next wave in the US will be even worse as do-gooders will try to push Washington state's model of absolute prohibition of mailing tobacco products. That's by far the greatest threat, not the FDA regs everyone is talking about right now. Those are just going to be an inconvenience in comparison.
That said, I have now mentally given these threads a name in my head: "The bi-monthly Canadian Narc Thread."
"How do you get Tobacco in Canada and not pay the Duty"
"Oh, you order from XXX and they 'have their ways', wink-wink, nudge-nudge"
"DUUUUUUUUDE!!!! STFU!!!!"
"What? Huh?"
Until the next one . . .

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
first of all it is ALL dutyable unless you visit usa for a short time whatever - PERIOD - sometimes if you are lucky it gets thru other times we pay - thats the way it is - when you are lucky shut up - when you pay its still cheaper than canadian retail -
interesting - when people figure out how ro cheat on tax returns they shut up ... when people figure out how to cheat on exams they shut up ...

- why cant canadian pipe smokers follow suit ??
questions ?? - read older posts - do a search
soooooooo finally everyone should SHUT UP - do everyone a favour.
happy piping

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't know what the issue is. We are not breaking any laws, and we are not discussing way to cheat the system. If anything, we encourage people to work within the system and to play by the "rules".

Now, Dred's comment is very valid in that this topic is discussed every 1 - 2 months. But thinking that these threads will bring a stop to international shipping of pipe tobacco doesn't make sense to me.

I can't help but think that if the government felt they were losing money by allowing pipe tobacco to be mailed, they would put a stop to it as they have with Cigs. Fortunately, they have not made that decesion yet so let's enjoy it while we can.

Finally, a simple Google search on importing tobacco to Canada does not bring up any discussions on this board, other than a 2 year old rant. So unless people know about this site, they are not going to stumble onto these threads. Also, threads like this are a big help for beginners, not to learn to cheat the system, but just to help them understand how it works.

Just my 3 cents.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
So, I filed/applied for a refund as it was under 200 grams and it is my understanding that under 200 grams should be duty-free.
The decision is pending but I expect to get the duty and the handling back but I suspect that they will keep the tax.

No point in filing for a refund, there's no duty free amount in the mail. You have to pay the duty ($6 something per 50grams, then the 10$ fee for assesment, and then there's the pst/hst plus a per gram amount on the tobacco that can range from something like 15 cents to 30 cents a gram on top of the duty and pst/hst depending on what province it is. I do agree though alot of the canadian pipers are their own worst enemies. Technically you're supposed to contact customs and pay the charges ahead of time, this is all detailed in the rules and etc... on the box you check when you order online. Alot of cigar websites require this and for you to send a copy of you paying the duty plus taxes and all fees ahead of time before they'll ship to you, so keep at it guys, with this Goverment in power their trying to grab as much money in taxable income as possible, so yeah it's like cheating on your tax return and then bragging about it on a public forum. And the Native smoke shacks that just set up and start selling cigs tax free are breaking the law and get raided eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.