PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
With a company having bought the tobacco side of Nat Sherman, I understand their cigars will return under new brand names, and their pipes might come in the future. Has anybody heard about whether any of their no-additives cigarettes, especially ones like Fantasia or Black & Gold, might return?

Alternately, anywhere I could dig up some Sobranie? I used to occasionally find Black Russians and Cocktail, their version of Nat's Fantasia, on the 'Bay, and would buy them, but haven't for several years (these are no longer Russian, the cigarettes are made in Ukraine!)

Reactions: anotherbob and kxra

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I've heard the same thing but I don't know why they wouldn't use the iconic brand name they bought. Michael Herklots released a few of the former Nat Sherman cigar brands last year. We carried one size of Epoca, Timeless and Metropolitan in the shop. None of them were in "my" prefered size but I smoked and enjoyed them all.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

virginiapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Virginia
I've heard the same thing but I don't know why they wouldn't use the iconic brand name they bought. Michael Herklots released a few of the former Nat Sherman cigar brands last year. We carried one size of Epoca, Timeless and Metropolitan in the shop. None of them were in "my" prefered size but I smoked and enjoyed them all.
They didn’t purchase the Nat Sherman name, just the cigar and pipe brand names. Altria still owns the Nat Sherman name and cigarette brands, although many of those cigarette brands remain mothballed.

For more information: Michael Herklots, Brendon Scott Acquire Nat Sherman International Brands - https://halfwheel.com/michael-herklots-brendan-scott-acquire-nat-sherman-international-brands/385926/

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
LoL Yes, obviously Michael Herklots did not buy Nat Sherman but Altria/Phillip Morris did so why wouldn’t they stick with an iconic name like Nat Sherman for their Cigarette’s? I thought the whole deal was about acquiring a big name premium cigarette brand to compete with Dunhill.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I wouldn't mind getting a hold of the non-additive cigarettes. My wife has been in mourning ever since they discontinued Davidoff cigarettes in the U.S.

kxra

Lurker
Oct 31, 2022
I am way behind the times. I just went to a shop to pick up some Black & Golds and Fantasias for old times sake. Found out they've long since gone the way of the dodo.

Are there any brands that are at least similar? Bonus points for similarly pretty designs, of course

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I liked their Nat Sherman 536 English blend with burley as a condiment and Virginia as the base. It hasn't been re-issued, but was one of the most refined English blends I've tried, by my lights. I enjoyed a visit to their big 42nd Street store when they were in full bloom, and I sat down in a rocker and enjoyed my first bowl of 536 bought in bulk.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I use to enjoy going to Nat Sherman in NYC. Free samples of cigarettes.

And the best slogan “I don’t smoke cigarettes, I smoke Nat Sherman’s”

kxra

Lurker
Oct 31, 2022
I believe there as still some Dunhill luxury cigarettes on the market along with some others. Google "luxury cigarettes."

Thanks! I see now OP mentioned Sobranie, which it looks like I can get duty free at the airport soon, hopefully.

Has anyone tried ORIS Panda Black?

Reactions: anotherbob