PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Could have been made by anyone, of course, but it does look a lot like a pipe Dave Neeb @mkelaw fashioned for me a few years ago in terms of the lines/look. I'm not much for paying attention to the wood, but that is really something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elric and scloyd

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Someone who was definitely motivated and went for "the current style" a few years ago (I'd guess early-mid teens).

The bowl shaping and 80%-finished button---as well as the curved "Butera like" design of it---suggest his reach exceeded his grasp somewhat at that point in time. He'd probably been carving a year or so.

I'd also guess American or Canadisian.

Being unstamped could mean it was kept as a shop pipe because of a flaw and didn't want any bad press down the line, quality wise. (Which would also indicate he was serious)

It'll be fun to see if the Whodunit gets solved.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
@alaskanpiper
Do you still have the Alaskan Pipe Club going? The sticker is holding up quite well on the back of our camper.
Yes sir! In a bit of a lull now due to the ongoing bogus shutdown of the lounge that was our meeting location, but were still at it. Meeting in my garage lately with the few guys that are local to my area.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Someone who was definitely motivated and went for "the current style" a few years ago (I'd guess early-mid teens).

The bowl shaping and 80%-finished button---as well as the curved "Butera like" design of it---suggest his reach exceeded his grasp somewhat at that point in time. He'd probably been carving a year or so.

I'd also guess American or Canadisian.

Being unstamped could mean it was kept as a shop pipe because of a flaw and didn't want any bad press down the line, quality wise. (Which would also indicate he was serious)

It'll be fun to see if the Whodunit gets solved.
What needs to be done for the other 20%?

Reactions: Chalaw87 and SBC

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Out of interest, where did you get it?

A complete shot in the dark, but could it be a JS (Joel Shapiro) pipe? He made that style of bit, had wooden inserts in stems, and had some nice grained briar. Mine at least has a narrow shank and a forward canted bowl. Mine has a much lower and narrower bit.

(Sorry for the oxidation!):
17044904058536206784527933752032.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Out of interest, where did you get it?

A complete shot in the dark, but could it be a JS (Joel Shapiro) pipe? He made that style of bit, had wooden inserts in stems, and had some nice grained briar. Mine at least has a narrow shank and a forward canted bowl. Mine has a much lower and narrower bit.

(Sorry for the oxidation!):
View attachment 277249
SP estates.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Remove it.

Lots of guys like the elegant look and feel of the "curved shield" button, and a fair chunk of them give it a go on their early pipes.

Virtually none of them do it for long, though, because it's a tricky PITA to get spot-on, looks bad/obvious when you don't get it spot-on, and requires considerable shop time that you don't get paid for. (A "normal" button will sell for the same price.)

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 3.43.26 PM.png

With the surplus 20% removed:

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 3.42.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 3.41.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 3.39.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 3.39.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 3.39.59 PM.png

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Interesting. I definitely prefer them this way myself. The curved shield that is, not the 80, or 100, or whatever. Never have really noted that.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Interesting. I definitely prefer them this way myself. The curved shield that is...

Mike Butera stuck with it for his entire career (though the depth of the curve varied a bit as he got older). If his pipes have not been on your acquisition radar, there you go.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Mike Butera stuck with it for his entire career (though the depth of the curve varied a bit as he got older). If his pipes have not been on your acquisition radar, there you go.
Haha, well aware of Mike's pipes, but most of the ones that become available are either too large for me, or not really my style. I always look, but have yet to buy.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since you like 'em, the next time you commission a pipe request a Butera-style shield button.

(Your mouth will love you, but the pipemaker will probably flip you off when your back is turned for the rest of his days.) rotf

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Since you like 'em, the next time you commission a pipe request a Butera-style shield button.

(Your mouth will love you, but the pipemaker will probably flip you off when your back is turned for the rest of his days.) rotf
Haha, I have quite a few already from various artisans that have similar buttons.