PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Instead of rules, call them "three friendly pointers." See, it changes the whole thing. To our amazement, diction (word choice) matters.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
Some great rules and commandments! Ya see, you can teach an old dog new tricks!
Dan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, mandates and commands punishable under pipe law. That'll win 'em over.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One of the attributes of many pipe smokers is their abhorrence of “rules”.
Balanced by the dogmatic smokers who will insist that it is "their way or ... the highway" regarding how to achieve a satisfactory bowl. Pipe smoking seems to have more than it's fair share of self-appointed arbiters.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here are my rules.
Never load a pipe with dry tobacco as it burns hot and has no flavor.

Never pack a pipe too loosely as it will burn hot and lose flavor.

Always check the draw before lighting and look for the resistance that I know works best for me.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think in general, smoking drier, packing lighter, tamping lighter, smoking slower and puffing shorter and slower work well. My primary rule though is to enjoy smoking my pipe. Each bowl of tobacco you load is slightly different. Every bowl size/shape/depth is different. The temperature and humidity varies. My palate and mood vary. There are enough things I do in life that have relatively hard and fast rules. No way I stick to a bunch of stupid rules when doing something for pleasure.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One little problem: No one knows what dry or moist tobacco is, in terms of another smoker. In terms of a given tin. In terms of ambient humidity. There are methods, but that requires arcane equipment, such as a five dollar hygrometer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Of course. Same with most smokers who have experience. But it's of little use to convey to others what level of moisture there is. (Not just you; everyone.) The advice of making a ball of it and see how/if it re-expands is useful, but rudimentary.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My immutable pipe rule. Is it's for enjoyment if ritualizing the perfect smoke is enjoyment for you do that. If dumping dripping wet tobacco into a pipe and using a blow torch is enjoyable for you do that. But knowing a little about how a pipe works might just make it more fun if you don't get bogged down with it.

szconrad

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
Totally agree with those points. I often find myself packing more tobacco into the bowl, thinking that packing more will mean a longer smoke. That's never been the case. To really enjoy the flavors of the blend, pack lightly!

Status
Not open for further replies.