PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
My Thanksgiving Day began with me waking up early that morning and going to work. Sure no one should have to work on that day, but at least I get paid time and a half plus an extra days pay for it. So I'm thankful for that. And I'm thankful for a job. I had no place else to be anyway, so it's ok. My mother and father, along with my sister and brother in law and his parents and my brother were in south Texas camping somewhere anyway. The lady and I haven't been talking much except in argument lately... we seem to be on the break. So I wouldn't have been seeing her either... a shame... she loves the smell of latakia... and I love her truly. While at work, a grocery store where I work in the butcher block, we were quite busy as you can imagine. Everyone on the planet was coming in to get last minute items and things they had forgotten and needed for their Thanksgiving Dinners. Often times on busy days you get quite a few customers who hate the world and hate you even more. But the customers were mostly quite pleasant, and for that I am Thankful. There is a homeless man that hangs around in the area that I talk to quite often, named Tony. Aside from how he chooses to live his life, he's a descent guy. And he does indeed choose to live his life the way he does. He has told me he doesn't like the responsibility of having to take care of a home, or pay rent, bills, taxes, groceries.... whatever else. He's been offered chances at employment by a few people and even a place to stay upon being hired, but he turns them down. He's diabetic as well and has had paramedics called for him numerous times when he was going into diabetic shock and needed insulin. Sometimes, someone is able to get him some orange juice and a candy bar to help him out before it gets too bad and he'll be ok. Well he was in that state Thanksgiving day, and incoherent and stumbling around the store, running into things and nearly taking out a few wine displays and other things, when I and a coworker had to get him outside because customers were sort of freaking out, thinking he was drunk and dangerous or something. We got him outside where of course he finally stumbled to the point where he fell down. Of course another coworker was calling for paramedics while me and my other coworker rolled him over and helped him sit up. He's a big guy and quite heavy, but as we held him up I was able to pour orange juice in his mouth and get him drinking. Finally the paramedics showed up and took over. I put Tony's bicycle and bucket of clothes in the back of the store until he could come and get them. Which he did, shortly after. After getting insulin and resting a bit in the back of the ambulance he was much better. As happens sometimes, the paramedics gave him a bit of cash to get some food in him. Some day I fear he's going to be somewhere no one sees him, where he'll go into diabetic shock, pass out and never wake up. He's not a bad guy... but I'm thankful that I don't choose to live as he does, and I'm thankful I've been spared that fate as I have come close to being homeless before. I'm thankful I have a job, and I'm thankful I WANT a job, and I'm thankful I have a roof and four walls to go home to. So... once my day was done, I purchased my Thanksgiving Dinner before heading home. I'm sure I could have gotten something a little nicer, but chose to save, and it was dinner for one anyway so I opted for hot dogs. Maybe it wasn't much, but it was food in my belly and I'm thankful for that. I ate my dinner under a roof with walls with electricity and heat and I'm thankful for that. I'm thankful that God reminded me, that there are others worse off than me, whether they choose it or not. I'm thankful for a soft bed, and thankful for my pipes... something that gives me comfort. I'm thankful for life.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
We all could learn from this write up. Go to work, it is what a man does. If the world had more people who ate hotdogs and appreciated them then it would be a far better place. Honestly I have been down lately. Reasons you don't know and I won't waste you're time with. This hit home for whatever reason and put some things in prospective for me. Silly website post, but thank you and God bless.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
anthony, good for you to help the troubled guy with diabetes. It sounds like he is really struggling in life. I hope things get

better between you and your woman friend. Stay well.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Anthony - Thanks for that slice of your day. I suppose its the little things - that aren't so little, in the grand scheme of things - that we should be most grateful for. I too try to find happiness in the simple pleasures of life. And I suppose that's where the pipe comes in.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Anthony, I am sorry to hear about the rough patch with your lady. Here's hoping things take a turn for the better for you both. Thank you for your thoughtful post. It's good to be reminded every now and then about the things we all have to be thankful for.
from one Anthony to another...

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks everyone. Dervis, I'm glad I was able to help with whatever your dealing with... even if by accident. God bless to you as well.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Thank you, Anthony, for your very special post.
That writeup put everything into perspective for a lot of us.
You're a good man and, FWIW, I admire you and the way you conduct your life.
Fnord

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks Anthony...your post expressed sincerity and compassion. Those traits are not in abundance these days...but in the end, it’s only those kind of things that matter. Our consciousness is the only thing we ever really own, and the only thing we take with us when we leave this plane.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks Bradley. Although I'm not really a young man anymore. I'll be 40 in March. In a way I'm actually looking forward to that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Anthony, great post and thanks for writing it. When we put things in perspective it is amazing at how grateful we can become for what we have. We see people who have it much worse than we do and it does make what ever we happen to be going through at the time seem inconsequential. I hope things work out with your lady and the relationship gets back to where you want it to be.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Thank you, Anthony, for your wonderful piece--especially about being thankful for life itself. It has its ups and downs, but at least we're here to savor it. Thanks so much for sharing. You gave us all a lot to reflect on.

Status
Not open for further replies.