PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
This post comes off the thread on FVF and I figured it should have its own thread. Some flake is ready to go out of the tin, but should still breathe, but this is about the big 3 from SG.
FVF, BBF and SJF all get the same treatment. First you got to let it breathe, it needs to rest a while. If you have tins, pop them and jar it. Bulk you should already have it in a 32oz laying on its side. Give at least a few days. Then this is how I’ve found to get the “perfect cube”. If you’re rubbing out a plank then buy AK or 2015 and triple stuff a bowl like I do, or find something else to rub out. You want to smoke cubes that are prepared and bowled perfect to get the best it can be, and that’s frackin awesome.
I take my time and usually cut two flakes at a time, even if I’m cutting eight. Six inch planks I cut in half and put one on top the other. BBF, FVF and SJF I cut 1/4" slices, so you have four strips. Then cut them as close to square as I can. I use a glass plate and spread them out none on top of another. I know the flake and soon you will too, just by looking you’ll know when it’s ready. If not you can give it a light pinch test they should all far apart with a little “ting” sound on the plate. Look at them; they should be light on the outside and darker in the middle. Now it’s time to stabilize the flake not smoke it. Smoking it now causes most problems people have with flake. I use an empty tin and put them all in there, spread out. You can tighten the lid or not, it doesn’t matter there’s enough oxygen to finish the curing. Let it sit overnight, a day or more. This allows the moisture inside to work its way out and leaves the flake equal but not too dry.
TAP don’t pack the bowl, again causes many problems with people and flake. Drop the flakes in to the top and start tapping the bowl. They will work themselves down almost halfway. Fill it again and TAP, at this point check your draw. Should be smooth, if not dump it out and start over. You should now have a 3/4 filled bowl of flake. Back to the tin and tilt it to one side and tap it, now tilt the other way and move the flake to the other side. Around the rim are small pieces of flake and kindling. Top the bowl off with this and give a light press, check the draw. Unlike other tobacco you don’t want resistance. Now give it a char, then a light tamp to straighten it. With the true light and a regular puff rate you should never have to relight or tamp. The flake is burning true with all the flavors released as intended, no steam or swelling clogging the bowl. When you get to the end the flavors will have remained the same and you’ll know it’s done because the smoke has stopped. Turn it over in the ashtray and a nice finished ball of ash should fall.
Why all the work? The perfect flake bowl, ribbon is for wrapping gifts.
Craig

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I've just been trying my hand at flakes. I have had two bowls of Dunhill Flake so far. I really love this tobacco and the flavors that I never saw when smoking aromatics. I have been cube cutting the flake, but after reading this I realize I have a lot to learn. Have you any experience with DF and if so, do you suggest similar methods as you have covered here?

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I too have just tried a flake, first time last week, I've been just folding and found that a single slice fits perfect into my Leonessa and burns pretty well.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks Roth!
I have been cube cutting it to approximately the size you've described here, so that is a positive. Haven't tried the drop feed w/ kindling sprinkles though, that surely be included in my next bowl. I appreciate the wisdom.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Well I've been doing the fold and stuff for Bob's Chocolate Flake and Escudo, think I'll try this method nect time and see if I notice a difference. Thanks for the info Craig

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Dunhill Flake and especially Escudo are examples of flake that’s almost always ready right out of the tin. After a week or so you run the risk of them drying out, and eventually losing flavor. Storing those is a different subject. DF and Escudo are on the top 10 of many VA smokers list. Escudo was really meant to be folded and stuffed, cutting it just leaves you pieces to gather. So I just fold and stuff mine. DF has always been on the dryer side, and cut thinner, really doesn’t gain from curing it. I just cut DF, give it a few minutes and smoke it. Curing is just something I called it, not that any real biological action has time to take place. Having a small and even dispersal of liquid with a chance to open up and burn evenly, releasing all the flavors right to the end.
I just found that with the “wetter” flake like SG’s need more work and care to really get the most out of them. I read so much about problems people have with these, and I want people to well…Try it this way. You’ve nothing to lose and you’ll see why people love flake, and it’s not been enjoyable for you. Flake is not putting the pipe in the pouch and filling it up, or your basic three stage fill, if it were only that easy. But if done right, you’ll be a fan.
Craig

Jul 15, 2011
I have come to find that I like my full on flake tobaccos broken up to "broken flake" kind of consistency. To achieve this, I just take a flake or two, rip it into strips, then ball it up and kind of ruffle it with my fingertips until I get broken flake pieces. It offers an easier pack and the same slow, cool burn that you get from a full flake, I just find it to be a lot more manageable.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
I appreciate your input, but I think that flakes are initially intended for smoking folded and stuffed. Everything else is particularly harmful se smoking misconduct. 8)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There are many different ways to smoke flake. Everyone needs to find the method that works best for them. I am partial to "fold and stuff" myself. I do let my SG flakes dry out, however, both BBF and Balkan Flake.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Rothnh, I have had limited enjoyment out of my Wessex Burley Slices so far, do you cube cut those as well? I may give that a go this weekend to see if it improves the taste.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
One of these days, I'll get around to experimenting with cutting and fold-and-stuff... but until I get a better handle on packing in general, I'll stick with rubbing out. I've only tried PS Luxury Bullseye Flake so far, but I've got 3 other flake samples in storage for future experimentation... :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My method for packing flakes is a bit different. I will gravity feed the cubed flakes to the top and lightly press it down. I then gravity feed more and then again lightly press it down. Next level I gravity feed more and really press it down pretty hard. This is when I check the draw and look for a little resistance, once I see how much resistance I have then I put more in and really stand on it and then check it again looking for the final amount of resistance that I like. What the first two fills does is create a barrier of looseness followed by the upper level of hard packed flake. This gives me a very good draw and I get a very cool and flavorful smoke.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Im currently smoking Orlik GS, after trying this method for the first time. I think I need practice....but it tastes great!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Seems like a lot of work. I have smoked Dunhill's Virginia flake and Sam Gawith's Full Virginia flake for a long time. The reason to keep the flakes intact is for the flavor. Granted FVF takes some drying time. However, I believe that folding or crumbling flakes does the trick while still maintaining the flavor. If you almost cube flakes you may consider ribbon cut Virginias.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
So true Roth. There’s tons of VA’s and Vapers out there chopped, hacked and spun into confetti. The flake adds to the Zen of pipe smoking ;) Patience young grasshoppers and find the inner peace. Haha!
Oh Harris you did leave out the part on your post where you cut up the flakes and put them in a jar. Catching up to you old farts, 53 today *sigh*. No Honey pipe or Rad lols, but I did square off four blocks of briar today and sketching some shapes. Should be smoking at least one this weekend.
Craig

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Craig, Happy Birthday buddy, still a kid at 53. I have never cut up my flakes and put them in a jar, I only cube before drying and smoking. I am so lazy the thought of cutting an entire tin at one time makes me cringe. lol

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I m smoking ABF while reading your post guys. DF,ABF and (I just tried it last week) FVF are my very favorite smokes so far. I agree that preparation of FVF seems a little bit more troublesome, but totally worth it.
Going back to ABF today I decided to rub it out. It is smoking in this case just as fantastic as usually.
Puffs,

Status
Not open for further replies.