PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Dcrguns , good looking kid . Congrats on him attending NMMI . Great institution . I live just 30 mins away over in Artesia ,NM .

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks Irish. Just got back from Roswell dropping him off from Thanksgiving break. He only has 2 1/2 weeks left in this semester then Christmas break.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Ok, get to gloat a little and an update.
This is my son after attending NMMI for his fourth (Senior) year. This is at his ring ceremony this past weekend. He has done well at NMMI. He is First Sargent of his troop and Battalion Commander of the Mustang JROTC battalion. He has a 3.85 gpa and scored a 32 on his ACT and has received numerous awards for service and leadership. He is wanting to go to a military academy and we are working on his nominations and applications. Very proud of him and hard to believe he is in his fourth year there.
img_0517-450x600.jpg

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks, ashdigger
Thanks, Brad. That is special praise coming from you. I know you know the sacrifices that parents make for their kids aren't always easy. I appreciate it!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Outstanding!
Congratulations to this fine young man. You have every reason to be proud.
Your son would do well at any of the service academies but if they don't pan out - bearing in mind they have gender and race requirements - don't overlook the fallback schools for young people desiring a short or long term military career: Norwich has a proud history of producing big gun - stationary and tracked - officers. The Citadel and VMI grads will always get noticed as will students coming out of top ranked state schools with strong ROTC backgrounds. My son, A KU Marine, was impressed by the young and men and women from the University of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas, Iowa, Ohio and, surprising to me, the California schools. (The Canoe U. grads from Annapolis didn't even register in the top ten with his The Basic School class.)
Cheers to your son, Dcrguns. Please don't wait so long between posts when it comes to him.
Fnord

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Don't forget to fill out applications for the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. The Coast Guard is a multi-mission service which has fought in every way since 1790. Main missions of the Coast Guard today are saving lives, marine environmental protection, port security, military readiness and law enforcement.
Acceptance into the Coast Guard Academy is by application only where the other service academy have congressional appointments.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks guys and yes, I am truly blessed in many ways! We are keeping all of the options open for the time being. He is hoping for a service academy but knows he will be at the bottom of the list being a WASP male. He is considering all the schools and is already checking out the ROTC schools and the Coast Guard. Lots to consider in these next few months. How it all works out, will determine his near future and he is aware of it. I will keep you posted in the weeks and months to come. Thanks again for all your well wishes!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
He is too late for applying this year for the Coast Guard Academy apparently. Here's some info

http://www.cga.edu/admissions2.aspx?id=63

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Yea, NMMI has a direct line with the Coast Guard Academy. He is in the pipeline with them at this time. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.