PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I was near Columbia, TN for work this week so I obviously had to pay a visit to the Briarworks factory. I've loved their pipes online, and I was foolishly hoping that they wouldn't be as nice in person so I wouldn't be hopelessly tempted to buy one on the spot. Boy, was I wrong! Their pipes look way nicer in real life. They have about 100 hanging on the shop wall, and then I got to go around back and they have about 400-500 more! That's where I found this little gem...
a9261bb4-17ce-4862-8bac-9d1fd6990c20-600x433.jpg

1988ebb6-8174-4bcf-9b1d-2ef8b01823c8-600x419.jpg

c3484596-3f19-40cc-becc-4cf296f61938-600x581.jpg

c81837c3-3e83-45dd-ac4e-abfbbedf878f-450x600.jpg

The C61 straight Dublin with light stain and tortoise shell acrylic stem. You can tell that love and care went into making their pipes. The craftsmanship is flawless, no fills, smokes perfectly, etc. The pictures don't accurately convey how slight and nimble this thing is, it's fairly shockingly compact but the bowl is generous. The sad thing is, this isn't even close to the best looking grain they had in that back room. I'm in love with this pipe and it will not be my last Briarworks.
If you're in middle Tennessee, do yourself a favor and go see these guys. Pete (El Presidente) shot the shit with me for quite a while and Sam took me to the back and let me paw through all of their pipes to find the one I wanted. These guys are super cool and incredibly gracious and welcoming. They're a small group of folks doing big things and their pipes are really nice. They also had quite the selection of hard to find tobaccos from Dunhill, Rattrays, pretty sure I saw some Esoterica back there... They've got loads of good stuff. Give them a visit, you will not be disappointed!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah,the days of PAD and TAD....don't miss them one bit. You did do right grabbing that dublin though. Lovely grain and nice coloring. :clap:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, Embers! I was really looking for a yellow stem but this color is quite understated and classic. They said if you don’t see what you want they can likely make it for you. I might have to order another one of these little Dublin’s with dark stain and yellow stem! What a pair they would make.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Good looking pipe. I am going to do my best to stop in there when I make my next trip from Indianapolis to Birmingham. I have one of their pipes and have been quite happy with it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice looking pipe. You recently picked up a Peterson with a yellow stem, right? I too, like yellow stems. The Savinelli Miele, The Chacom Renard, Peterson Rosslare, Peterson Cara Honey.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Nice score! I grew up near Columbia, and I love me some Briarworks pipes. I also have a C61, but it's a sandblast.
You're right about it being a surprisingly compact pipe, but I've never been dissatisfied by the bowl capacity. I do find the stem a touch chunky for easy clenching, so I'm planning to buy a saddle bit pipe from them sooner than later.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
scloyd, I did indeed! I’m a bit obsessed with yellow stems, it seems. Can’t get enough of them. And Hap, a saddle bit would be nice! Haven’t tried to clench this, I tend to hold my straight pipes. I will say this little thing warms up pretty quickly, I’m hoping with some cake buildup it will be less prone to getting hot. Only smoked 2 bowls out of it so far.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Glad to hear it! I don’t think any of my pipes have much cake buildup yet, I wouldn’t know the glory of a well broken in pipe. I guess I need to smoke more! I just enjoyed my first taste of Hearth & Home BlackHouse out of this Briarworks and man is that a good blend. I’m sure I’ll smoke the hell out of it and break this in pretty quickly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beautiful birdseye on that one, and I like its trim design and nicely balanced proportions.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Beautiful pipe!
I'm going to have to look at them closer. I don't have an American made pipe in my collection. Yet...

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Holy cow does that briar grain pop - I love it! What a score. That’s a gorgeous pipe.
May you smoke it in good health and in good times.
(I’m not terribly far from Colombia, TN. That pipe has got me wanting to take a field trip.)

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
odobenus and diamondback, go visit these nice folks! You won’t be disappointed. Nicest dudes I’ve ever talked to, amazing selection of pipes and premium tobacco, and their humidor is growing as well. Oh, and they have great beers on tap. So you have no excuse, go see them and get an awesome pipe!

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I will get down there someday for sure. Looking forward to it. For now, though, I'll make do with my Moonshine morta Devil Anse, which they made, and which I love.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Love all my Briarworks. Great pipes regardless of the price but it's nice that they don't break the bank as well. All mine are sandblasted and rusticated but that is some lovely grain on yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.