PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I know there are some members here who dabble in blending their own tobaccos, and even a few master blenders here who do it for a living. For the rest of us, I suppose there's a much easier way to do it.... er.... have someone do it for us. So I've been wanting to try this for a while now, and finally got around to it with an order I put in at Pipesandcigars this evening. I finally created and ordered My Own Blend. I am quite impressed with how simple they make it, as well as a brief explanation about the the different tobaccos and suggestions on how well they pair with other tobaccos. Even more impressive is you can name your blend and save it on your account at Pipesandcigars.com and quickly and easily order it again in the future. What I think could be better is more options to choose from, and the ability to add more than just 4 tobaccos.
There are 10 base components which include... Perique, Latakia, Yellow Virginia, Red Virginia, Toasted Burley, White Burley, Oriental, Dark Fired Kentucky, Black Cavendish, and Toasted Black Cavendish. This gives you plenty of room to create your own VaPer, English, Balkan, Burley or etc blend.
There are also 10 flavored components so you can make one heck of an aromatic if you so decided. And there are three Seasonal components. Of which I'm not sure why they have to be seasonal. Why not just make them a permanent option?
You must order a minimum of 8 ounces. I'm sure there's a reason for this, and I'm going to bet it's because it's easier to mix 8 ounces of tobacco than it is to mix 2. So I'm totally fine with the minimum 8.
And I'm sure you have to like to gamble a little.... I have no idea how my mixture of 4 different tobaccos is going to turn out. I might like it, or I might hate it. And spending 60 dollars a pound, you have to hope you like it if indeed you order that much or more. I opted for the 8 ounce minimum. So it's bit of a pricey bet. But I look at it like this. This is a custom blend made for me by someone else. Of course it's going to be a bit pricey. I can live with it.... while hoping my tobacco blend doesn't suck. Please lord, let my tobacco be awesome.
I really like the concept of My Own Blend. I just wish I could add a bit more than just four components. I can add yellow virginia, red virginia, white burley, and black cavendish in a number of different ounces per each component. However, if I decided I wanted to add some rum flavoring to the mix I'd have to get rid of one of my original 4 components. If I wanted to add rum and maple, I'd have to get rid of two or my original 4 components. This is where it gets to be a bit of a bummer.
I still think it's a cool concept and worth trying. So I put in my first order for this today. I named mine Valley Of Dragons, taken from a book I'm writing. And it consists of mostly yellow virginia followed by toasted cavendish, and just a pinch of dark fired kentucky and latakia. I figure I'll either like it or I won't. I'll let you all know when I've received it and smoked the first bowl. :D
Who else has tried this, and channeled their inner Russ Oulette? And what are your thoughts?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I saw that they do that. Personally I'd rather buy the different tobaccos and blend it myself. I have a mixture of several blends that has been sitting in a jar since the beginning of December

2013. It's my first attempt at blending

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sounds interesting. Sounds like it could be really good for a change of pace. What's the ETA?
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have those components lying around somewhere Might have to try it. What's the proportion of Latakia and Kentucky dark fired?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have been planning an aromatic blend. Russ does provide much information for novices like myself. Will post it up when I do it. Please get us some feedback on the Valley of Dragon's blend. Still working on a name for mine.

Jan 8, 2013
First we saw the line of Tony pipes with sausage links for grades. Now we have a new line of tobaccos in its infancy, and, by the way, we are informed of a new book coming out. Next there will be Tony's personal blends of tea and maybe some homemade wine. It is plain to see that the grocery store will soon be losing a food expert and the world will be gaining a different kind of purveyor. Will we see the Tony line of pipes and tobaccos at P&C? Is this the Mike Butera of the current generation? Will Tony be relocating to Bethlehem, PA? Keep your eyes facing the Eastern night sky for a new star and three venture capitalists (McClellan, Cornell & Diehl, Sutliff?) flying in private jets. In years to come when Tony has the time to make a rare post, we will smile and say, "I knew him when" and check our wallets to see if we can afford to buy any of Tony's products.
:rofl: I also like writing and recording music :D I could only hope I could ever go so far though, Gigger. In fact, I'd be happy to just be able to give up the daily grocery store grind to be able to make a similar amount of money doing something I really enjoy. Be that writing, perhaps making pipes in the future, or both. Who knows? I haven't worked on the book in quite some time, but I'm about to get back to it.
Send me a PM if you're interested, Gigger, and I'll send you a link to what I've written so far. I have the first draft online at 22 chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.