PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
So I know it isn't a Falcon or Viking, but I found a metal frame pipe on eBay as I was scrolling this morning. For 16.00$ it wasn't a bad grab. I have plans to clean it up, probably refinish the bowl or just clean it up. Anyway, it's called an Arcadia Stirling. Apprarently from the research I could find it was an interchangeable bowl metal pipe similar to Viking and Falcon started around 1940. Both Viking and Falcon bowls fit nicely as per the advertising. I figured for 16$, what the heck? Anyone else have any info or comments on the pipe? Don't worry I don't take any offense if you find a flaw or think it was a bad purchase, it's all just info I can use for next time. Plus it seemed to be a pipe that I just don't see many of, so it's seems unique. Feel free to comment.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111631734752

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I like the style. Should clean up nicely. Seems like a great find/deal.The bowl is in good shape and should clean-up like new. Learn something new everyday here, I have never seen that brand before. Good for you.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My only concern is with the possibility of the draw tube's material. If it's aluminum, I'd want to think carefully about smoking it until I made sure that corrosion was not problematic. It might be that the draw tube is made from stainless steel and the body made from cast aluminum?

Definitely looks like it made for some good smokes in its day.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
joshb83:
Here is a link (Arcadia Air-Cooled Pipe) to the British Smoking Metal Website, and which has information about your estate piece. Interestingly this is a filter-style pipe.
The oxidation on the aluminum body should be easily removed using Simichrome Polish. Just be certain to thoroughly wash it with soap and hot water afterward to remove any trace of that product.
I hope that you find this information to be helpful.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Huntertrw, thanks for the info. It'll be a good read as soon as I get a chance. I'll be sure to post resto pictures when I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.