My New Gabrieli Bulldog Has Arrived! (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Cheers guys! Mr Jones - while I appreciate the gesture, it's exactly what you washed your hands in that worries me!
Andy

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For your information Mr. Fnord (if that IS your real name), I have not been officially diagnosed yet. So lay off the name calling until tomorrow, when the padded van is scheduled to arrive for me.
And I wasn't going to share this, but now that there's rumors going around that the LVPC is somehow unsanitary, well, here we are, in preparation for inspecting Dan's handy work:
ealthSci_2013_1_1_38_113562_u3-vi.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The shank is reminiscent of Tseuge Ikebana. The pipe looks like a bull dog interpretation, not a classically formed bulldog which attracts the eye to its unique lines while the natural like finish displays the gorgeous straight grain and the stem work is nice contrast and an elegant addition. (Thanks,eh? for stating the obvious?)

Enjoy! Nice pipe!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Very nice Bulldog, love the colour. why do all bulldog's have the hallmark of two bevels around the bowl instead of a single or three or even something different. I have noticed this with all Bulldogs regadless of design or manufacturers.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
toby, those 2 rings around the bowl were for clamping while the shank is being formed. I understand that the French makers developed that technique and it has withstood time and become a traditional trademark of the bulldog style.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is the bulldog I had Dan Chlebove make for me last year and the model for Andy's new pipe. It is a tad larger, which I really like. Dan had me measure my pipe 6 times so he could nail the shape of Andy's. I'd say he did one better for Andy.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks again for the kind words, guys.
Further to John's response re the two rings around the bowl, I was always led to believe that the reason the tradition persisted is that they help to cool the bowl, although if that were true I think we would see them on other shapes, as well. And BTW it was the beauty of John's pipe that made me (I had no choice!) ask Dan at Gabrieli to create a variation on the theme.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.