PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Alright, you've convinced me. Next time I place an order at MM, I'll pick up the Danish bits and give them a try.
The forever stem option does pique my interest, but do you outfit all of your cobs with one, or just by a few and swap them out? Seems like it might get expensive to outfit them all with a forever stem.
@mso, I have never really seen cobs as disposable, myself either. I rather enjoy them. I have a Charles Towne Cobbler as well and just finished a lovely bowl of BF in it. The top does show a little char already, but I really don't mind. Although I did get bit by a mosquito the other night on the back porch and my lighter burned a small divot on the inside edge. All good, just adds character. My only issue with the Cobbler was that it won't pass a cleaner while lit. There is a slight dip under the top side of the button that won't let a cleaner pass. Not sure if that's design, of if it's a mistake. It won't pass it through from the bottom of the stem to the bit either, just hit the back of that dip.
20180621_143437-600x291.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have a few Forever Stems, and they are very comfortable. However, the draft hole in them is waaay smaller than in a stock MM stem, which changes the way the pipe smokes. So, I actually switched to Danish bits after giving Forever Stems a try. I still use them, but only after a fair amount of work with a 5/32" drill bit and needle files. A cob is like a diesel; in order to smoke like it should, it needs to breathe more than a briar.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I like to mud my cobs, especially when there is a larger gap between the shank extension and the hardwood plug. Sure, it works itself out eventually, but I'd rather have that void filled with pipe mud instead of unburnt tobacco. It also helps the shank extension into the bowl maintain it's integrity and not burn away. To me, it tastes better and is easier to clean and maintain when that void is filled. And it turns into a rock. The only downside is it does add some weight, which doesn't bother me at all.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Appreciate the post ... I’ve been on the fence about picking up the 7-day seconds from MM to keep around for trying new blends or giving away to friends as a kit with golf tee and sampler (ahhhh, being an enabler is so rewarding :mrgreen:)
I would have ordered the same bits you did, so saved me some cash. Plz let us know how you like those danish bits

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@kickinbears, I would totally get a set. I highly recommend them. I personally will be using them in a rotation, since I don't really have too many pipes as it is currently, but as I go along I'll likely pick up another bag for kicks and for the same reasons as you. I'm not sure when I'll buy the danish bits, since for just a few I'd pay more in shipping than for the bits. I'll wait until maybe they have more tobacco in stock that I want to try and maybe another of their line cobs. Really wouldn't mind having the Cobbitt set they have. At a little over $50, you get a pretty good deal by buying all 3 in the set. When I get some of the bits, I'll let you know how they work, if you haven't gotten any by then.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Congrats on your MM cob haul !
I have several Forever Stems and think they're outstanding. I don't use a filter with my MM cobs & find the draw a bit too open when I smoke them without one installed. You can switch your Forever stems among your MM cobs that can accommodate filters. The Forever stem does not accept a filter.
Last night I smoked a Country Gentleman unfinished cob with a vulcanite Forever stem. It smokes as well as any pipe I have, including some much higher cost briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.