PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Made a post in my previous thread (possibly goin to London and Dublin), but thought it would be appropriate to dedicate a thread to the visit.
Hey chaps!! Little update here in London England.
Been a very busy day sightseeing all of london. Seen many many very interesting and historical places.
I got a chance to visit a few pipe shops. J.J. Fox and Davidoff.
I had a great experience at J.J. Fox. I swapped some of my Boswell Chocolate Cream, which they LOVED!! They said they have never smelt a more chocolaty tobacco ever!! +1 for Boswell!! The chocolate blend they had, they didn't like. They gave me a sample, and it's very much like Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake, More Lats then chocolate, actually, can barely smell the chocolate. I have them a few bowls worth, and gave them Boswells info to them. They were extremely pleased with my visit. I even showed them my Brigham, and Blatter & Blatter pipe, which he also loved (blatter & Blatter). They gave me a nice baggie (about 30-50g's) of his own hand blended tobacco, which smells great, I'm going to smoke a bowl of it right after this! haha. They also have me an Amaretto, and rum & maple broken flake bulk blend to sample as well. I also picked up a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, and thier own house blend called "The Banker", it's got some lat, cigar leaf, and virginias i believe. I forgot some of the info on the blends, as I had so much to soak in today. I made a video of my visit to J.J. Fox, you can check my youtube channel for the video. J.J. Fox is a must visit!! Oh, you can smoke in there, but only hand rolled cigars. Very nice aroma.
Davidoff was also pretty good. Probably not as friendly as J.J. Fox, but very nice and pleasant to deal with none the less. I also gave the guy (who smokes pipes) some of Boswells Chocolate cream, and he also was very impredded with the intensity of the chocolate. He wanted to light a bowl then and there, but he already had his break, and there is no smoking allowed. I decided to buy a London made pipe, can't recall the name hahaha, but starts with a "C" maybe "Ca" hahaha. Anyways, it's made IN London, and is the Trafalgar model, which is especially cool, since i'm staying in Trafalgar Square. Cost about 69pounds, so about $100, but the sentimental value is much higher. It's got some weird marking and numbering, which i'll have to look up when i get a chance. I also got a tin of Peterson Nutty sopmething or another. haha again, i've seen, heard and soaked in so much today, it's hard to take it all in.
I didn't see Dunhill, altho, i did totally forget to even look it up (sorry Kevin). I did see a few Dunhills at the two shops i stopped at, but too much for my wallet.
I'm off to Dublin of saturday, and i'll hopefully get a chance to make it to Petersons, maybe go on the factory tour if they have it.
Since arriving monday morning, I've seen about a half dozen pipe smokers walking the streets, or driving. Thats half a dozen more i've seen in the 6 months i've started back home.

Again, check out my video of J.J. Fox!!! Very very nice place to visit!!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Wouldn't kill ya to post the video.... *ahem*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5IyF-QbJ4&list=UUNR-2rjCQiD2MM2SIBm_EKA&index=1&feature=plcp

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the updates ! Looks like you're having a nice trip.
In Dublin, don't forget to swing by James Fox ;-)
Have fun, drink a Murphy's for me. Or if you're really feeling like splurging, have a Middleton !

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Sorry, the pics are in a huge file I'll have to sort through. Will take quite a bit of time. But tue video pretty much sums it up.
Thanks for embedding the video! Can't figure out how to do that on my phone lol.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
here are a few pics

AndrewLondon584.jpg

AndrewLondon585.jpg

AndrewLondon586.jpg

AndrewLondon587.jpg

AndrewLondon588.jpg

AndrewLondon594.jpg

AndrewLondon599.jpg

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Al- I'll try to get there Friday, but it's by appointment only, so it may be too short of a notice. No promises, but I will try!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very nice...thanks for sharing...hope you had a wonderful trip.
And my "retort" to the asinine, so-called "health warning" they're forced to deface the tobacco tins with is:
TYRANNY SERIOUSLY HARMS YOU AND OTHERS AROUND YOU.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks guys!
Unfortunately, when I called around this morning, it turns out the museum was closed in 2007. They said the store had very few pieces left over from the museum. I didn't have time to go to the store, as I went to the Natural history and Science museum as well as Camden markets.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Interesting pictures and video -thank you for sharing. That Charatan is a beauty and a great souvenir.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks chaps!
BTW, that was the chair of Sir Winston Churchill.
I didn't take too many detailed pictures because I want people to go there in person, not virtually lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.