PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
You're lumping in suicides in that number which is almost 20k. How many people killed themselves in their car? You should be comparing the non suicide numbers which is 11078 compared to the drunk deaths of 10,228.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
But it's absurd to see that cars (not drunk drivers) kill more people on average by over 400% and yet car makers never hear a peep..

Wow, you must be young. You obviously don't remember Unsafe at Any Speed and the huge furor about auto safety in the 1960s.

Generally they talk about car safety in deaths per 100 million miles traveled. That has been decreasing steadily since 1920. Cars are much safer than they used to be. Transportation Safety (Yeah, it's Wikipedia, but it's solidly referenced.)

And remember, cars have a purpose other than killing things.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
@Jud LOL busted.. the 60's were before my time..I do know that car makers get regulations passed down on them like airbags, seat belts. Didn't mean to ruffle any feather's..

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You're lumping in suicides in that number which is almost 20k. How many people killed themselves in their car? You should be comparing the non suicide numbers which is 11078 compared to the drunk deaths of 10,228.
I did. I gave the number of drunk driving deaths, then the number of firearm homicides. Then I mentioned all causes of gun death and compared that to the total number of auto fatalities. Firearm homicides exceeds drunk driving deaths, contrary to Zonomo's statement. Total auto deaths exceeds total firearm deaths, but the former has been steadily decreasing while the latter has been increasing. Traffic Fatalities NHTSA

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I own alot of guns and am about to get my CCW but it wouldn't bother me to take my gun off to go in a establishment.Who knows why that person doesn't want guns in his shop and plus we need to keep the baccy shops going when we have one close by. All of shops for me are a good hike from where I live.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I don't have a carry permit, but I think I would be very wary of leaving a loaded firearm in the car while I stopped into a store. What if somebody steals the car? Now he's got a car and a loaded gun. Might be a bit of worrying, but I always tend to prepare for the worst, consider all scenarios

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's a slippery slope, after the Boston marathon incident, I don't think I'll be able to carry my concealed pressure cooker any more, or nails for various construction projects I plan on doing. Seriously, come to my city, Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, we've been the murder capitol of Canada for the last 10 years almost. Pretty much all gun violence happens from gang members carrying concealed weapons, and we don't even have the right to bear arms. Gun control in my opinion is hitting the target at least 9 out of 10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.