PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was looking thru an old remembrance magazine for my community and I spotted this ad:

20221203_124814.jpgI

I posted the ad to a local historical Facebook group and found out some information. The shop was owned by a Max Shellman, he did his own blends, sold Peterson, Jobey, GBD.

Like others, he did his own blends, and told his regulars that he would take his blends to his grave and apparently he did just that.
He apparently used Lane tobaccos, and even provided his blends to regulars after the shop closed (mid 1980's).
Salt & Pepper
P2
Bacchus

I was too young to have gone into the shop- but I do remember the 6' Cigar Store Indian he put out every day.
Another person in the Facebook page found some old articles from our newspaper about the shop.

It looks and sounds like it would have been a great shop to visit.

The_Smoke_Shop_Hagerstown_1973.jpg
The_Smoke_Shop_Hagerstown_1974.jpg
The_Smoke_Shop_Hagerstown_1976.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
While I understand the concept of taking recipes to the grave as a line cook for 18 years, I also find the practice supersillious at times.

It's very hard to recreate something the exact same way (even if it is just Lane tobacco's) and people are lazy. Even so, sharing after you close or before you die would help cement your legacy (possibly for some monetary gain when you need it in retirement).

Regardless, it's a very cool find and I am glad you were able to get some more background on the Shop. I enjoy history in general and learning about things like this.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great commemoration of a classic pipe and cigar shop. There's one like this in Raleigh, N.C., Pipes by George, with wide plank floors, a wall of pipes, bulk tobacco jars, a walk-in humidor, a dart board, and an old fashioned mechanical cash register.

There was a similar pipe shop in my hometown of Park Ridge, Illinois, the Park Ridge Pipe Shop, just outside Chicago on the commuter railroad line, that had a resident artisan pipe carver and a wide array of pipes and blends. It closed maybe fifty years ago, so it is well in the past.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
What a great commemoration of a classic pipe and cigar shop. There's one like this in Raleigh, N.C., Pipes by George, with wide plank floors, a wall of pipes, bulk tobacco jars, a walk-in humidor, a dart board, and an old fashioned mechanical cash register.

There was a similar pipe shop in my hometown of Park Ridge, Illinois, the Park Ridge Pipe Shop, just outside Chicago on the commuter railroad line, that had a resident artisan pipe carver and a wide array of pipes and blends. It closed maybe fifty years ago, so it is well in the past.

+1 for Pipes by George! My Wife is a professional Cellist who plays with a contemporary ensemble out of Chapel Hill, I always stop in when I come to town for her concerts and make a purchase and chat with George. Great shop!

There was a shop on Maryland Ave in downtown Annapolis MD, where I bought my first pipe right when I turned 18. It's long gone and I've missed it dearly. I've heard various stories about why the owner closed it but I guess like many old shops it's all history now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, I've often wondered why tobacconists traditionally had a (usually life size) statue of a Native American holding a pipe outside their door, what are the origins of this?

Regards,

Jay

Here's some info Jay, a history I was largely unaware of myself:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
+1 for Pipes by George! My Wife is a professional Cellist who plays with a contemporary ensemble out of Chapel Hill, I always stop in when I come to town for her concerts and make a purchase and chat with George. Great shop!

There was a shop on Maryland Ave in downtown Annapolis MD, where I bought my first pipe right when I turned 18. It's long gone and I've missed it dearly. I've heard various stories about why the owner closed it but I guess like many old shops it's all history now.
Ah, yes, the Smoke Shop Annapolis. The two Brits who owned it were getting older, and when Maryland bumped their tobacco tax to over 30% (2015 or so?), they closed the shop. Two wonderful gents. They had a filing cabinet filled with pipe brand catalogs dating back to the 50's. I always wonder what happened to that tobaciannia. We were in Annapolis on Saturday, the old shop is now a spa....which made me sad.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Ah, yes, the Smoke Shop Annapolis. The two Brits who owned it were getting older, and when Maryland bumped their tobacco tax to over 30% (2015 or so?), they closed the shop. Two wonderful gents. They had a filing cabinet filled with pipe brand catalogs dating back to the 50's. I always wonder what happened to that tobaciannia. We were in Annapolis on Saturday, the old shop is now a spa....which made me sad.

Yes, I remember them being great, I think it was Francis and I can't remember his son's name. They let me put that pipe on layaway for a few weeks, and the shop was always very welcoming to a young newbie, with none of that glaring and "what do you know kid?" attitude. I too let out a sigh when I pass it these days.

Reactions: beargreasediet
Jan 27, 2020
I was looking thru an old remembrance magazine for my community and I spotted this ad:

View attachment 185275I

I posted the ad to a local historical Facebook group and found out some information. The shop was owned by a Max Shellman, he did his own blends, sold Peterson, Jobey, GBD.

Like others, he did his own blends, and told his regulars that he would take his blends to his grave and apparently he did just that.
He apparently used Lane tobaccos, and even provided his blends to regulars after the shop closed (mid 1980's).
Salt & Pepper
P2
Bacchus

I was too young to have gone into the shop- but I do remember the 6' Cigar Store Indian he put out every day.
Another person in the Facebook page found some old articles from our newspaper about the shop.

It looks and sounds like it would have been a great shop to visit.

View attachment 185276
View attachment 185277
View attachment 185278
That first ad has such a great minimal graphic design which you just don't seem much of anymore.