PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wolf- You can't go too far wrong for $13, but I don't care for most multi-tooled things, except my army knife. A tamper is not a bad thing on a butane, but I prefer the room to be used to store fuel.
If you at all fancy it, go for it and then review it here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Diff strokes, diff folks. I really don't like Zippos for lighting my pipes. For nostalgia, for that satisfying click, for the connection with military, yes, but just not for me and my pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I mentioned that 100 butanes for 15$ I got. Only one broke, so far. However, I read the posts on lighters vs matches and so I use my lighters to light a wooden skewer to light my pipe.
A lot of extra steps! Can you direct me to that post? It's just wrong. All you need do is hold the flame further away from the tobacco. Then you'll get the cooler lighting flame. And save some wood!

poppabear

Lurker
Aug 6, 2017
I have a Jetline pipe lighter with the multi tools on board. It lasts about 2 days before it needs to be refilled... its large and heavy so it doesn't travel well. but it is nice to have the tamper and lighter all together...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
David:
Can you find the post(s) you referenced?
However, I read the posts on lighters vs matches and so I use my lighters to light a wooden skewer to light my pipe.
And a couple other guys promised updates and/or photos.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
JPM: Nice group of lighters!

I have always loved the bic, and keep them on hand. That being said, I absolutely love my Peterson pipe lighter.

I haven't bought any of these Linse lighters yet, but they are about $2 each and people seem to like them.

xjcAOEx.gif

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, blue. I've come to dislike the directional tubes on lighters. You want to pull the flame to the tobacco, not blast it on.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also have a lighter fetish. When I was a cigar smoker I began collecting Dupont lighters and then when I began smoking pipes I began collecting pipe lighters. Here is my collection as it stands today.

In the first pic from left to right I have a Dupont table lighter, next is a Ligne 2 cigar lighter with twin jets, next is another Ligne 2 with twin jets, next is a diamond cut single jet, next is a green lacquer single, next is a Davidoff pipe lighter and the last is my first IM Corona Old Boy in briar.

lighters-600x450.jpg

I also have 2 of the IM Corona Pipemaster. I thought I lost my first so had to buy another. I ended up finding my first. This is the lighter I use most of the time. I love it and it has a large fuel capacity and a longer tamper than the standard Old Boys.

lt2.jpg

I have this IM Corona Old Boy Chrome Pinstripe that I bought from someone on this site, I can't remember who though.

lt3.jpg

I also have a Zippo pipe lighter that I use when smoking outside which is not that often. I am not crazy about it as I have trouble controlling the flame. I also found out that Zippo flints are for the birds. I bought some for the Zippo lighter and the things are so soft that they angle badly making them kind of useless. I have found that the IM Corona flints work so much better and last much longer than the Zippo flints.

Reactions: magnumsmoker
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
That briar Old Boy is gorgeous! I've had my Kiribi for only a few months, but it's been fantastic. It's the first butane pipe lighter I've had that has a consistent flame. It even works well immediately after refilling. I bought 5 of the Linse lighters and keep one in the car, one in the garage, and another in my cigar lounge locker as backups. They seem fine, but I haven't used them often. Most of the complaints I've read have been concerning the small fuel capacity.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I too have a Kiribi, which I like, but don't love. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the angle of the flame that ends up giving me rim darkening whenever I use it. It seems to shoot straight up in the air as opposed to a true side angle flame.
In the meantime, I use Bics for my beater pipes (mainly used for lunting), but recently purchased a Vertigo Maximus as well as a Lotus Gaucho lighter. Both are push-button ignition sources, not flint, but I have been getting greater success when it comes to an even, all-around light without rim charring. Quality seems consistent with their price points, but for looks and feel, the Kiribi wins hands down.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I hold the Old Boy parallel to the ground, and just draw the flame to the top of the tobacco. Just hold it a bit higher above your rim. (And my girl friend says my rims are great!)

Status
Not open for further replies.