PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Holy Moses, Harris
That looks like one fine pipe. The weight is right, the finish looks excellent.
It is gorgeous.
Got to know how it smokes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys.
The pipe arrived just a little while ago so I of course lit it up. I loaded it with Astleys no 44 Dark Flake and here are my impressions. The pipe is very comfortable to clench, the stem is nice and thin and the button is comfortable but just a tad less pronounced than my Rads. I am splitting hairs but the Rad stems are a tad more comfortable to my teeth, but certainly this pipe is right up there stem wise. The pipe is smoking nice and cool and very dry, I have not needed a pipe cleaner at all for moisture. The pipe was reamed so I will have to build up the cake which will I am sure make it smoke even better. I am down to the last third of the bowl and the pipe has not gotten very warm at all which is great considering there is no cake in it. It is definitely going to be a favorite in the collection and I am very glad I purchased it. Now does it smoke better than my Rad's or other American artisan pipes, no, it does smoke as well though. I definitely consider it to be one of my better estate scores considering what I paid. I will definitely add more to the collection if I find one in my price range.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks Chris, you are going to need to add a Tonni to your collection, really nice quality. I was pretty amazed at how cool it smoked with no cake in it. His shaping and balance is also top notch. It definitely reminded me of the Formers I used to own.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Tonni is simply one of the best carvers in the world. He live in Kentucky most of the time, but summers in Denmark. He attends quite a few of the major pipe shows. I have three of his pipes and they are magnificent. One of them is a cavalier that is just the cat's meow.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Another Tonni, also from Dave Neeb, this one a blasted dark billiard panel with boxwood ferrule that holds a lot of tobacco for it's 28 grams weight, $295
That pipe is actually 57 grams.
kc, I would love to see pics of your Tonni's. Why don't you post them here.
I suck at camera work but I will try to do that. All three of mine will strongly remind you of yours as the are very straightforward black blasts.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Harris, I missed the update to this. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new pipe.
I don't own a RAD (yet), but I'm wondering how they compare in terms of draft-hole diameter and airflow. Are they similar?
Again, congrats on finding a new avenue for spending money on pipes adding to your collection. :mrgreen:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitch, the Tonni is very similar to the Rad in terms of draft hole diameter and air flow. I really could not tell if there is any difference. It smokes like a Rad in that it will smoke itself. If I had to guess it would be right around 4mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.