PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Awesome post and awesome information! I book marked it so I can refer to it.

Many thanks!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Shikano, why not go one better and have a go yourself then post pictures for us all to see? It really is not too difficult, just be sure to work slowly and always have an eye on the cutter/bur that you are using.
I would suggest you practice first on an old duffer of a pipe rather than a favourite.
Regards,
Jay.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Jay, I will give that a whirl? Any chance you could post pictures of the Dremel bit you used? I have a Dremel tool but I don't have the proper bit from the sounds of it.

Dec 3, 2015
I'd like to see a youtube video of how you do your rustications, I'd like to give it a try but don't know where to start.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Shikano, I will post some pictures of the cutters I use tomorrow (my main PC is now shut down) but they are pretty basic circular burs.
Killercham, funny you should mention that. I did think about asking a pal to film me doing the rustication for Youtube. Maybe I should get my finger out.
Regards,
Jay.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ejames, today I attempted to replicate your 'string' pattern with a reverse cone bur and the result was hopeless. I used the bottom only as you suggested and found that the bur wanted to 'track' into the previously cut line. Any further guidance would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Jay.
I missed this post of yours somehow Jay. Sorry 'bout that. Do you mean the dark stained pipe I posted above when you say "string pattern" ? If so I did use a tiny reverse taper bur but not the bottom of it. Used just the widest part of the taper to make the cut. When I do one of those I first use a pencil to draw out the pattern on the bowl just to get an idea of the best pattern to make. I have found another bur that should work better for this type of rustication called a knife edge bur--looks like these--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HH-BURS-KNIFE-EDGE-CUT-LENTIL-BUR-CHANNEL-SETTING-Set-0-9-2-3mm-SWISS-MAILLEFER-/200801945870

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pieces-Knife-Edge-Burs-0-9-5-0MM-009-050-Swiss-Made-Fig-HH-Dentsply-Maillefer-/391011302492?var=&hash=item99c1e2c205

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ejames, do those bur sets work in a regular Dremel?

I have the 3000
Yes,they will work in any Dremel if you have the correct size collet. Those in both of the Ebay listing I posted would need a 3/32" collet.
Here's a set of collets that would fit just about any bur you would want to use in a Dremel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DREMEL-Quick-Change-Collet-Nut-Set-/281897368599?hash=item41a2647c17:g:-RwAAOSwSdZWg-1-

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Shikano, here is a typical round bur tool for rusticating. They come in various sizes and of course the size of bur determines the pattern given.
There are many tools that fit the Dremel that are suitable for rusticating, each giving a different pattern as can be seen with Ejames' efforts. I have heard of some folks using a broken drill bit for rusticating!
One other tip I would offer is to buy the Dremel keyless chuck, then you can do away with the various size collets required for certain tools. Also changing tools is that much quicker with a keyless chuck.
Ejames, the pattern I was most impressed with was the one on the white stemmed pipe. Those 'knife' burs look like they would do the trick so I will hasten to Amazon to seek them out, many thanks for mentioning them.
Regards,
Jay.
dremel-bur-round-1-075-600x393.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ejames, I just looked into those knife burs and got a shock. I can only find one supplier for the UK and he is asking £6.30 per bur + £15.60 for delivery. That is a total of £21.90 or in your money $32.02 just for a single bur!!!
I think I might just have to do without :(
Regards,
Jay.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Jay, thank you for the information. I actually picked up a few of those tools yesterday.

The Dremel tool I have does have the keyless chuck feature.

Take care man and keep on posting the great work!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ejames, I just looked into those knife burs and got a shock. I can only find one supplier for the UK and he is asking £6.30 per bur + £15.60 for delivery. That is a total of £21.90 or in your money $32.02 just for a single bur!!!
I think I might just have to do without [:(]
Regards,
Jay.
Jay,both of those sellers for the Ebay listings I posted will ship to the UK.

velotrain

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2016
Jay -
> The second pipe, a French Endale arrived here needing much work. It was though it had been used as a hammer at some stage in its life so bad were the dents.
I'm curious about this one - couldn't you have also removed a certain amount of the surface to make it a reborn smooth pipe?
Charles

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Velotrain, the pipe in question had some seriously deep indentations and scratches so rustication was my only option. Besides, I love rusticating and have rather too many smooth pipes :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.