PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
I got my order in the mail yesterday, and now I'm thinking I should have gotten more than one.
before-2-600x404.jpg

This being my first pipe making experience, I now realize that power tools of some kind may come in handy in the future. All I had was a couple files, a coping saw and sand paper. So to say the least my arm is pretty tired.
after-3-600x400.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow! That's really great James. :clap:

It looks like you removed everything that wasn't a pipe, which is Uncle Arthur's approach. :lol:

Congratulations. It'll be interesting to see what your next creation will be.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
Thank you. And I really enjoy Uncle Arthur shape, I just can't wait to see how it smokes.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
That's an amazing first attempt! A disk or belt sander with several grits of abrasive will speed things amazingly. I use the pad for a 5 inch orbital sander with velcro backed disks , mounted in my lathe. You cn mount the same set up in a variable speed drill. A hunk of heavy wood and an aeroseal clamp will secure it to your bench.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
I'll have to try that next time, all by hand really takes a loooong time.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The PIMO book has a lot of ideas for working with less than a full shop.

http://www.pimopipecraft.com/book.html

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
Thank you Mr. Arthur, that's actually where I got some the other supplies from, I might just have to pick that up with my next order. :D

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
Seems so, I put the order in on Sunday and was very pleasantly surprised to find it waiting in the mailbox yesterday after work. Probably going to put in another tonight if the Misses doesn't disagree...

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
That would be great, I've seen the collection you posted and was simply fascinated, but alas, like the reason this site is alive, pipe smokers are few and far between.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Nice pipe James. I commend you on the ability to do it without powered assistance. The one I tried that way still looks like a tree root.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
Thanks guys, just got back in from its trial run and it does, got to spend about an hour watching the lightning roll in with a bowl full of dansik black (I think it's a black and vanilla cavendish, bulk stuff from the local B&M).

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Great job! Rasps.files and sandpaper is what I use also,although I did finally get a band saw which makes quick work of the excess briar!

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Very nice pipe, and with a coping saw, files and sandpaper ? Wow!! Bet your arm IS tired.
What part of the country do you live ?

Status
Not open for further replies.