My First Briar Cracks Where the Stem Fits the Bowl...How to Repair?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Wojtek Pastuch Pipes
3 Fresh Adam Davidson Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Micah Redmond Pipes
12 Fresh White Elephant Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennings

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
OK, rookie question...probably oft asked...feel free to help direct me to other threads...
I have come across my first briar pipe which needs more than a clean, polish and buff this time. This one is a bent briar with vulcanite mouthpiece (9mm filter type), and there are splits in the briar stem part of the bowl where the mouthpiece friction fits in. The usual stress area! Luckily the pipe has a metal collar so it's not yet visible, and nothing's fallen off.
Do I just try to force glue into the cracks inside and out, then glue the collar in place for support? And what type of glues are best for this kind of issue?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I'm not sure about the glue, may work though. I can't say I haven't wanted to do the same to my favorite pipe with the same problem. I've just been extra extra careful since I've noticed. But many would probably say to send it out and have it banded. They do there thing (maybe glue it up a little) and then heat a metal band and wrap it tightly around the affected area.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Not to sure cause i cant see it but its likely that the collar is there for that specific reason. the collar/band is the way to repair a crack in the shank.
Was this purchased new or is it an estate?
Does the band look original?
And can you post some pictures?

jennings

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
It's an estate pipe, and the band looks to have been in place a while from the discolouration of the briar. However it's not a tight fitting band, and does slip off easily. The pipe's simply marked "made in London", and the band has a letter-based logo on it. I quite fancy having a go at making the crack stable myself, as the pipe was a cheapy from the auction site.

IMAG1235.jpg
IMAG1236.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cracked-peterson-restoration-pics
Yep that's a repair band. I've had good luck using briar dust from previous restore jobs and superglue on cracked briar. Use something small like a dental pick to pack the crack, then a layer of glue on top. Sand it down and stain it if you like.
Here's a link of my first attempt and what the crack willl look like unstained. I'm honestly not sure what to use to glue the band back on but I'd think you'd be okay with superglue. I did a Dunhill with cracked shank this summer and you can barely tell, so practice makes perfect. I know one of these guys can give you some better advice on fitting bands then me.
Let use know how you make out!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Those kind of cracks generally happen when the stem is separated from the pipe (and put back together) while warm. Learned that the hard way, long before forums like this existed!
Mike S.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I once had a brand new Savinelli come like that, at this point I would get it professionally repaired if I cared about the pipe, if not, I'd just superglue the band back on and forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.