PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I really don't understand why this is considered an aromatic. If this is an aromatic than wouldn't all the other lightly topped VA's be considered aromatics as well? They're not though, so why Royal Yacht? Orlik Golden Slice, Reiner Long Golden Flake, Peterson University Flake... The list can go on and on and I find some of those blends listed are heavier flavored than Royal Yacht is. So yeah, calling Royal Yacht an aromatic doesn't make since to me but it appears that all sites including tobaccoreviews.com considers it an aro. Weird!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Hawky454,
You ask a really good question.
The answer is that we have chosen a "technical" definition of "aromatic."
Meaning: any tobacco with a substantial topping added.
This of course causes problems, because the "Danish aromatics" (goopy aromatics/candy aromatics) are far different from Royal Yacht and Prince Albert, for example.
I of course suggested the following linguistically dubious categories:
Semi-Aromatic: topping does not overwhelm underlying tobacco.
Aromatic: topping is more prominent than tobacco flavor.

There is just one definition of aromatic, and that is a blend that has been topped with a flavor, period. Now, topped and cased are completely different. The casing is a carbohydrate that is added before processing the leaf, and it can have flavoring, but most often not. PS LTF is one that has a heavy casing that makes this one taste like an aromatic, but it is not. Royal Yacht actually has a heavy dose of topping, but sometimes an aromatic may only have a light spray of the topping, which is applied at the very end of the processing. But, if you are not used to dark Virginias, you may not be able to distinguish topping from natural flavor. Wallace Flake and University Flake are two that has this topping added also. Many smoke it often without realizing that they smoke an aromatic. We just have a negative concept of what an aromatic is by Lanes and Sutliff drawing in children to the smoking hobby by adding candy flavorings to their crappy tobaccos. And, don't give me backtalk about them using quality tobaccos. No one does that to a real quality tobacco, ever. End of story. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No one does that to a real quality tobacco, ever.
This, I think, is the core of the "aromatic" issue.
In modern America, if someone defecates in your living room, you just spray Febreeze onto it and ignore the greasy hairy turds on your carpet.
If you have gunch-level Burley and Virginia tobaccos, cover them in sugar/alcohol/flavoring and no one will know.
In fact, the voters may pay more for them...
Inverted world.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would then need even more Fabreeze to also cover up the decaying body in the corner.
What incivility is this? Around here, bodies at least end up in the compost heap, and at worst, are put out with the recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.