PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I love the tin notes of most tobaccos, so this is a tough one to choose. Right now I'd say my top pick is a jar of aged Peter Stokkebye Bullseye flake that was jarred in 2008. It may just be because it smokes so well but when I pop that lid and take a whiff of that sweet, rich aroma I can't help but smile.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I like the smell of perique-heavy blends and also McClelland's Virginias. I can't keep my nose out of St. James Woods when I have a tin open.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I find there's often an inverse relationship between tin note and taste. The ones where opening the tin curls your nose hairs tend to taste great, and the really tasty-smelling tin notes often disappoint when smoked. Not always, but much of the time.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I find there's often an inverse relationship between tin note and taste. The ones where opening the tin curls your nose hairs tend to taste great, and the really tasty-smelling tin notes often disappoint when smoked. Not always, but much of the time.
I don't necessarily agree (though I've certainly had what you describe happen), but this brings up an interesting point.
Does the tin note really matter to you?
I find it does to me, and I don't know why. It seems to me that the tin note of tobacco is basically smelling a cake before it's cooked... it shouldn't really affect my opinion of the tobacco.
But it does seem to matter quite a bit to me--I suppose because pipe smoking is a bit of a ritualistic experience, and the tin note is part of that. Some blends I've gotten, I really liked even though I didn't like the tin note, and it really bothered me.

Status
Not open for further replies.