PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
fisher, that is an AWESOME deal. I would absolutely send that pipe away to one of the top restorers. Send it away, and a few weeks later, back it comes in tip-top shape. Just my two cents. But congratulations on finding a hard-to-find Dunhill. Thanks for sharing.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Congratulations nsfisher that has to be the deal of the year. Please post pics after you have finished restoring it.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
What a buy! I cannot wait to see it after you have restored it back to the condition it deserves!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow, what a deal on a sweet looking pipe. Can't wait to see the finished pics. Congrats fisher!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Wow congrats! I'm glad you finally found your Dunhill and for an amazing price. Good job my friend.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you all. I must admit, and the Wife was with me today, it took a little over an hour of haggling to get that price down to $50.00. Wife was not pleased over the "Pipe talk-negotiations today, but when I got it for the price I wanted, I had lots extra cash and took her out for supper. Then she was happy.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Nsfisher: For the last ten years I have been sending all my pipes that need extensive work to Walker Briar Works. He has been in business since 1968 and has not disappointed me yet. Plus he has a ozone machine that will sanitize a pipe ($4), thus by passing the mess that goes with trying to clean up and sanitize with alcohol and a retort. I would not let alcohol retort get near that pipe. Go to his web site and look at pipes for sale, he has quite a few Dunhill he has restored, and you can get a idea of what it will look like when finished. You got a great pipe there, enjoy.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Stunning catch, mate. Well worth the hour spent haggling over the price although this beauty is still a good deal at the seller's asking price.
As much as I admire your resto work I'd strongly recommend sending this chunk of briar to a seasoned professional. Holy Grail burners merit the dollars spent.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Definatley get an expert on that, since it is worth so much money; that is quite a steal.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
After much thought, I have decided to restore this myself. I have most of the oxidation removed from the stem. The bowl is reamed and the shank cleaned. I am now awaiting my Pipe restore kit from Walkerbriar.(wax and stem restore) I usually use wood and leather beeswax on my restores, but I think I will use the Carnuba wax and sealer on the Dunhill.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
fisher,
How's the refurb coming? Can't wait to see the pics.
--pitch
I have it all done except finishing it off with the Stem Restoration Kit. Which includes a bit more polishing on the stem and a coat or 2 of Carnuba on the bowl and shank. Still waiting for the Kit to arrive from WalkerBriarworks.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I can't wait till that kit gets up to you fisher. I am very happy for ya! Unfortunately I learned the other day that if I get a birth year Dunhill it will be machine made(1970) instead of a handmade pipe which I believe ended in the late 60's. On the bright side it should make the price a little better. I would definitely like to try one made in the 50's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.