PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick001

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
First time smoking a pipe and it was with some quiet nights by gl pease. Packed it full and lasted a good hour. Didn't really have a nicotine kick. And the taste was meh. Nothing good or bad. I did find out that my tongue would always feel like leather. So I guess that means smoke slower.
Idk, I guess pipe smoking is a mood thing and not for smoking everyday for me.
I'm going to finish up the tobacco I have, order a few more stuff that I want to try, and if I'm still not eager about it then ill go back to ryo cigarettes.
Any ways thanks guys, read a lot here and got informed.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The corn cob will improve in taste after you smoke it a few times. Try a couple of tobaccos too. One can be night and day from the others. I got a little more bite out of my cobb after I removed the filter. You're right, though. Smoke slower and you'll get less heat and bite.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Don't give up I was a 2 pac a day smoker now just pipe and I :puffy: love it and no smoky butts for Me never never never will I smoke a nail again. :puffy:

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Personally, I gave up the cob for the most part. Not anti-cob, by any means, but found that it must be my smoking style that gives me a poor smoke with one.
You have spent more in tobacco than you did in pipe. Maybe pick up a decent estate basket pipe, Grabow, or Kaywoodie off Ebay and see if that changes things.
some examples, for the sake of examples...
Estate One
Estate Two
no comment on the example pipes. Only to to make a point on pricing.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
You might want to read my Corncob Primer for information that might improve your smoking experience.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

nick001

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
Portascat, to me I think tobacco is more important than what you smoke out of. I feel with pipe smoking you either love your tobacco or you love your pipes. But once I think I like it or find a tasty tobacco that I could smoke forever and never get bored of, then ill spend a good $50 on a nice pipe and break it in.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Careful there. Some blends will only taste right in certain pipes, which you end up matching as you smoke different blends and so on and so forth.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I am no expert, but a pipe is a tool. A Poor performing tool makes things hard.
Unless you bought a high end cob, you are starting at the lowest end tool and judging from there. I can attest to not needing a Dunhill to enjoy a smoke, but taking your first smoke from a cob and getting Poor results is almost a given. Give it time. Read the primer presented, and try another pipe if you can.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
There are dozens of ways. Depending on hundreds of minor differences. I make some not too bad pipes. I only sell those that I feel will perform very well. Drilling, ratio of the size of the chamber to the airway, fit of the stem., whether the tenon bottoms out on the mortice. Then there is wall thickness , the quality of the material used for the bowl and stem. That covers a very few of the mechanics. When you get to finish there are hundreds more.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
And then you suddenly notice that one blend is much much better in one pipe than the other ones. Don't worry about the taste - at first it is really difficult to taste anything at all except a faint hint of a flavor. If you are a cig smoker then try something like Irish Oak or maybe Irish Flake.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I was also thinking that if you're used to burning butts that take about 5-7 minutes, then smoke a pipe for an hour, it might make your tongue feel like leather or give you a metallic taste at first, particularly on a hot smoke.
Maybe try half a bowl and a slower smoke and see how that fares. Scopin' out a couple of different tobaccos couldn't hurt either.
I like corn cobs, but it could be that like others on here, corn cobs really aren't your thing. Grab one of the briars the guys reccommended or try your luck with an estate pipe on ebay.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I'm sure this does not hold true for all pipe smokers who moved from cigs; however, I found that I was much more accustomed to Virginias, Burleys, and English blends that were not heavily flavored. If you like to RYO then you likely enjoy the taste of tobacco. Having said that you might try investigating blends that focus on delivering tobacco tastes rather than an aromatic flavor. Some of the brands I have really enjoyed are:
MacBaren

Scottish Blend

Golden Extra

Navy Flake

Hearth and Home

So many blends here (suggest reading about them)

Gawith Hoggarth and Co

Brown Irish X twist; will satisfy your nicotine cravings:)

Balkan Sasieni

All of the Frog Mortons
Anyways I quickly ditched most of the arromatics, and opted for more tobacco flavors.... still exploring, but the cigs are no longer a part of me. They are gone forever.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Smoking one blend isn't a fair test of pipe smoking, no matter if you use a cob or a briar. No one likes every single blend they smoke. I'd suggest sampling a range of blends before deciding if its for you or not. I doubt very much that the problem is the cob, but rather both the tobacco and your lack of experience and technique.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I just replaced the stem on one of the cobs I have that I didn't care all that much for. A regular vulcanite stem has made a world of difference. I will be smoking this one a lot more now. As tiltjlp says try several different blends everyone reacts differently to flavors and whatnot.

Jul 12, 2011
Cobs are killer, hate to say I smoke them more then some of my high end briars.....

But I do :) I got a few Jake Hackert cobs he customizes MM cob bowls with

Oak shanks and handcut vulcanite stems...I have two "Generals" one with a tapered stem

And other with saddle...both smoke like dreams...

nick001

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
Update: got out the bed at 6am. Made a huge glass of coffee graded the matches and packed at bowl of quiet night in a medico. Lasted about 1.5 hours and felt the nicotine buzz a little. It was satisfying. The taste and smell of quiet nights is musty and smokey. Since it was musty I could taste that when I puffed.
Anyways, what's a good rich flavor of tobacco? But not too over powering.

Status
Not open for further replies.