PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monssen13

Lurker
Oct 12, 2023
A family member has voiced concern to me that pipe tobacco may contain MSG, and smoking it would be bad for that reason. Has anyone heard of this? Perhaps it is an additive in cigarettes?
Thanks.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Lets start with the first issue. There is little real evidence to suggest that MSG is especially bad for you. Yes its a flavor enhancer. Yes it has sodium. It gets a bad rap becuse its in cheaper foods and some people claim alergies to it. The tobacco in tobacco is far worse for all of us than MSG. Im gonna simply call this BS

As for it being in tobacco...I really wonder. Some tobaccos have an unami flavor but that is when something in burnt. I dont even know if msg would taste anything like msg if burnt. As we all know, tobaccos taste far different burnt than they do in the tin.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
MSG is a neurological excitatory chemical (read neurotoxin) and is best avoided in the myriad of processed "foods" in which it is used to stimulate craving for said item.

I have never read that it is in tobacco.

Family member may be confused and have questions / concerns about propylene glycol, which is used in some blends for moisture retention.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
From the National Institute of health website (the ones that dont want us to smoke).

"Critical analysis of existing literature, establishes that many of the reported negative health effects of MSG have little relevance for chronic human exposure and are poorly informative as they are based on excessive dosing that does not meet with levels normally consumed in food products."

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Yeah, I only notice the MSG when I soak my tobacco in the broth of my shrimp w/mixed vegetables overnight.View attachment 264577
Just wanted to share. About 30 min after finishing my shrimp with mixed vegetables, egg drop soup, cheese wontons, egg roll, fried rice, and little chicken wing...I felt my heart racing in my chest and decided to take my blood pressure. My resting heart rate is usually in the mid 40s-50s bpm. This is why I limit myself to eating out just once a week. KIMG2843.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: canucklehead

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
msg is naturally occurring so damn good chance.
From the National Institute of health website (the ones that dont want us to smoke).

"Critical analysis of existing literature, establishes that many of the reported negative health effects of MSG have little relevance for chronic human exposure and are poorly informative as they are based on excessive dosing that does not meet with levels normally consumed in food products."

What kills me is the whole MSG super bad came from one doctor who ate a ton of chinesse food and got the symptoms of consuming too much sodium and spiking the hell out their blood pressure, but instead said it must be some exotic poison.
Oh if you're worried about MSG get rid of your mushroom and lots of other veggies.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I try to avoid MSG, would never trust NIH and have no idea why MSG would even be added to smoking tobacco. Maybe chewing tobacco or snuff but I've never heard of it in pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.